1st Half Game Review *Long*

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
1st and 10- Kaaya stands tall in pocket and hits Waters for a wide open 1st down. We hate our passive defensive scheme but Duke was extremely soft in their zone here and let Waters do whatever he wanted.

1st and 10- Duke showed that he doesn't have the burst of last year. This would be a TD ordinarily, but he is ankle tackled by the MLB instead after a nice 18 yard gain.

1st and 10- Shotgun run and Duke showed his COD to really make a guy miss for a decent run. LG missed his block.

2 & 6- Swing passs to Yearby for a 1st down. Yearby has nice juice and amazing feet. Dorsett had a decent block, but this is a big play if he holds block.

3 & 1- Duke with a nice run off RT. Gadbois got his man and Walter Tucker with second nice block.

1& 10- Shotgun fake and slip Tucker out into flat. He's playing well.

2 & 2- For some reason we go shotgun and then throw bubble screen to their one defensive playmakers side. Coley's eaten up and D'Mauri Jones completely missed block. This play simply won't work unless Jones makes an amazing block and Coley makes a guy miss. Big problem with this call here. Keep feeding Duke and Yearby and we push the ball into the end zone without a doubt.

3 & 2- Shotgun again and throw the ball. All out blitz. Man was open, Duke doesn't block anyone and Kaaya has to rush the throw. I hate the playcall, but if Duke actually blocks who he's supposed to it's an easy 1st down to Dorsett. Duke thought the call was a run play against a soft box, it wouldn't have worked so I believe Kaaya had the right read. Drive ends in FG, 3-0 Miami.

*Defense*

1 & 10- 3 man front, Armbrister over the slot WR. Toss left and Armbrister forces it back inside to pursuit and Perryman cleans up. Not a fan of how soft that edge was, but a really nice play by Armbrister and I wouldn't be thrilled asking the slot to block him on that play.

2 & 7- 3 man front, Kirby on boundary and makes a great play on the bubble screen against bunch formation to right. Burns played tough, Bush assisted and McCord scraped to clean up. The boys executed perfectly here. If you remember Wake Forest, you know this play killed us last year.

3 & 7- 3 man front, against four man wide we play press across the board and have single high safety. We send Grace and Kirby on overload to left side, Tracy Howard plays his man well. Some would say bad pass, but if it's a good pass it's picked off. Grace applied pressure and really impacted play. Gunter played S on this play and bails a little early to give away who was single high, but I like this design. Faked Armbrister to A gap blitz and backed him out to spy the QB. Punt.

*Offense*

1 & 10- Shotgun Trips left, Tucker is split to that side and moves to chip RT. Line holds, play action and Kaaya throws a dime to Coley who had a TD, but drops it. Ooof, Coley hits bench.

2 & 10- Shotgun, 11 personnel, Walford spit wide and catches slant off play action against 6 in box with single high. Nice throw, better catch. Play calling has had only one play I disagreed with thus far.

1 & 10- Shotgun, four wide, soft box. Duke gets a delay and bounces it off LT. Special COD and then Malcolm Lewis gives him the edge. Good run, but another shoe string tackle. Isidora absolutely destroyed his man on this play and really made the play possible because if he gives penetration it's a zero yard run. He moved his out and Duke cut it back.

1 & 10- Shotgun, four wide, stacks on both sides. Waters gets the bubble screen. Three defenders for two receivers, Berrios whiffs his blocks, Duke defender right there to make play and Waters makes him miss. Feliciano whiffs on his block or this is a huge play. Waters was solely responsible for this play as the scheme is not set for success, blocks were not set for success, but Waters just made a play.

1 & 10- Play was very slow to come in. Shotgun, play action short boot action to reverse side. Lewis runs a comeback against soft zone. Had Walford on an arrow route as well. This was a nice design and it worked perfectly. McDermott initially was going to pull and downblock the DE who Walford let go to run his route, but his quickness was past him so he spun like a top and found him to push him wide at last second. Nice awareness from McDermott there. Example of a guy saving a play on what could've blown up.

