Z’s prospect Watch: DE Adam Kissayi

Advertisement
Brought him up....i like his jr film...Hes in an area where we snatched an underrated kid in last class.

Would essentially be flipping him from Minn...I'd like to get in there. Keep this kid hot while whale shooting the long shots.
I watched his film yesterday when you linked it. Actually, what impressed me most was his ability to process plays in front of him. He's DE sized kid who breaks down like a MLB and moves laterally well. That stood out to me more than anything in his HS film.

Super clear Miami is looking for lengthier, 5T, 4i, 3T types.

It is interesting to see if we move to more penny fronts (5-1 fronts) in their nickel formations.

The length and strength to take a gap and a half would allow to play more light boxes with five DB’s.

Don’t have the size at all right now to play it much. Or even tite fronts (two 3T and two 9T) with stacked LB’s.

He’s now on the board I heard.
Maybe someone is reading the board, because this one's @gogeta4's dude, as there are multiple links to his posts about it. Anyway, someone send our guy Go an invite to the next seafood table (see last attachment).

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.44.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.44.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.46.56 PM.png

It is interesting to see if we move to more penny fronts (5-1 fronts) in their nickel formations.

The length and strength to take a gap and a half would allow to play more light boxes with five DB’s.

Don’t have the size at all right now to play it much. Or even tite fronts (two 3T and two 9T) with stacked LB’s.

Slide5.JPG

Advertisement

I thought we'd go 4i-0-4i last year with Agude, DJax, and Mesidor. Didn't really see as much variation as I expected. It's like we said "you know what, **** it all."

Yeah, they called it a 3-3-5 there, but it’s really a 5-1 and they aligned it as Bear to move the box that the offense would have open in run game (which is why your DE’s squeeze the B). I figure you’ll have your LB’s spill any pullers, but not sure of that.

When coaches call it all this different stuff, they do so to make themselves sound exotic. Ha

But calling it a 5-1 nickel is more intuitive to average fans (not meant as a pejorative). You hear that you immediately think 5 on the line, 1 LB, then nickel is 5 DB’s.

Advertisement
Yeah, they called it a 3-3-5 there, but it’s really a 5-1 and they aligned it as Bear to move the box that the offense would have open in run game (which is why your DE’s squeeze the B). I figure you’ll have your LB’s spill any pullers, but not sure of that.

When coaches call it all this different stuff, they do so to make themselves sound exotic. Ha

But calling it a 5-1 nickel is more intuitive to average fans (not meant as a pejorative). You hear that you immediately think 5 on the line, 1 LB, then nickel is 5 DB’s.
I see your point but I would say that it depends on whether your terminology/identifications are personnel or alignment based. Calling that a 5-1 speaks to alignment. Saying it's a 3-3-5 is about personnel. Calling that a Penny(3-3-5) tells you both. What I want to know is what makes it a bear? Thanks.

I see your point but I would say that it depends on whether your terminology/identifications are personnel or alignment based. Calling that a 5-1 speaks to alignment. Saying it's a 3-3-5 is about personnel. Calling that a Penny(3-3-5) tells you both. What I want to know is what makes it a bear? Thanks.
The Penny comes from the 1, not the 3-3-5. It’s just a play on nickel and dime names already prevalent.

A Bear is just a 3-0-3 front. Or two 3T’s and a 0T on your front. Your ends will have outside leverage. Most teams walk a S down and help with quick game and play cover-1 behind it. Essentially, you are covering the G’s and C.

You can get exotic with when you use it, but most often you’re using it against heavy offense fronts.

The Penny comes from the 1, not the 3-3-5. It’s just a play on nickel and dime names already prevalent.

A Bear is just a 3-0-3 front. Or two 3T’s and a 0T on your front. Your ends will have outside leverage. Most teams walk a S down and help with quick game and play cover-1 behind it. Essentially, you are covering the G’s and C.

