2015 NFL Draft: Canes Related

duke_johnson_and_phillip_dorsett.jpg

WR Phillip Dorsett shines at Hurricanes pro day

By James Walker, ESPN Miami Dolphins reporter

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- University of Miami wide receiver Phillip Dorsett didn't have to participate in every drill during the school's annual pro day Wednesday. Dorsett established through game film and the combine that he's already one of the fastest players in the NFL draft.

However, Dorsett opted to dazzle coaches, general managers and scouts one more time with his blazing speed and good hands. He officially ran a 4.25 and 4.27 during a pair of 40-yard dashes, performed good routes and didn't gave any drops during passing drills.

Overall, Dorsett's star shined brightest at Hurricanes' pro day.

"I improved on everything I did at the combine, so I think I had a good day," Dorsett said afterward. "I wouldn't say [I had] anything to prove. It's just me and my competitive spirit, coming out here and doing everything because I know everybody wants to see it. Everybody likes to see a guy go out and compete and do everything.

"I made my mind up right after the combine that I was going to do everything at pro day, even though I had a good combine."

Dorsett's two sprints Wednesday morning created a buzz from NFL personnel and onlookers. I saw several scouts looking at each other's stopwatches to make sure they had the right sub-4.3 time after Dorsett crossed the finish line.

It was an ideal time for Dorsett to perform well. According to the University of Miami's athletic department, representatives from all 32 teams were in attendance to watch Dorsett and other Hurricanes who are entering the draft later this month. The Miami Dolphins, in particular, had 13 representatives, including head coach Joe Philbin, general manager Dennis Hickey and vice president Mike Tannenbaum.

"The guys did a great job today," Hickey said of Hurricanes players. "You just match it up with the college tape."

Dorsett said he will work out with the Dolphins before the draft, as well as the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers. He has no idea where he will end up but could help a team looking for speed at receiver and in the return game.

"I have some workouts coming up, but you can't really tell," Dorsett explained. "You never know. I've heard stories about guys thinking teams are going to draft them, and they get drafted by a team that they never thought would draft them. So you never know how the draft is going to go."

40-Yard Dash:
Duke Johnson — Wide range of reports, from a 4.47 to the 4.4 range and even in the 4.3’s.
Phillip Dorsett — 4.25, 4.26
Denzel Perryman — 4.67
Ladarius Gunter — 4.56

Vertical Jump:
Phillip Dorsett — 38 inches

Last edited:
Advertisement
Phillip Dorsett improves 40-yard dash time at Miami’s pro day

By Matt Porter, Palm Beach Post
9:08 p.m. Wednesday, April 1, 2015

CORAL GABLES — Phillip Dorsett could have rested Wednesday at UM’s pro day, secure in the knowledge that he is one of the fastest players in this year’s NFL draft class.

But he trusted his gut, moved his feet and opened a lot of very important eyes.

Representatives from all 32 NFL teams, including four head coaches and seven general managers, and a who’s-who of old-time Hurricanes watched Dorsett put on a show on an gorgeous, 80-degree afternoon at Greentree Practice Fields.

The man with the $100,000 legs – he earned that sum from sponsor Adidas for his 4.33-second laser-timed 40-yard dash at the NFL combine – and Technicolor cleats finished two heats in 4.25 and 4.27 seconds.

That’s according to a group of scouts who were using hand-held stopwatches to time him. UM did not release any numbers.

“A lot of people told me, ‘Don’t run. Just do position drills.’ But I knew I could do better,” Dorsett said. “Everybody likes to see a guy go out and compete and do everything.”

Dorsett, who stands 5-foot-10 and 184 pounds, increased his vertical leap from 37 to 38 inches. He ran crisp, shifty routes and did not drop a pass. He cemented his status as one of the top receiver prospects in the NFL draft, which begins April 30.

“He looked fantastic,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said in a video recap, calling Dorsett the “star of the day.”
phillip_dorsett_pro_day.jpg

Nineteen Hurricanes interviewed with and performed a variety of drills for nearly 80 NFL personnel. The Dolphins sent several high-ranking officials, including general manager Dennis Hickey, vice president Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Joe Philbin.

