2/16/24 Game 1: NJIT Thread 1-0 W

Who's the bloke wearing catchers gear here?

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAyNC8wMi8zMTNmNTFjOC1ybS01MzgwLmpwZw.jpg
I’ve seen that kid in practice. He was soft tossing to Anderson who was working hard shots to Torres with the fungo bat. No clue what capacity he is with the team or if he has a title.

Advertisement
We are in the “Randy Shannon” stage of baseball.
That remains to be seen. Shannon was a great Cane and DC, but probably the laziest hire ever at Miami and made by the President of the school (and thus doomed to fail). JD was far from my first choice, but at least he's brought in some apparent smart baseball guys as assistants and is bringing us into the 21st century w baseball analytics.

Time will tell, but he appears to be open-minded to listening to others and not letting his ego get the better of him. NJIT or not, the team executed when it had to last night and made up for a horrific start from their ace.

That remains to be seen. Shannon was a great Cane and DC, but probably the laziest hire ever at Miami and made by the President of the school (and thus doomed to fail). JD was far from my first choice, but at least he's brought in some apparent smart baseball guys as assistants and is bringing us into the 21st century w baseball analytics.

Time will tell, but he appears to be open-minded to listening to others and not letting his ego get the better of him. NJIT or not, the team executed when it had to last night and made up for a horrific start from their ace.
It’s one person’s opinion (just me), but I wouldn’t have had JD in my top-20 of candidates. The definition of an easy hire was made.

Then he spoke from the jump about using analytics and playing a modern style of baseball.

In game one, they focused on bunting and small ball. While it worked, that is the exact opposite of what he said he was going to do. It was leaning into the Morris’ model, which is again, not what he said he would do.

The fact he didn’t deepen the team is another move that is older school rather than new school, which would be much more portal-heavy in approach.

Like you, I’m a Canes fan, so I want nothing but success for JD. My eyes are simply evaluating the process at this point, and the process has some holes.

It’s one person’s opinion (just me), but I wouldn’t have had JD in my top-20 of candidates. The definition of an easy hire was made.

Then he spoke from the jump about using analytics and playing a modern style of baseball.

In game one, they focused on bunting and small ball. While it worked, that is the exact opposite of what he said he was going to do. It was leaning into the Morris’ model, which is again, not what he said he would do.

The fact he didn’t deepen the team is another move that is older school rather than new school, which would be much more portal-heavy in approach.

Like you, I’m a Canes fan, so I want nothing but success for JD. My eyes are simply evaluating the process at this point, and the process has some holes.
Fair enough, but I thought a big part of the analytics was the resources they added to do advance scouting and then have time to use that info. We'll see, I guess, how that translates when we get into conference play.

Game tying run. Jacoby Long fan club where you at?
Trying to figure out exactly what Jacoby has to do to get a start. Loyal to the team, looks like he was never even in the portal after last season, I’m sure there were conversations, but stayed loyal . He plays hard and very well and now he is an insert again .
Even last year with Gomez having abysmal numbers early on, did not get starts in CF .

Advertisement
Trying to figure out exactly what Jacoby has to do to get a start. Loyal to the team, looks like he was never even in the portal after last season, I’m sure there were conversations, but stayed loyal . He plays hard and very well and now he is an insert again .
Even last year with Gomez having abysmal numbers early on, did not get starts in CF .
I thought I read he was hurt most of the pre-season. I have to believe he'll be utilized more under this staff. They seem to value speed and athleticism.

Edgardo is on the ropes, he will be the starter by the end of the year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back