1 & 10- Shotgun, four wide, Flowers cuts his man and it's a swing to Duke who recognized Duke didn't have anyone to cover flat. Walford waited to block perfectly and Duke takes it for an easy 6. Nice play by Duke defender or this could been a TD down sideline. Their S stuck his foot in the ground and fired in. No hesitation, nice S play.

2 & 4- Shotgun, five wide empty set, line holds and they run a post to Walford who catches a perfect throw from Kaaya inside the 10. Duke is having trouble with Clive and their S's are way back at the snap on most plays. Berrios was open on a quick out if they wanted that as well.

1 & 10- Toss to Duke out of 11 personnel with Walford leading the play. Walford actually had the best block on the play as Isidora and McDermott just kind of pushed their guy. Duke cuts back with excellent vision and gets in. TD Miami, 9-0. Extra point was way too low. Long snapper got owned, Feliciano was terrible, but still should've been easy.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Three man front, Trent Harris and Kirby come, both get picked up, deep shot out of press. Crawford doesn't even lay a hand on him and Crowder roasts him for an open TD. Dallas Crawford was late getting over there because Perryman had the TE in the seam and he had to help there first. TE was open in seam as well. Defense was defeated on this play, even though it was incomplete. Bad Crawford, bad.

2 & 10- Three man front with Harris setting edge, run speed option left and Harris turns it back inside. Pierre is decent but pushed back, Jenkins pursues down the line and Owens crashes in to finish play. Gap integrity was there, Harris did his job, Pierre was meh and Jenkins was ok after initially getting popped back.

3 & 5- Three man front, press on boundary, off coverage to near side. Armbrister coming and Grace and Perryman manning middle of field. D-line gets no pressure but Burns pressed well and Bush shadowed his guy. Gunter once again played single-high S. Throw wasn't there. Punt.

*Offense*

1 & 10- Three wide shotgun, Waters runs the hitch and then makes a guy miss for the 1st down. Waters has played the best game of anyone on our team thus far.

1 & 10- I formation for first time. Huge hole off LT. Duke is ankle tackled again. Tucker gets on the MLB and it could've been a TD. Walford called for a hold, which he probably did, but didn't need to. Duke was through the hole.

1 & 14- Three wide with Walford split out. This play won't work because they have no one on MLB. I'm guessing they expect Duke to make him miss on the swing pass, but Flowers also missed his block and it had no chance. Duke drops the ball, but would've been minus yards anyway. Not a fan of this design or call.

2 & 14- Delay draw and Duke makes a world class 5-yard run. Tweaks his ankle on the end of the run. Not a fan of this play call which relied on Duke being world class to get 5.

3 & 9- They run a swing pass to Duke who just tweaked his ankle and asked him to make a play. Not a fan here. Incidentally, #47 is limited athletically, but has great awareness and is a sure tackler. He's a solid player. Punt.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Three man front (haven't seen a four man front yet). Grace sets the edge beautifully and delivers a blow on the inside give. This kid has played well thus far. Refs again show no ability to call a game and call unsportsmanlike for Carter yelling and whoofing. Horrid, Carter merely talked and not even in anyone's face.

1 &10- Duke goes quick and Grace beats a block and makes a play. This was going for a 1st down if he doesn't make the play. I like this kid...a lot.

2 & 12- Three man front, McCord responsible for setting edge to his near side and covering TE. Chips TE and re-routes him, run inside as Carter fills downhill from S spot with Crawford rotating to cover deep as Artie Burns would release to cover seam if TE goes down the seam. If not, Burns runs with WR and Crawford is deep. No problem with this design. Five yard run and Grace really filled the hole. Coaches will singing his praises in the film room to this point.

3 & 6- Three man front, but they're aligned in wide 9 with Kamalu standing up and filling B gap. This is a three man down, but is really a four man line with Grace coming off LT. Grace gets blocked by the RB, but the QB feels the pressure and bails to boundary. Gunter has TE on the cross handled and Boone throws it away. Good defense here. Punt.

*Offense*

1 & 10- Weird setup where they faked to both RB's out of shotgun and neither really carried it out. Flowers completely missed his blitzer and blocked no one. Kaaya stepped up like a champ and threw a duck into the turf as he was hit. This play had no chance.

