“Brad Kaaya to develop from a phenom into a superstar’’

Cane2

Band
Banned
CMDR-BK.jpg
In an era of quarterbacks getting a shot as freshmen, it's still rare to see a true freshman get a chance to take the reins at a high-major program with the type of prestige Miami has. Second-year signal caller Brad Kaaya turned heads during his rookie campaign and Miami will go as far as he takes him. This is what made Kaaya's freshman season in Coral Gables so special. 3,198 yards through the air and a 26-to-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio would be pretty strong for anyone. For a true freshman it's enough to get hype going about the potential of being a future No. 1 overall pick.

And the potential is certainly there for Kaaya to develop from a phenom into a superstar. He was a four-star prospect, according to 247sports' composite rankings, and a top-10 quarterback in the Class of 2014 out of Chaminade College Preparatory School in Los Angeles. The Hurricanes are never short on talent either, so the sophomore should have the weapons to make this offense hum.

He has a stable of running backs that can all catch the ball out of the backfield. This stable, headlined by Gus Edwards, gus.jpg can provide the outlets for providing Kaaya with excellent check downs when his receivers are tightly covered down field, or that great dump off in the event his offensive linemen aren't holding off all the defenders. In Miami’s first scrimmage, all four of the Hurricanes running backs – Edwards, Walton, Joe Yearby and Trayone Gray – got time with the first team. All four got time with the ones again Saturday and RB Coach Tim (Ice) Harris said the competition remains fierce at that spot. “I just think they’re really complementing each other. We have two big ones and Mark’s kind of a combo,” Harris said. “Joe is a slasher, but our big guys are big. Gus is 241. Gray is 220. They all complement each other and we’re not afraid to roll them in there. I’m very pleased with that group right now. A lot of competition coming up before that’s settled, for sure. Everyone has been rotating.’’ with the first and second teams.

“Even with everything going the way it has, Harris said, referring to Gus Edwards’ bruised foot, “we’re in a great place in the running back room. The competition is really bringing out the best in all of them.’’ Harris said the 6-2, 240-pound Edwards, often used in short-yardage situations, is now looked at as “an every-down back.’’

The coach said true freshman Walton, who ran for 1,472 yards and 22 touchdowns last season at Miami Booker T. Washington High, has been “stepping in and showing the older guys he’s come here to make a difference. “He really has embraced learning from the older guys. …The way he competes is uplifting.’’

The Coastal division is pretty wide open--as usual--and if Kaaya turns into a star then the Canes have as good a chance as anyone to usurp Georgia Tech and reach the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship.

“We’re all getting better as a unit and working toward winning the Coastal,” Rush end Al-Quadin Muhammad repeatedly said that they want to win the 2015 Coastal Division title of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
“We’re all getting better as a unit and working toward winning the Coastal,” scout team QB Al-Quadin Muhammad repeatedly said that they want to win the 2015 Coastal Division title of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

FIFY

I fear Kaaya is going to be so good that he gets this team to 8 wins, the admin thinks that is enough and Golden keeps his job.

Advertisement
Al Golden added

"Well he's definitely developing and he's getting better every day. He is now 211 lbs and yesterday he was 210 so he still has a long way to go. But he's definitely bought into what we are doing. I may try some new marketing things with him because of our training table. #KayaaPapaya is something we are talking about. Because you know they are orange and green and it's tropical. Like Miami itself. We might have Adidas make custom shoulder pads out of papaya for him. It definitely will help with recruiting because at Miami we've always struggled to get good players, but now that everyone has bought into the locker room like Brad we have a real opportunity to build something special.

I hope he is still starting by the end of the year - not bc of talent but bc of health - kid is going to be running for his life
- WR's is a collection of JAG's - very little deep threat
- O-Line has two problems - Art K and Experience

Teams are going to bliz Miami to death this year

Next year is the year..... more experience and new HC

I fear Kaaya is going to be so good that he gets this team to 8 wins, the admin thinks that is enough and Golden keeps his job.

I'm still trying to be the optimist hoping that we win 10 games and Golden rides the successful season into a new job.

Advertisement

Who recruited him again?

O right that same staff your bashing.

GO kick rocks.

I held on for three years. Last year "flipped" me. (recruiting talk)...... You must be new? I hated losing Howard, JJ, Butch, Dennis not so much (set up for success, and capitalized unlike Coker) Never liked him, just me. I swear I want 15 wins this year, but if that happened, and Al bolted to NFL, PSU, China, anywhere..... It would be a dream season!

He showed a quality not seen from most superstar QBs. The ability to NOT make a play of any kind in the second half of 7 out of 13 games. Most of which ONE ******* QB play would have been the difference.

I saw a QB who had the best Canes OL since like 2001, with NFL recievers, TE and RB, get walloped by lesser talented teams all year.

Looking scared and panicky is not neccesarly the sign of a future great.

Advertisement
He showed a quality not seen from most superstar QBs. The ability to NOT make a play of any kind in the second half of 7 out of 13 games. Most of which ONE ****ing QB play would have been the difference.

I saw a QB who had the best Canes OL since like 2001, with NFL recievers, TE and RB, get walloped by lesser talented teams all year.

Looking scared and panicky is not neccesarly the sign of a future great.

Smokey, aren't you being hard on a QB that wasn't allowed audibility?

I don't care what anyone says, I'm drinking the Koolaid on this kid. I'm hopeful we will take a step in the right direction as a program after this year. That can mean a million different things from canning AG mid season and moving on, to Kaaya leading us to a great season. Even you more negative people know how excited you are for this ****. We all are. You're full of **** if you say you're not. You wouldn't be here if otherwise.

Advertisement
Kaaya a'ight. Hope this **** staff doesn't ruin the kid. Be nice if he had a defense that could stop teams and special teams that could shorten the field for him and the O.

Do our RBs know how to hold the rock. I've seen so many pics & videos where their fingers aren't wrapped around the tip of the ball. I knew this in pop warner.

Advertisement
Back