2/13/24 What have you done lately

ErickMarreroU

Staff Writer
Premium

This article is something

Shannon Sharpe Wow GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
I have been around many big time college baseball players. One of whom is a great player for the Marlins (Jake Burger) and they all tell me that trying to make evaluations on Fall scrimmages is foolhardy.

Half the time they lifted earlier in the day. Or they rushed from a test in class to the field. Or they’re working on pitches that aren’t their best. Or they’re experimenting with swing changes etc.

I’ve been to every fall World Series game, every scrimmage, every exhibition game for Missouri State for years now. Probably haven’t missed more than five in twenty years.

What they say holds true in my experience. There is just so little correlation to what is happening in the fall and what carries into the regular season games that matter.

I’ve seen guys go 2-35 with half strikeouts in the fall and be Spencer Nivens in the season. I’ve seen pitchers who throw strikes with good feel look like the best pitcher on the team and put up an 8 ERA in-season.

The coaches should be doing exactly what they’re doing here: relying on data and past performance to establish a pecking order. Then adjust from there.

Fall ball/scrimmages are simply to get in-shape and get your timing down.

I appreciate the coverage this guy does, but ****…every article is written from a negative starting point.

I appreciate the coverage this guy does, but ****…every article is written from a negative starting point.
I think it's more him being critical of a decision (or multiple ones) than it is "being negative". Being negative is just getting on here or writing articles on another website saying we're gonna suck and there's no use playing the games, not hoping for success but rooting for failure. Being critical is more akin to what Mike wrote about in his article and how a decent amount of us are on here versus the sunshine pumpers who think we're still the same program we were in the 80s/90s, and that things are just fine in the program as of today.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back