Former UM players Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Andre Johnson, Frank Gore and several others showed their support. Jonathan Vilma was reporting for NBC Sports along with former Dolphin Jason Taylor. He spent time joking with Denzel Perryman, a fellow Coral Gables High grad and ex-UM linebacker.

“I told him if the Saints [were] going to pick me, I was going to take his number and do better than he did,” Perryman said.

Perryman and running back Duke Johnson improved on their combine 40 times, which could help NFL teams feel better about their less-than-ideal stature. Johnson, who measured 5-9 and 203 pounds, turned his 4.54 into two identical heats of 4.47. Perryman dropped from 4.78 to 4.67, but ended his day early after pulling his hamstring on his second attempt.

“I think a lot of teams just wanted to see what I could run,” said Perryman, who said he measured 5-foot-11 and 239 pounds. “I answered a lot of questions.”

Battling a tender hamstring of his own, tight end Clive Walford did not run the 40 but performed pass-catching drills. The Glades Central grad was supremely confident about his body of work. “We [UM] produce great tight ends,” he said. “We’ve got great ones to come. I felt I kept up that legacy.”

Mayock was impressed with the Hurricanes’ crop of offensive linemen, who looked agile and powerful in drills.

“I counted eight to 10 offensive line coaches, obviously here to mostly see [sure first-rounder] Ereck Flowers,” he said. “But [Jon] Feliciano could get drafted. Shane McDermott could get drafted. I thought it was a great day for that whole group of players.”
1021_umfoot040215_pro_tryou.JPG

Offensive linemen Jonathan Feliciano and Ereck Flowers go through drill as the University of Miami Hurricanes Pro Day

Dorsett, Johnson and Walford lauded the performance of quarterback Ryan Williams, who tore his ACL last April 4 and attempted one pass in his senior season. He completed all but two of the 50 he threw Wednesday.

“I’m always positive,” Williams said. “Regardless if I get drafted or not, I’m still going to get a chance somewhere.”

Last edited:
Who impressed at Miami Hurricanes pro day, and which NFL personnel attended

By Matt Porter, Palm Beach Post
April 2, 2015

CORAL GABLES – I wrote the above story for Thursday’s Post about UM’s Pro Timing Day, held Wednesday. Here’s a host of notes from Greentree Practice Fields …

* In front of reps from all 32 NFL teams, the unquestioned star was receiver Phillip Dorsett. He blazed his way to an unofficial 4.25-second 40-yard dash after running an already-excellent 4.33 at the NFL combine in February. He could have settled on that time and simply performed pass-catching drills for NFL scouts, but Dorsett wanted to put on a show.

“It was just me and my competitive spirit just coming out here and doing everything,” Dorsett said. “Because I know everybody wants to see it. Everybody likes to see a guy go out and compete and do everything.”

Dorsett, who measured in at 5-foot-10 and 184 pounds, said he improved his vertical to 38 inches (he leaped 37 at the combine) and bench-pressed 225 pounds 13 times (he did not lift at the combine).

For me, the star of the day was Phillip Dorsett,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “A kid who didn’t have to do anything because he performed so well at the combine. What did he do today? Comes out runs a 4.25, 4.26, jumps 38 inches, 10-9 broad [jump], and then looked fantastic catching the football and getting in and out of breaks. I thought Phillip Dorsett had an outstanding day.”

Dorsett will work out for the Dolphins, Panthers and Falcons. What if the hometown chose him?

“Being a Hurricane and I always was a fan of the Dolphins, too,” said Dorsett, from Fort Lauderdale-St. Thomas Aquinas. “It would be great. It would be a dream come true,” he said.

* Linebacker Denzel Perryman suffered a pulled right hamstring and scratched on his second attempt at running the 40-yard dash. UM did not release official testing results to the media, but according to a group of scouts that got together and compared times, Perryman’s first heat in the 40 was a 4.67 — better than the 4.78 he ran in Indianapolis.