You can get exotic with when you use it, but most often you’re using it against heavy offense fronts.
Thank you for getting back to me and explaining things so well . I always appreciate the opportunity to pick your brain.

P. S. I think you may have misunderstood something in my post. When I wrote "Penny(3-3-5) I wasn't saying that the term Penny came from 3-3-5. I was saying that when someone calls that defense above a 5-1 they are referring to the alignment(5 man front with 1 man in the box behind that front(usually a LB). When someone says it's a 3-3-5 they are telling you the personnel used in that 5-1 alignment. Instead of saying a 5-1 front, that alignment is called a Penny front. So when someone calls it a Penny/3-3-5 they are conveying both alignment(Penny(which is a 5-1) and personnel( the 3-3-5 part which tells you that the personnel consists of 3 DL 3 LB and 5 DB. Do you see what I was trying to say?

Thanks again for the breakdown. I love your posts and love the way you break things down for the layman.

Advertisement
Yes, the same series that brought you Braylen Pressly, Duece Vaughn, Riley Leonard, and others is back! Get used to it.

Spotlight is fully on Minnesota commit Adam Kissayi. 6’7 230 DE from Palm Bay that also plays TE and has a soccer background. I was actually astonished that he’s ranked as low as he is. Turn on the tape and you see an NFL athlete with a tremendous body and motor. He’s easily going to play at 270-280. He’s raw but has some basic moves that he uses and he’s got production to match with 8.5 sacks last season. As you watch further on and the start to focus on his run D you’ll see a decent understanding of leverage which is a plus because usually guys his size have to work on it tremendously.

I don’t know how he’s ranked as low as he is but the Gophers are getting a potential gem if they can get him.

Very very intriguing prospect. Like someone said Kissayi is an unusual athlete. It's very rare to see a kid with that type of height 6'7½" have the type of lateral movement skills that Kissayi has on a 230 lb frame. He also seems to have an excellent grasp of the game mentally and an uncommon understanding of leverage. Add the multi sport background of soccer plus experience playing QB and TE and you have a fascinating prospect.

The question is what his money position will be going forward. DE? TE? OT?

You would think based on measurables that this kid is a no brainer for every offer in the country. Watched most of the tape and the only thing missing in his game is power. I wonder if that’s the issue with Miami.
I think you hit on something. That freakish frame needs some serious muscle and he needs to work on being able to generate power and explosion. Kissayi needs major strength work in order to be effective at the P5 level.

Advertisement
You would think based on measurables that this kid is a no brainer for every offer in the country. Watched most of the tape and the only thing missing in his game is power. I wonder if that’s the issue with Miami.
Did you consider GR powerful coming off the edge? I felt it was his size/length (pause) that helped him keep separation and his IQ allowed him to stay calm in pursuit to track down the QB. Often when the QB tried to step up into the pocket.

If this kid lacks power he’ll need to be a student of the game and really learn how use his body to his advantage.

I think you hit on something. That freakish frame needs some serious muscle and he needs to work on being able to generate power and explosion. Kissayi needs major strength work in order to be effective at the P5 level.
I think the functional strength part is most crucial. If he's 6'7" he can put on 30 pounds of lean mass and still won't look that big/filled out so adding the necessary functionality will allow him to survive and not be a liability vs the run. I like the prospect though, amazing upside here. And Lance seems to indicate the staff may be evaluating him right now. Good find Z.

Did you consider GR powerful coming off the edge? I felt it was his size/length (pause) that helped him keep separation and his IQ allowed him to stay calm in pursuit to track down the QB. Often when the QB tried to step up into the pocket.

If this kid lacks power he’ll need to be a student of the game and really learn how use his body to his advantage.
We didn't have film of GR playing DE though. He was playing DB/LB. I don't think they are comparable from a movement skillset.

I won't say no to a kid like this based on what he has put on film but I am pointing out what he might be missing in the eval.

Advertisement
Back