11 BEST Things to Do in Miami for this Week

Cane2

Band
Banned
N-U.jpg UvN.jpg

The U versus the Cornhuskers? Oh, boy, this is a rivalry that began way back at the 50th Orange Bowl in 1984, when Coach Howard Schnellenberger made good on his promise to deliver a championship to UM. College football mathematicians look at the outcome of that matchup as one of numerous improbabilities resulting in the first of five championships the program earned. Now chiseled into the lore of '80s and '90s hip-hop, the University of Miami Hurricanes went into that January 2, 1984 game as underdogs led by Bernie Kosar, and thanks in part to upsets at the Cotton, Rose, and Sugar bowls, the Canes were able to emerge number one in the polls.
The 11 Best Things to Do in Miami This Week | Miami New Times
Much has changed since the Schnellenberger era, but the rivalry between the orange-and-green with the scarlet-and-cream remains, with this Saturday's game being their 12th meeting (a series led by the Nebraska Cornhuskers 6-5). Now helmed by Al Golden and sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya (son of Friday actress Angela Means Kaaya, of "bye, Felicia" fame), the Canes look to even out the rivalry numbers at 3:30 p.m. at the revamped Sun Life Stadium (347 Don Shula Dr., Miami Gardens). Tickets cost $80 to $475. Call 305-943-8000 or visit sunlifestadium.com.

Nebraska vs. Miami Head-To-Head Football History
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF5svoZ8wFc
Interesting Rivalry Facts -- Four meetings - 1984, 1992, 1995 and -- 2002 – have decided the national champion. Three of those four games were in the Orange Bowl while the two met in 2002 in the Rose Bowl.
Six out of the 11 meetings have been played in bowl games, with four being at the Orange Bowl and one each at the Gotham Bowl and Rose Bowl.
The 2015 meeting in Miami is the first time neither team has been ranked entering the matchup since the 1964 Gotham Bowl.
From 1975 to 2002 – a total of seven games – the winner was ranked in the AP top five entering the matchup.

Three Memorable Games

1. Osborne Goes For Two – January 1, 1984 – Miami Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) – With the national title on the line, No. 1 Nebraska scored a touchdown in the last minute to cut the lead to 31-30. Instead of going for the tie, Huskers coach Tom Osborne decided to go for two. The two-point conversion was no good, catapulting Miami to No. 1 in the final poll and securing the Canes' first national championship.

2. Osborne Gets Revenge – January 1, 1995 – Miami Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) – Nine years later, Osborne would get his rematch with the Hurricanes with another national title at stake. The No. 1 Cornhuskers, led by quarterback Tommie Frazier, came back from a 17-7 third quarter deficit to defeat the No. 3 Hurricanes, 24-17, and complete their season with a perfect 13-0 record and national championship.

3. The U Makes A Statement – January 1, 1992 – Miami Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) – Under coach Dennis Erickson, the Hurricanes came into the 1992 Orange Bowl matchup against Nebraska with an undefeated record and No. 1 ranking. The Canes dominated, shutting out the Cornhuskers 22-0 to finish the season perfect and finish No. 1 in the AP Poll.

Program Comparisons -- National Championships

Both Nebraska and Miami have won five national championships. The Hurricanes were dominant in the 80s, winning three of them in that decade alone with the other two coming in 1991 and 2001. The Cornhuskers won back-to-back titles in 1970-1971 and 1994-95 and brought home their fifth championship in 1997.

Total: Nebraska 5, Miami 5

Conference Titles

The Cornhuskers have a staggering 46 total conference titles, while Miami won nine Big East titles, before moving to the ACC where UM has 0.

Total: Nebraska 46, Miami 9

Heisman Winners

Johnny Rodgers (1972), Mike Rozier (1983) and Eric Crouch (2001) have all brought the Heisman Trophy back to Lincoln. Vinny Testaverde (1986) and Gino Torretta (1992) have won the award as a Hurricane.

Total Winners : Nebraska 3, Miami 2 [Brad Kaaya is next]

Advertisement
After getting his first win at Nebraska, head coach Mike Riley will take his bunch to Miami on Saturday for a 2:30 CT contest with the Hurricanes.
“I understand the great history of this (Miami) game and some of the historical ramifications of the game against Miami being played for national championships,” said Riley. "That’s pretty good stuff, and it’s led to a nice, current day rivalry.

“I did not realize how they felt except through time, hearing them talk. I think… unfortunately it won’t happen, but I think the first thing De’Mornay (Pierson-El) said to me when he got hurt is, 'I really want to play in that Miami game.' So I’ve been getting a feel for what this means to this team and program.”
Nebraska is coming off a 48-9 victory over South Alabama, where the Huskers had an easy time running the football after struggling to establish a rushing attack against BYU in week one.

