2021 QB Jakolby Longino

Official Cane Gang

Sophomore

6-2 195, from Hightower HS in TX

Gunslinger with elite athleticism

Currently a UTEP commit

Kid has the subtle nuances that can change a game

He can freeze a defender and then get a pass off

Has a lot of arm strength and doesn't seem to risk his accuracy when zipping the ball in

Advertisement
I am convinced that if we don't get JG then Lashlee is fine hitting the portal. We don't see any QB offers going out for 2021 and this would be the time with a few weeks off, worst case throw out some feelers but I don't think we have heard much on that front.

I am convinced that if we don't get JG then Lashlee is fine hitting the portal. We don't see any QB offers going out for 2021 and this would be the time with a few weeks off, worst case throw out some feelers but I don't think we have heard much on that front.
Right. No need to take a project qb when we have TVD ready in 2 years. We need a transfer portal qb with 1 yr of eligibility.

Advertisement
So let’s go after a player that his other 2 offers are Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern?!!!!
normally I would agree. But if you honestly look at this video and tell me this kid belongs at one of those 2 schools, I got some beachfront property in Tennessee to sell you. He’s a P5 QB IMO. I know it’s a highlight video, but he’s got some things that says P5 QB. And there’s some things that jump off of the film. Size? Check. He’s 6’2 or 6’3. Arm strength? Check. Got that for days. Athleticism? Check. Look at the film. Accuracy? Check the stats. (Also depends on who he’s playing,🤣) But this kid can play. He does have a long, wind up before throwing the ball, but coaching can help that. He almost looks like a taller version of King, TBH.

So let’s go after a player that his other 2 offers are Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern?!!!!

Especially in this covid environment, the tape and not just the offer list matter. Besides, the UTEP offer for a QB like this is stronger than it looks. Some people will clown the UTEP commitment, but Chico Canales knows QBs. Ask Philip Rivers or Matt Grothe. Dude also had Willie Tuitama breaking records at Arizona about a decade ago.

On the highlights, I see an athletic kid with poise in the pocket and a strong arm who extends plays with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield.
Several plays where he shows great tools. The play at 40 seconds where he is going to get hit but maintains his base to make a TD throw... The play at 2:25 where he throws a beautiful back shoulder fade to for a TD. And his OL isn't doing him any favors throughout the film... they're letting DL come free off the edge and allowing free blitzers avoided for big plays... several high/low snaps turned into big plays....

And apparently, this is only his second season as the starting QB for his HS football team. In a normal recruiting cycle, I expect this kid would have been hearing from a lot more teams over the last 2 1/2 months. I'm not a QB whisperer or scout, but this kid seems like he's only sliding under the radar because he is blowing up during a pandemic. But the tools and traits are there.

Advertisement
Back