2 & 10- Shotgun run right. McDermott missed his block or this was a bigger run. Duke cuts it back for 7 and McDermott's man tackles him. Duke is struggling with the ankle in his burst. You can see it.

3 & 3- Shotgun and they run the out to Walford right into the S. This play had no chance and it was a bad read and throw by Kaaya who had no pressure. Bad play by the QB and probably not a great play design to be running outs to your TE against bracket coverage. Punt.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Familiar three man line with McCord setting the edge and covering TE. Elder to top of screen on an island in press. Great job jamming the slant and completely disrupts it. This play was all Elder beating his man. Great play.

2 & 10- Three man line with Owens setting edge and covering flat against RB. Kamalu held the edge up top and filled the hole. Grace came downhill and popped the RB. Moten got destroyed on this play, straight roller skates. Luckily the play was to other side, though if they had run it here Owens was pursuing down the line. A read option play to Owens side would've worked with Moten getting destroyed off the ball.

3 & 7- False start. Blitzed Grace and he had his man beat.

3 & 12- Three man front. Bad snap. Kamalu and McCord both had pressure. Ball rolls outside RT and Chickillo- who was being blocked- hops on for the sack. Punt.

*Offense*

1 & 10- Run off tackle and Isidora runs power and gets a great block. He's on the ground more than I'd like though. He would be a much better finisher if he stayed upright. Yearby has some juice.

2 & 3- Shotgun, run an out route with Lewis. Yearby gets a cut block and Kaaya has a pocket. He fades and gets happy feet and throws a bad ball. I'd like to run the ball here, but the route was open, protection was there, just a bad ball.

3 & 3- Interesting setup here with a veer like look. We also asked Dorsett to block a S who was close to the line of scrimmage and he had no chance to get that block before he shot the gap and made the tackle. Nice defense by Duke, not sure about the play design asking Dorsett to block this much. Gus Edwards had no chance to that side, but we had a man advantage to the top of formation with Walford blocking down. Asking Gus Edwards to run E/W at LOS. Take this play out of the playbook. Punt.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Three man front, read option with Chickillo unblocked. He misses tackle and it goes for 1st down. Chick has to make a better play here.

1 & 10- Three man, Armbrister pressures off edge, Crawford on island to boundary and does a nice job forcing WR towards sideline. Deep shot was to opposite shoulder and receiver couldn't get it. Decent coverage, but it was kind of soft once the ball was in the air. Make a play on the ball son. He started hand fighting instead of locating and going up for it.

2 & 10- Three man front, Owens responsible for edge with Kirby filling his gap. Harris gets washed inside easily and Kirby was slow to hole. Crawford whiffed on tackle and S's had to clean up. Awful defense here. It wasn't scheme either, it was Harris with an awful job of setting edge, Kirby was slow and Crawford whiffed.

1 & 10- Three man, 10 defenders within five yards of LOS. Dared them to throw deep and they did. Crawford on island with single high S Dallas back behind. Chick actually gets some pressure by pushing LT back, rest is a nice pocket. Perryman blitzes and is absolutely stoned by the RB. I hate to see that, I'd think he could run the kid over or get by him, but he did not. Crawford tried to press and nearly fell down whiffing on the play. Then he was tugging and grabbing on the route again. This was the replay catch. Antonio Crawford played this as poorly as you can honestly, his athleticism allowed him to recover and be near him, but that's it.

1 & 10- Three man, 7 man box in red zone, single high, Fentress blitzes and is right in the gap. Hert is blown out of the hole and the run goes for 9. If Fentress makes an easy tackle in the hole it goes for no gain. Bad play. Pierre set the edge and McCord took the QB on the read option and actually recovered to make the tackle at the end of play. Fentress just needs to make the play. Not scheme, bad execution here.

2 & 1- Hert is destroyed by a double team. Kirby ducks his head to take on a blocker and doesn't even try to locate football as it goes right by him for a walk-in TD. DL let us down on last two plays in addition to missed tackles. TD Duke. 9-7.

*Offense*

1 & 10- Kaaya drifts out of shotgun, Dorsett runs an out and is open, clean pocket, poor footwork and pass sails. Quarters coverage dictates an easy throw for a 1st down here.