He did not perform in the shuttle, 3-cone and positional drills. He said not being able to finish was “real disappointing, but I think a lot of teams just wanted to see what I could run. I feel I accomplished that today. I answered a lot of questions.”

He said he measured in at 5-11 and 239 pounds and put up 30 reps of 225 pounds. He increased his vertical from 32 (combine) to 33 inches.

Perryman watched film with the Lions hours before pro day began and has three NFL team visits lined up: he will meet with the Dolphins next Thursday, the Falcons on April 12 and the Panthers on April 16. Along with Clive Walford and Dorsett, he ate dinner with Saints brass Tuesday night at Fleming’s Steakhouse in Coral Gables. Perryman said he ate shrimp and scallops (Rob Ryan had a steak, if you were wondering).

* Running back Duke Johnson ran a 4.47 twice, which was a much better result than his combine time (4.54). He also “caught the ball naturally,” according to Mayock.

Why run the 40 again? “I wanted to do it for myself, because I know I can do better, and I know I train too hard to run what I ran at the combine,” he said, adding that his “game speed speaks for itself. … If you run 4.2, 4.3 but you don’t play it, it really doesn’t make a difference.”

Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey agreed.

“When we watch guys play with helmets and shoulder pads, those are the important things,” he said. “Those guys that play fast and also run fast, that’s great. The importance is the speed they play at.” The 40 time is “a measurement — you always judge it against how they play.”
duke_johnson_pro_day.jpg

RB Duke Johnson runs a drill during Hurricanes pro day.

Johnson, who measured in at 5-9 and 203 pounds, said he did 18 reps of 225. He did not lift at the NFL combine.

* Tight end Clive Walford did not run because he suffered a hamstring pull last week. Walford (6-4, 250) said he would meet with the Steelers after pro day and the Falcons and Packers in the coming days. He said he has talked to a laundry list of teams, including the Dolphins, Saints, Falcons, Packers, Broncos, Chargers, 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs and Buccaneers.

Walford, a Glades Central grad and South Bay native, on the hometown team: “I talked to them. I wouldn’t say a lot, but I saw that move that they made this offseason. Shout-out to the Dolphins.” He’s talking, of course, about the Fins adding Ndamukong Suh.

Is UM’s tight end tradition helping his draft stock? “We produce great tight ends,” he said. “Look at the history. We’ve got great ones to come. I feel I kept up that legacy. Hopefully the young ones do as well.

clive_walford_pro_day.jpg

Glades Central grad Clive Walford at Hurricanes pro day

* Offensive tackle Ereck Flowers, a projected first-rounder, did not perform lifting drills – he was the top overall bench-presser at the NFL combine, with 37 reps of 225 – but did everything else. Flowers did not speak to the media (he rarely does).

Mayock was very high on Flowers, Jon Feliciano and Shane McDermott‘s performances.

“I counted eight to 10 offensive line coaches, obviously here to see mostly Ereck Flowers, who I think is going to be a first-round draft pick,” he said. “But Feliciano could get drafted. Shane McDermott could get drafted. I thought it was a great day for that whole group of players.”

* Defensive end Anthony Chickillo, who looked even lighter than he did at the combine (when he measured 6-3, 267), looked like a much more explosive p_layer_ than he was as a 280-pound strong-side defensive end at UM. “Very twitchy” was Walford’s assessment. “Quick. Fast.”

temp040215_miami_6__nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

* Quarterbacks Ryan Williams and Jake Heaps threw a variety of routes for scouts. Williams said he checked in at 6-4 and change and 215 pounds, and ran a 4.84 in the 40. Before tearing his ACL last April 4 – 362 days ago – he said he ran in the 5-second range. He definitely looked a lot faster than before. He has several meetings scheduled, but has not worked out with an NFL team.

“I’m always positive,” Williams said. “Regardless if I get drafted or not I’m still going to get a chance somewhere so I’m not really worried about the draft.”

