2021 4-star OT McLaughlin Discusses Miami Commitment

View as article
Sounds like a great ******* commit to me. Locking down an OL kid with no BS is a major plus. Allows us to take shots at other top targets we might not have much chance with with less risk at failing and then needing to get a plan c kid...

Great size too, and since he was a TE hopefully he's really athletic. And him having good grades is another big positive. Overall just a quality pickup. But we still need to get a lot more Olineman.

Advertisement
I mean if you look at history, he is destined to be at worst a solid 2 year starter who anchors that OT spot. At best you are looking at All-ACC and an NFL prospect. How many times have we heard about players who were TEs in HS and develop into good-great college OTs? It seems like the blueprint. Huge pickup. Just huge. I read somewhere on this board where he went from an unranked prospect to now being a top 150 prospect? This could be a steal.

Advertisement
6'8'', 265 with another year of HS left. Dude will be 6'8'', 280 ish by the time he is here and with a year of work on a college weight program, will be a 6'8'', 300 pound, lean and athletic OT. Yes Please!!!!

This is what has made Wisconsin an OL factory. Take exactly these types of kids, give them a year or two in the strength program and then boom, All-American OL after All-American OL.

Runs a 5.25 40 which would not be a bad time for OT at the combine
I mean if you look at history, he is destined to be at worst a solid 2 year starter who anchors that OT spot. At best you are looking at All-ACC and an NFL prospect. How many times have we heard about players who were TEs in HS and develop into good-great college OTs? It seems like the blueprint. Huge pickup. Just huge. I read somewhere on this board where he went from an unranked prospect to now being a top 150 prospect? This could be a steal.
Predict All ACC and NFL 1st day pick. Might be better suited playing for Aquinas or another top SFL HS his last year to get more playing time against top flight DL.

6'8'', 265 with another year of HS left. Dude will be 6'8'', 280 ish by the time he is here and with a year of work on a college weight program, will be a 6'8'', 300 pound, lean and athletic OT. Yes Please!!!!

This is what has made Wisconsin an OL factory. Take exactly these types of kids, give them a year or two in the strength program and then boom, All-American OL after All-American OL.
Meh. There are a lot of tall somewhat thin HS kids. What makes Wisconsin an OL factory is that they know how to EVALUATE them reasonably well. Whether this kid would be a take for Wisconsin is what you should ask yourself. If not, I’m not clear on why they’re the example to point to.

Don’t get me wring, I like the commitment. But it ain’t as easy as just signing kids who look like Wisconsin kids. They gotta have the athletic ability, mindset and developmental potential to grow into what you see Wisconsin OL as representing. I have no idea if our new OL coach is a good evaluator.

Advertisement
Meh. There are a lot of tall somewhat thin HS kids. What makes Wisconsin an OL factory is that they know how to EVALUATE them reasonably well. Whether this kid would be a take for Wisconsin is what you should ask yourself. If not, I’m not clear on why they’re the example to point to.

Don’t get me wring, I like the commitment. But it ain’t as easy as just signing kids who look like Wisconsin kids. They gotta have the athletic ability, mindset and developmental potential to grow into what you see Wisconsin OL as representing. I have no idea if our new OL coach is a good evaluator.
With the type of offense we're running now, I'm not so sure I want Wisconsin-style offensive linemen anyway. Mauling run blockers would have been great for Enos' system but we're no longer attempting to be a power run blocking offense.

With the type of offense we're running now, I'm not so sure I want Wisconsin-style offensive linemen anyway. Mauling run blockers would have been great for Enos' system but we're no longer attempting to be a power run blocking offense.
You’re right that our prototype should differ from theirs under Lashlee. But our OL have been so bad and thers so good.... Their ‘run blockers’ pass block just fine in the NFL. Joe Thomas could play anywhere. I’d settle for a good, competent OL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back