DB Edwards has great visit, commitment "soon"

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
It's no secret that South Florida is a breeding ground for talented defensive backs and 2017 is no different.

With Miami targeting the likes of Latavious Brini, Trajan Bandy, Shawn Davis, Daniel Wright, CJ Henderson, Amari Carter, and others, one name that has flown a bit under the radar is Miramar's Brian Edwards (6-3, 175).

Miramar did not participate in the 7-on-7 camp today, but their head coach Pierre Senatus brought Edwards down to Coral Gables for a valuable visit.

"Today was an amazing experience just to be able to chill with the coaching staff and sit down with Coach Mark and finally get to talk to be with Coach Banda 1-on-1 and be on campus and see the facilities," said Edwards.

Much like Coach Banda's meeting with Latavious Brini last Friday, the local DB Edwards was impressed by his chance to come to Miami and play early on.

"He was talking about the opportunity that I have to come in and make an impact. They really need me to come in and affect that DB core next year," he said. "I'll be able to play the safety spot, come down to the nickel to play one-on-one, and then also play cornerback."

The lanky defensive back said he got a good vibe from Miami coach Mark Richt.

"He cares about his kids a lot and I know he's a great guy. He really wants to see his players succeed and he puts a lot of time into UM and his kids there," Edwards said.

One thing the Canes have going for them in this recruitment is the fact that Edwards' mother favors the Hurricanes.

"My mom wants me to stay home and she would love to see me come to UM. Miami is just an amazing place and for my family to be able to come see me play every week and even come to visit me would be great."

Other than Miami, Edwards mentioned LSU, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Syracuse, Michigan State as the main schools that he is considering. Those programs might not have to wait long for a possible pledge from him.

"Being an early enrollee, that commitment could be coming early. Just be on the lookout for that commitment soon," said Edwards. "I'll be seeing a few more schools (this summer) before I narrow it down and then I'll make my decision."

Overall, Edward's trip to Miami today seemed to help their chances in a big way.

"Today showed me how real they are about me. It made me realize that it's a real offer because some of these schools offer you, but for them to show me they really wanted me and showed me a lot of love meant a lot to me."

Advertisement
image.jpg

Advertisement
Coaching staff drilling these kids on some of their offers not really been committable.They must be talking about schools like Clemson and LSU who seem to be on most of these DBs we're after.

Advertisement
We are not goin to hit on all these DBs, but our secondary outlook is looking good... my guess is still

CJ Henderson
Trajan Bandy
Latavious Brini
Billy Gibson
Amari Carter
Brian Edwards
Marco Wilson

We are not goin to hit on all these DBs, but our secondary outlook is looking good... my guess is still

CJ Henderson
Trajan Bandy
Latavious Brini
Billy Gibson
Amari Carter
Brian Edwards
Marco Wilson

Miami is actually sitting very good with majority of their db targets for the first time in forever.... Only one Miami isn't leading for is Shawn Davis. ***an and wright are long shots so I didn't include them in that.

But it's very possible bandy, Henderson, brini, Wilson, Gibson, Edwards, Carter all end up in the class

Advertisement
I think billy gets dropped

No he's in I forgot what moderator was asked that question but he said Miami wants him that they may be taking less players at other positions to rebuild this Secondary, they know that Golden and Paul Williams messed up the Secondary.

Coach Banda has been quite the surprise on the recruiting trail. Every prospect that has interacted with him has had nothing but positive things to say about him. Not saying he is T-Rob or Corey Raymond status yet bc they seem to have a real knack for getting top secondary talent but he is definitely a HUGE step up from our former Paul Williams. Time will tell if Banda can close and most importantly develop talent but we will find out soon enough and I for one am optimistic. This coaching staff has been such a breath of fresh air compared to the previous staff. I am so excited about the future of this program. GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
No doubt our secondary will include many 4*+ DB's the next couple years and beyond. What the combination will be, I don't know, but what I do know is it will be as good as any haul in the nation

I think billy gets dropped

EVERYONE has reported that Diaz see's Billy as the ideal safety for his defense and wants him in this class. No clue where you get the idea that he may be dropped...cept you are looking at star ratings maybe

Never been a stars guy don't care much for it. His film just isn't as impressive as other targets and I seen him play has impressed

Advertisement
Back