2 & 10- Inside give to Duke. Isidora gives a little too much ground but hole is there. McDermott gets to second level, but misses block. Duke runs him over for a few more. Play goes for five more if McDermott makes block.

3 & 5- Two by two four wide. Clean pocket, Waters open, pass is a bit long but should've been caught. Ball floated too much. Kaaya not playing great and passes are there. This soft quarters defense they keep running is worse than anything we've been running in passing game. We just aren't hitting the throws. Punt.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Blitz off edge, Bush is left to cover slot, QB throws hot, receiver runs normal route. Luckily they were not on same page because it was an easy completion.

2 & 10- Owens and Harris protecting edge in three man front. Much more aggressive alignments tonight. Owens beats the edge, Kirby beats his block and they stone the runner. Everyone did job, nice work. Kamalu is playing well incidentally.

3 & 10- They outschemed us here. We blitzed Elder off the edge and they made us pay for it. They had two shallow crossers which occupied McCord and Perryman and the back slipped right off Elder and a nice throw over the leaping Elder to the back in the spot vacated by Elder. Perryman has no chance to get there because the crossers occupied him and it's an easy 1st down. Cutcliffe got us. Block in the back makes it 3rd and 1.

3 & 1- Three man front, slanted Chick down inside, Owens sets the edge and takes the option wide. Kirby is right there in the hole but he stops his feet instead of driving to make the play. He couldn't find the ball is what happened. The action to the RB got his attention, but that isn't his key, it's Owens. The QB cuts right around him for the first down. This play should've been stopped.

1 & 10- Three man front, Jenkins is our best NT and it's not close thus far. He drives his guy back and Duke throws deep to Crowder. Burns was deep, but has speed to recover. Incomplete. I like how much more aggressive we are aligning and filling holes.

2 & 10- After I praise him, he loses his footing and gets pushed out on a run up the gut for 6.

3 & 4- Three man and we actually press the slot to stop that little cross or slant off the three step drop. They were running a clear out anyway to get Crowder the crosser underneath against Burns, but Elder played his man well anyway. They run a rub route with Crowder against Grace to get the RB free, but Grace plays it perfectly. Burns trails the play the entire time and knocks the pass away against one of conferences best. They spied the QB with a LB and they dump off to shallow cross and Burns knocks it away. Other than getting some pressure with the three down linemen, you can't play this play better. I am proud of the defense here. Punt.

*Offense*

1 & 10- I-formation, run to Duke. We get movement with a combo block from Walford and Flowers, but McDermott can't hold the nose and he scrapes to make a tackle after 4.

2 & 6- Duke is good and stuff. I-formation run a counter right, Tucker stones his guy and turns his shoulders, Cash misses the tackle on a beautiful COD run, Doorsett misses his block, but Duke stiff arms him down, Waters misses his block and they tackle him after about 16. NFL run from Duke, all-world.

1 & 10- 12 personnel with Yearby, Lewis gets his man, Walford seals edge and Yearby makes Cash miss him without laying a hand on him. All-world run and a 1st down. This kid is good too.

1 & 10- OL is picking up steam now and just road grading. We pull Feliciano and he doesn't even have anyone to block. Yearby rips off 16 and Lewis again blocks his man.

1 & 10- Single back to Yearby, Isidora misses his block and they take him down. If Isidora holds this block he has a cut outside for a big gain. Feliciano owned his man.

2 & 8- Illegal substitution penalty. Standish Dobard. Ugh.

2 & 13- Screen to Coley was setup, but Dorsett misses his block and it nets only 8. A few more blocks and better execution and this is a blow out.

3 & 6- Soft box here, but we have one-on-one to outside and take a shot to Dorsett. It looked to me like it was close, but they ruled incomplete. Could've/should've been TD.

4 & 6- Missed 52 yard FG.Bad decision to try and kick it. Kc McDermott hurt. Ugh. Duke defender dives right into the side of his knee.

*Defense*

1 & 10- Three man, Armbrister covering TE, sheds block as they go screen to Crowder. Armbrister has played well.

2 & 5- Bad snap. Huge play.

3 & 16- McCord gets pressure and Artie Burns comes up and makes tackle. Punt. No timeout called by Canes.