* Cornerback Ladarius Gunter ran a solid 4.56 time in the 40 and looked very rangy in coverage drills. He’s projected as a mid-round pick.

* Linebacker Thurston Armbrister showed good speed and agility, though he struggled to catch interceptions in drills. Would bet he gets a shot somewhere.
788_umfoot040215_pro_tryout.JPG

Linebacker Thurston Armbrister runs through drills as the University of Miami Hurricanes hold Pro Day

* Defensive tackle Olsen Pierre ran a 5.15 in the 40.
temp040215_miami_2__nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

* If you saw my Twitter feed, you’ll get a roll of NFL personnel I spotted, but among the notables were a large contingent of Dolphins personnel (GM Dennis Hickey, VP Mike Tannenbaum, head coach Joe Philbin, offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, running backs coach Jeff Nixon, special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi), Jets head coach Todd Bowles, Saints head coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. NFL Network said seven GMs attended, including Hickey. The others: Mickey Loomis (Saints), Mike Maccagnan (Jets), Kevin Colbert (Steelers), Doug Whaley (Bills), Steve Keim (Arizona), Ruston Webster (Tennessee) and Floyd Reese (Giants). Former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland, now a college scout with New Orleans, was also there.

* Former Hurricanes who attended included Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Demarcus Van Dyke, Jacory Harris, Lamar Miller and Tommy Streeter. A slew of players from the 2012 and 2013 teams were there. Jonathan Vilma was also in attendance, working for NBC Sports along with former Dolphins great Jason Taylor. NFL Network had a five-person crew and analyst Mike Mayock interviewed several UM players and coach Al Golden, who did not speak to other media.

* UM running back Gus Edwards, a rising junior, attended pro day with his left arm in a sling. Edwards suffered a shoulder injury last Saturday in the Hurricanes’ spring game.

Last edited:
Former Hurricanes get tryouts for NFL scouts at UM’s Pro Day

Former Hurricanes such as Shane McDermott will try to impress NFL scouts during UM’s Pro Day on Wednesday.

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN, MIAMIHERALD.COM
03/31/2015 8:46 PM 03/31/2015 10:49 PM

Former University of Miami center Shane McDermott never got invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Wednesday is his day.

“Obviously, it’s a very crucial day in my career,” said McDermott, 23, of Pro Day, when dozens of NFL coaches and scouts will gather on UM’s Greentree Field to watch former Hurricanes run the 40-yard dash and perform individual drills after their physical testing is done inside. “I’ve been working these past three months for this day.

“It’s a special moment because it will be the last time I ever play or perform on Greentree related to [UM]. For me this is the last part of college.”

McDermott will be joined by more than a dozen former UM players — high profile and otherwise. Some will choose not to participate in certain drills or lifting if, for example, they feel they did well enough at the combine. Others will do it all.

Pro Day is closed to the public.

“Those guys have been working their tails off, putting a lot of time in, making a lot of sacrifices and I know that they’ll knock it out on Wednesday,” UM coach Al Golden said. “A great group of guys, and I think they’re making things happen. They’re doing a lot of things together.

“A lot of the other guys that are already in the NFL are helping them through that process. I sense a calmness. I sense a confidence, and I really think they’re going to do well.”

Said McDermott: “Of course you have butterflies, but I’m confident in what I’ve been doing these past couple months, and I’m more ready than ever.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...of-miami/article17056550.html#story_link_=cpy

* Former Hurricanes running back Damien Berry, a Glades Central grad who won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2012, was the oldest of several pre-2014 Hurricanes who worked out (linebacker Tyrone Cornelius and defensive end Shayon Green, both from the 2013 team, also performed). “I’m still young, 26 years old. I think it’s time to give it another shot,” said Berry, who last played for UM in 2010 and now lives in Boca Raton. Berry, 5-11 and 230 pounds, he said he ran a 4.7 in the 40.
temp040215_miami_3__nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

4/2/15
Miami LB Shayon Green signed
Aaron WilsonVerified account ‏@RavensInsider
Steelers sign former Maine linebacker Shayon Green

Last edited:
Final thoughts from Miami Hurricanes' pro day

By James Walker, ESPN Miami Dolphins reporter
2 hours ago

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Final thoughts and observations from the Miami Hurricanes' pro day ...