“It will tell the tale, right? There’s no doubt about it. You know, BYU is a very strong, physical, very good run defense and we were, I would say, average. So I understand that. We’re not naïve to that. It’s still good to run the ball, right? And we still saw some stuff that was better,” said Riley when asked if Nebraska made improvements or it was just a lesser opponent. “Our assignments were better, technically we were good. We were not playing the same level of opponent as we did or as we will, but at least we did it and that’s good. Now can we step it up and do that against better teams? That’s it. I certainly understand that and agree with that totally."

Miami comes into the contest 2-0, after beating Florida Atlantic last week, 44-20. The Hurricanes were only up three at halftime. Sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya, who threw for over 300 yards in Lincoln last season, leads the Miami offense. The trip to South Florida will be the Huskers’ first road game in the Mike Riley era.

“Everybody that plays college football, plays football at all, understands you have away games. I think that if you want to be a great team you have to win on the road,” said Riley. There’s going to be a field and lines on the field and goal posts, so there’s going to be a football game breakout, but it is different. You have to handle the travel, you’ve got to do all that stuff, and then you’ve got to play in a game. I think it’s really good for us right now and I think that, again, how you do on the road is a big part of what your season is going to be about.”

The series: While the two sides have only met 11 total times (Nebraska leads series 6-5), three times it was with a national championship on the line. The two schools have combined for 1,478 wins and 10 national championships – pumping out 170 All-Americans in the process. Last season the rivalry was renewed, when Miami came to Nebraska and lost in a primetime affair, 41-31.

What a win means for Nebraska: If Nebraska fans are honest with themselves, the same questions surrounding the Huskers after the BYU game are still there – South Alabama didn’t provide many answers. While 1-2 doesn’t change Nebraska’s goal of winning the Big Ten West, the atmosphere around Lincoln won’t be enjoyable until Riley gets his first decent win.

What a win means for Miami: A win wouldn’t save Al Golden’s job, but would relieve some of the pressure the head coach has to be feeling. [Nope, no relief] An unblemished record heading into a bye week before the start of conference play would have the Hurricanes feeling pretty confident.

Who to watch on offense and defense:

CB.) Daniel Davie, Sr. – The corner has struggled in the first two weeks, but has been very close to making a play. Multiple times Davie has run stride-for-stride with receivers and just not finished at the end, allowing the catch. He’s going to have to be better against a wide receiver crew that will likely be one of the best Nebraska faces this season.

QB.) Tommy Armstrong, Jr. – Picking a quarterback each week seems like a no brainer, which is why we stayed away from it in week one and two. But, with a game against Miami, Armstrong has to be highlighted. This has the potential to be a national breakout game for the junior quarterback. While Armstrong found success on the ground against Miami last year, he struggled to throw the football. So far this season Armstrong has been hitting on over 60 percent of his throws. He will need a similar like effort on the road to probably win.

Reason to be concerned? Much has been made about the Nebraska secondary this last week, but what about the defensive line? A line that came into the season with lots of hype, but has yet to establish a consistent pass rush. Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya can not be allowed to sit in the pocket and eat a sandwich – if he has enough time, Kaaya's good enough to pick the Nebraska secondary apart.

Did you know? Nebraska starting running back Terrell Newby and Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya were former high school teammates. “We’ve been real close since [we were] six-years-old,” said Newby. “We played with each other. He’s a little younger than me, but I’ve known him since then, so I’ve definitely been shooting him some texts this week.”
Quote to note: “They are quick and good up front. They return a lot on their defense, and then they have some big guys. They will be tough to just move out of the way, and they have some back end speed especially at linebacker.” – Nebraska offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf

Josh Harvey’s prediction: I would love to pick Nebraska in this one, but I just don’t have enough confidence in the secondary at this point. I think it will be a close game going into the fourth quarter. I think it will be a little chippy on both sides. Ultimately Kaaya outplays Armstrong in the second half.
Miami: 38 Nebraska: 34

Other predictions:
Beth Long, Scout.com: Nebraska 31 Miami 28
Joe Quinn, AM 590: Miami 45 Nebraska 38
Brett Edwards, KLKN-TV: Nebraska 34 Miami 27
Peter Terpstra, KLKN-TV: Nebraska 27 Miami 24
Andrew Ward, KLKN-TV: Miami 28 Nebraska 24

Official hype video of canes insight:

[video=youtube;qoeK2WqoExE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoeK2WqoExE[/video]

This has actually been most important match up for Canes. 3 of our NCs came beating NE. Sure all those wide right, left and various way the chokers lost to us are great memories but it is the trampled corn husks under our feet that held up those trophies -- except the one from Bama. The 82 OB was maybe the greatest college game ever. I know it seemed like we beat the crap out of them but they kept coming back and in the end, a fingertip separated us(although I think Bernie was right and would have march us down for last score anyway - still great ending). Sad for these teams to have come to this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back