2012 Hurricanes: 8-4 or bust

Can we at least wait until how we look as a team during spring ball before predicting what our record should be.

No its the ACC

Yes, the ACC this current team went 3-5 in. If you feel comfortable predicting next year based on this then fine do your thing. But me im going to wait until after the spring when I see in what areas the team has actually improved in. No sense in setting yourself up for disappointment.

Advertisement
Can we at least wait until how we look as a team during spring ball before predicting what our record should be.

No its the ACC

Yes, the ACC this current team went 3-5 in. If you feel comfortable predicting next year based on this then fine do your thing. But me im going to wait until after the spring when I see in what areas the team has actually improved in. No sense in setting yourself up for disappointment.

Even then be careful with that. I mean, I saw Alabama's spring game and they looked mediocre. UM's.....people were blowing them up like we were going to win it all. Look at what's going down now?

Spring game really doesn't tell you too much when you played it, this past spring at least, against THAT defense.

Who do we play first? That game will tell you everything you need to know.

If we win our scrimmage this spring I think we'll know a lot about the team.

Advertisement

No its the ACC

Even then be careful with that. I mean, I saw Alabama's spring game and they looked mediocre. UM's.....people were blowing them up like we were going to win it all. Look at what's going down now?

Spring game really doesn't tell you too much when you played it, this past spring at least, against THAT defense.

Who do we play first? That game will tell you everything you need to know.

well our last spring told us we still couldn't tackle, and from the practice reports our offense was lighting up our Defense. Which we came to find out that our offense was good but our D couldn't cover our grandma's.

So if I see improvement in the little things like that would make me feel a little more encouraged about setting a bar for the team.

I just want to see this team take a big stride next year....I know we are thin on D but we need some juco kids or kids that are ready to step in and play now.. We need to be kinda 1999 ready even though 2000 would be a nice surprise..

I agree with this 100%. Just as long as the team is taking nice steps forward instead of backwards I am perfectly ok with that for next season. IMO, 8-4 is a very reasonable goal for next year's team. We went 6-6 this season, but don't forget we were a couple plays away in each of those 6 losses from them being totally different outcomes. We are so close to breaking through, I think we have to go 8-4 at the worst, just for recruiting purposes. I also think we have the talent to at least go 8-4 or 9-3.

The defensive line should be MUCH improved next season as long as we stay healthy. We lose Spence which would be a huge loss for most programs, but I am confident that other players will be developed enough to the point that our linebackers as a unit will be better. I am not sure about our secondary, but I think another off-season learning D'Onofrio's scheme can only help. Hopefully Fisch can develop a QB, I personally think Morris has tons of talent, he just needs to be coached up. Our offensive line has the potential to be dominant, but then again it had the potential to be dominant this season too. So we will see.

Going 8-4 or 9-3 could get some top kids to think "Miami is really rebuilding, that is something I want to be a part of." I also want to see at least a split with FSU and Virginia Tech. I do not want to get swept by both again, especially since both are at home.

No its the ACC

Its not a prediction. Its what I think he should do in 2012. If this staff is going to be ininitely better than the **** that got us to this point, then expecting them to be better than 7 wins is not unrealistic. 8 would be progress but in this conference a good coach in his 2nd year should be able to win 9 with all upperclassmen having 2 offseasons under him going into next year.

How far have we fallen.

8 - 4 is pathetic. Only Noles fans look forward to 4 loss seasons.

Ok, then why don't you tell us what we should reasonably expect our record to be next year?

I'm with the OP, either 8-4 or 9-3 is what a good staff could do with this team next season.

Really. You think KSU, FSU, ND & V Tech are that much more talented?

KSU loses 3 of 5 starters on the OL and their best DT & End.

FSU is overrated and loses Bradham the heart of that defense.

ND loses their entire secondary and 3 of 5 starters on the OL & Michael Floyd.

V Tech loses nearly all of their starting 5 on the OL and their starting Wrs .

Virginia loses 3 of 4 starters on the DL & 3 of 4 in their secondary.

NC loses Tydreke powel & Quentin Coples from the Dl, Zach brown at MLB & Charles brown at CB & Dwight jones at WR. All difference makers.