One of the biggest takeaways was all 32 NFL teams had representation in Coral Gables Wednesday. There is legitimate buzz about the University of Miami players, and that is very telling because the Hurricanes were just 6-7 last year. This is a clear sign that Miami has talent but drastically underachieved under head coach Al Golden. Miami could have five projected first- or second-round picks in left tackle Ereck Flowers, receiver Phillip Dorsett, linebacker Denzel Perryman, tight end Clive Walford and running back Duke Johnson. This team should not have finished with a losing record.

The Miami Dolphins also had an NFL-high 13 representatives at the Hurricanes’ pro day. One of the complaints from Dolphins fans has been how much homegrown talent has gotten away over the years. However, the Dolphins’ front office and coaching staff had a heavy presence on campus for this year’s Hurricanes pro day, which included vice president Mike Tannenbaum, general manager Dennis Hickey and head coach Joe Philbin. The Dolphins also will work out top Hurricanes prospects before the draft, such as Dorsett, Perryman and Walford.
temp040215_miami_5__nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

I noticed Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor had an extended chat with Golden during Wednesday’s pro day. Lazor coaches offense. So it’s safe to assume he was seeking more intel from Golden on that side of the football. In terms of scheme, Dorsett and Johnson are probably the two best fits for the Dolphins’ quick-hitting offense. Both players said they would be happy to stay local. Dorsett, in particular, told me at the Senior Bowl he grew up a Dolphins fan and rarely misses a game.

Philbin, Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints and Todd Bowles of the New York Jets were among the NFL head coaches I saw in attendance. Hickey, Kevin Colbert of the Steelers and Doug Whaley of the Buffalo Bills were among the general managers who attended.

2015 NFL DRAFT
NFL DraftRound 1: April 30, 8 p.m. ET
Rds. 2-3: May 1, 7 p.m. ET
Rds. 4-7: May 2, noon ET
Where: Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, Chicago

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami's Phillip Dorsett runs the 40 in 4.25 seconds

By Mike Huguenin, NFL.com - College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 1, 2015 at 01:39 p.m. Updated: April 1, 2015 at 06:25 p.m.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami wide receiver Phillip Dorsett is one of the fastest players in the draft, and he showed that again Wednesday at the Hurricanes' pro day, with unofficial clockings of 4.25 and 4.27 seconds in the 40.

Dorsett, who measured in at 5-foot-10 and 184 pounds, ran the 40 in an impressive 4.33 seconds at the combine, and he said Wednesday that even though he felt he had a good combine, "I knew then I would do all the drills on pro day."

Dorsett said a good start led to the great 40 time. His 4.33 time at the combine was the third-fastest, and 4.25 would have been the fastest at the combine.

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said he thinks Dorsett is a "borderline" first-round guy and also said Dorsett is his favorite UM prospect in this draft.

Dorsett said he has scheduled meetings with the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers and Miami Dolphins and that he had dinner Tuesday night with the New Orleans Saints. Dorsett said he has talked with former UM star wide receivers Andre Johnson and Santana Moss for advice, and he said the one thing he wants to show in his team visits is that "I am willing to learn, willing to work."

Dorsett's speed obviously means he can be a dangerous deep threat, but he said he has some things ne needs to work on. An example? "I didn't get pressed a lot," he said, noting that he needs to work on beating press coverage.

Dorsett and Florida State's Rashad Greene were the starting wide receivers at powerhouse Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas High, and it's likely that both will be off the board by the end of the second round.

In addition to preparing for the draft, Dorsett is taking three classes this semester and is scheduled to graduate in May with a sociology degree.

1330_umfoot040215_pro_tryou.JPG

Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett runs with the ball during drills as the University of Miami Hurricanes (Photo: Miami Herald)

Last edited:
Jerry Reese attends Miami Pro Day; Is Denzel Perryman a possibile Giants pick?