Conclusions:

Defense tried to be a lot more aggressive alignment wise, offense controlled the ball and was clearly the better team. I'd like to have seen us just run the ball out of I-formation more and do away with the long throws to the sideline, but the routes were open. Kaaya simply missed a bunch of throws and the ref not giving us the TD to Dorsett was pretty bad. McDermott played poorly on the line, but everyone else was solid. I'd like to ask Dorsett to block less than he is. Duke and Yearby are both really good. Drop by Coley on a TD bomb, Dorsett call made this closer than it was. Boone missed an easy TD early as well. Grace played really well. Perryman was solid. Jenkins played well. McCord was solid. Elder played well. Antonio Crawford wasn't good.

Miami dominated, the scheme was fine for most plays and we tackled much better.

Advertisement
Gonna have to rewatch myself, but I think you are mistaken about a lot of the three man fronts. I recall seeing significantly more 4 man fronts than 3.

Gonna have to rewatch myself, but I think you are mistaken about a lot of the three man fronts. I recall seeing significantly more 4 man fronts than 3.

There's always a chance I'm wrong, but we didn't have a fourth man put his hand down in any of the plays I charted. We put four and five on the line with stand up rushers many times, but never used a four man front that I identified.

Much more aggressive, lined up closer, single high multiple times, but not four man fronts with a hand down.

I am pretty surprised, I expected this would be information that would spur more discussion than it has.

Advertisement
I am pretty surprised, I expected this would be information that would spur more discussion than it has.

Props on the effort/work, man. It's interesting to glance over the play by play breakdowns, but this one was pretty cut and dry. Miami's ownage of the first qtr was quite evident, yet yielded very little point production. The last time we saw first qtr ownage like this was NCSU, but in that game it produced points.

Similarly, play calling blunders and an overall offensive coma ensued, leaving little margin for error. You simply can't dominate a sub-opponent like that and be one play away from trailing on the scoreboard, deep in the fourth qtr.

The defensive change-up with fronts, blitz's, safety depth, man to man on shallow crosses and alignments were glaringly different than the previous dozen games or so, peeps are still suspicious if it'll continue. Fingers are crossed.

One thing is for sure, each unit needs to reward the other with solid play. Starting with the offense, which hasn't been kind to their defensive brethren...too often..Chick, DP and crew have just taken off their hats and sat down, only to be called right back to the field. Oh, theirs also some paranoia on punt returns that keeps the base defense on the field, Golden needs to shore up that unit and rotate some fresh legs/lungs out for that duty.

ST's...Minus the punting unit is a massive liability, seemingly incapable of improving field position. One thing the offense can't do, is sustain drives. There's been like twelve 10+ play drives in since 2012.

In either case, props again brutha...thnx for the board content, good stuffs.

There's always a chance I'm wrong, but we didn't have a fourth man put his hand down in any of the plays I charted. We put four and five on the line with stand up rushers many times, but never used a four man front that I identified.

Much more aggressive, lined up closer, single high multiple times, but not four man fronts with a hand down.

They're too busy arguing over who is a slurper and who is a mope and dredging up 3 year old threads to call each other out. Don't take it personally. Legit content is rarely noticed around here. Some of us appreciate the work and info.

I remember mostly 3 man fronts. It's just that we had more guys closer to the line, so it was congested and looked like we sometimes had an extra guy with his hands to the ground.

Advertisement
"2 & 10- Three man front, Owens responsible for edge with Kirby filling his gap. Harris gets washed inside easily and Kirby was slow to hole. Crawford whiffed on tackle and S's had to clean up. Awful defense here. It wasn't scheme either, it was Harris with an awful job of setting edge, Kirby was slow and Crawford whiffed. "

To me, this was our worst play defensively. At best, Harris was lined up head on with the T and was easily taken out of the play. The block was set up for the RB as soon as the ball was snapped which is why Kirby was late getting over.

I know harris is a true frosh but this is still coaching to me either way you look at it. Either he was told to line up that way or he made a really bad decision with his alignment which is something we have had issues with for 4 years.

Other than that, I'm happy with the defensive performance as a whole including press coverage but we will need more pressure from the DL if we continue to use it, especially against Cincinnati and FSU.

Advertisement
Back