Duke & Bethune Cookman should be automatics on our schedule.

Plus NC, VT & FSU are at home.

We could and should win 10 games.

49.jpg

Advertisement
I agree with the 8 wins. Although I think we win two tougher games and lose to two teams we should beat.

How far have we fallen.

Ok, then why don't you tell us what we should reasonably expect our record to be next year?

I'm with the OP, either 8-4 or 9-3 is what a good staff could do with this team next season.

NC loses Tydreke powel & Quentin Coples from the Dl, Zach brown at MLB & Charles brown at CB & Dwight jones at WR. All difference makers.

Yep...based on this, what Miami has coming back and Golden being a "real coach". miami should win ten games min next year. Anything else is trash. Miami lost a bunch of close games this year. Next year we should win those.

How far have we fallen.

You speak of other teams losing other players like if you are returning 22 starters. You guys are breaking in a new QB, probably a new RB, and losing a few nice players in some important spots. What you want more than a particular amount of wins are some signs that the process of getting better is underway. What you should look for more next year is promise from your young offensive players. Some progression from whoever is QB, Duke johnson getting meaningful PT and looking good (he looks like your RB of the future), and a young WR stepping up. Defensively you want to see better play from the secondary and Perryman follow through with how promising he's looked.

Those things happen and 8-4 or 9-3 is doable. ACC is probably out of the question. VT seems to find a way to lock down the coastal, and you guys have too many Qs surrounding the team to realistically expect to win your division. The biggest win you should be hoping for next year is a bowl win. That would be a good sign you're getting better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm trying to figure how people think this team will win 8-9 games with a squad that's less talented then the one that just went 6-6. A team losing four of its best players, gaping holes and zero depth at LB and CB, safeties that don't make plays, dline full of guys that underachieve or can't stay on the field, shaky depth at WR if Street leaves and big question at QB. I'm not seeing 8 wins.

Advertisement
Quarterback
Wide receiver
Tightened
Offensive and defensive lines
Linebackers
Corners
Safeties
Special tems

Will all have talented players retuning
The only questions are Will they finally work Harder in the weight room, practice field and in the classroom

That's the problem with your argument. You just assume that guys who have played very little will turn out great. There's too many unknowns to think the team will be good. Maybe all the new guys pan out, but that's doubtful

QB - Morris has shown some ability, but nothing to make you think we're set there. Other guys have never taken a snap.
WR - If Streeter stays we'll be okay. If not it's Hurns, Dorsett and no one behind them that's done anything.
TE - Looking decent here. Walford looks promising
Oline - Good shape for starting lineup
LB's - Perryman looks great. Shaky other than that. Gains shows promise. That's it.
CB's - Gonna be relying almost entirely on underclassmen. Not good.
Safety - Plenty of experience. Solid but not great here. Both have underperformed.
Special - Looks good.

Quarterback
Wide receiver
Tightened
Linebackers
Corners
Safeties
Special tems

The only questions are Will they finally work Harder in the weight room, practice field and in the classroom

That's the problem with your argument. You just assume that guys who have played very little will turn out great. There's too many unknowns to think the team will be good. Maybe all the new guys pan out, but that's doubtful

QB - Morris has shown some ability, but nothing to make you think we're set there. Other guys have never taken a snap.
WR - If Streeter stays we'll be okay. If not it's Hurns, Dorsett and no one behind them that's done anything.
TE - Looking decent here. Walford looks promising
Oline - Good shape for starting lineup
LB's - Perryman looks great. Shaky other than that. Gains shows promise. That's it.
CB's - Gonna be relying almost entirely on underclassmen. Not good.
Safety - Plenty of experience. Solid but not great here. Both have underperformed.
Special - Looks good.

Quarterback
Wide receiver
Tightened
Linebackers
Corners
Safeties
Special tems

Stop doubting Debbie

I'm trying to figure how people think this team will win 8-9 games with a squad that's less talented then the one that just went 6-6. A team losing four of its best players, gaping holes and zero depth at LB and CB, safeties that don't make plays, dline full of guys that underachieve or can't stay on the field, shaky depth at WR if Street leaves and big question at QB. I'm not seeing 8 wins.

So do we have you down for 5-7 then?

Advertisement
Back