Nick Powell | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Nick Powell | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on April 02, 2015 at 9:30 AM, updated April 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Jerry Reese's pre-draft domestic tour continued on Wednesday, as several members of the Giants brass were spotted at the University of Miami's Pro Day scouting prospects.

Miami is not quite the hotbed of NFL talent that it used to be, and the Giants have not had much success drafting former Hurricanes. Aside from tight end Jeremy Shockey, who enjoyed a very good 10-year NFL career, the other Giants draft picks by way of Miami (William Joseph, Sinorice Moss, Kenny Phillips) failed to make a dent in the league.

But "The U" has a handful of interesting athletes in this year's draft class, including offensive tackle Ereck Flowers, linebacker Denzel Perryman, running back Duke Johnson, wide receiver Phillip Dorsett, and tight end Clive Walford. The Giants have previously met with most of those players individually, whether at the Senior Bowl or the Scouting Combine, and visiting the Pro Day is a continuation of the "doing homework" phase of draft preparation.

Reese, Marc Ross, the vice president of player evaluation, and head scout Joe Collins were all in attendance (that's Reese seated in the bottom left corner wearing a Giants cap), and typically when a team has three of their chief talent evaluators at a college Pro Day, it's because there is heavy interest in some of their players.

All five of Miami's top prospects would fill a positional need for the Giants, but only Flowers is a real option for their first round pick.

Which NFL Draft prospects have the Giants met with?
Flowers is a potential Pro Bowl tackle, according to NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, a supremely athletic but raw talent, with prototypical size (6-6, 329 pounds) who the Giants have rated very highly. Flowers played both right and left tackle in college, and is considered more advanced as a run blocker than he is in pass protection. The Giants could certainly use a road-grader on their offensive line to open holes for Rashad Jennings and Shane Vereen.

But keep an eye on Perryman as a possible option in the second round, where the Giants have the 40th overall pick. The Giants are very thin at middle linebacker behind starter Jon Beason, who is 30 and has been injury prone throughout his career.

Perryman was a highly decorated player at Miami, a third-team All-American, first-team All-ACC and Butkus Award (nation's top linebacker) finalist who led the Hurricanes with 110 tackles. He is a shade undersize, measuring at only 5-11, 239 pounds at the Pro Day, but packs a punch as a tackler and is known as a very cerebral and tough player on the field.

Former Jets and Saints middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who also was small for his position, compared Perryman favorably to himself, telling NFL.com that football instincts are "undervalued because it's not a measurable."

There are questions about Perryman's pass coverage ability, however, and he does not have blazing sideline-to-sideline speed. Perryman tweaked his hamstring during his first 40-yard dash at the Pro Day, but actually improved upon his pedestrian 4.78 seconds 40 time at the Combine, telling reporters that he ran it in 4.56 seconds.

As for the other top Miami prospects, Dorsett and Johnson bring an element of speed that the Giants could use on offense, especially Dorsett, who ran a ridiculous 4.25 40-yard dash at the Pro Day after running the third-fastest 40 at the Combine, 4.33 seconds. Johnson is small at only 5-9, 207 pounds, but has explosive quickness and could potentially contribute right away as a third-down running back.

1430_umfoot040215_pro_tryou.JPG

We won't know whether any of these players impressed Reese and company enough to call their phones on draft day, but it is safe to say that Miami has some intriguing prospects for them to consider.

Last edited:
Pro Day Thread:
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/87271-Pro-Day!-Future-Pro-Canes-(pics)

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=209996610

Miami Hurricanes Hold #ProDayAtTheU

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami football team will held its annual pro day Wednesday morning inside the Schwartz Athletic Center.

The Hurricanes featured 15 players that displayed their talents to representatives from all 32 NFL teams in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft opens on Thursday, April 30 and runs through May 2 in Chicago, Ill.

Gallery

1011_umfoot040215_pro_tryou.JPG

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back