2023 WR Board (2023 Edition)

Creating a thread to discuss the top 5-6 WRs on the board for both 2023 and 2024

@DMoney says these are the current priorities (not necessarily in the order the staff would rank them though)
  • Robby Washington (Commit)
  • Nathaniel Joseph (Commit)
  • Jalen Brown
  • Hykeem Williams
  • Andy Jean (Decommit)

However, @LeedsCane dropped this nugget in her latest podcast.

Canes are targeting 3 TEs AND 5 WRs in the 2023 class.

@Cribby says if the right WR wants in (aka Jean), they'd take 5. Couple weeks back, I caught flak for saying we're taking 3 TEs and that materialized so I think its likely 5 is the magical WR number this year.

Fifth Slot Options

Would seem like the board for the fifth and final slot would be these three (unless they're recruiting someone we're not aware of which is very likely w/Mario)
  • Jurrion ****ey
  • Raymond Cottrell
2023 Pipe Dreams
  • Tyler Williams (he's from Lakeland so he's not coming here, but if Billy and the G5s continue their with current recruiting style, maybe the impossible happens)?

If we take a large (5) WR class in 2023, we're going to have to be selective in 2024 even if there's no IC limit simply from a WR spacing standpoint. I'm not too up on the 2024 WR board, but I'm guessing it would be something like this (will update the OP when additional names are pointed out to me):

2024 WR Priorities (pure uneducated guess on my part right now)

• JoJo Trader
  • Jeremiah Smith
  • Ryan Wingo
  • Jelani Watkins (?)
Likely list of Top 2024 WR from @Liberty City El and @DC3

2024 Florida
  • Joshisa Trader, Miami Central
  • Jeremiah Smith, Chaminade
  • Bredell Richardson, Carrollwood Day
  • Zycarl Lewis, Carrollwood Day
  • James Madison II, STA
  • Earl Kulp, STA
  • Chance Robinson, STA
  • Ric’Darious Farmer, Holy Trinity Episcopal (Melbourne)
  • James Randle, Mainland

2024 National

• Ryan Wingo, STL
  • KJ Bolden (Also can play Safety), Buford GA
  • Brandon Winton, IMG (from Tennessee)
  • Micah Hudson, Lake Belton TX
  • Ryan Pellum, Millikan (LBC)
  • Jordan Anderson, Millikan (LBC)
  • Jelani Watkins, Klein Forest TX
  • Ny Carr, Colquitt County GA
  • Tyseer Denmark, Roman Catholic (Philly)
  • Chanz Wiggins (Virginia)
  • Kaylen Adams (Virginia)

Wingo transferring to Cali. Lincoln had nothing to do with that of course 🤫

Advertisement
Wingo transferring to Cali. Lincoln had nothing to do with that of course 🤫

There goes my already slim hopes for sneaking Wingo out of STL. That bubble burst quickly

hate bubble GIF

Can the CIS gurus give us a quick 1-2 sentence eval/comparison on these five targets (and maybe rank them by tiers if there's any separation in your opinions):

Robby Washington, 5-10, 185, Palmetto (84th nationally by 247 Sports)
Nathaniel Joseph, 5-8, 170, Edison (109th)
Jalen Brown, 6-1, 170, Gulliver (40th)
Andy Jean, 6-1, 180, Northwestern (NR)
Hykeem Stranahan, 6-3, 200 (38th)

Also, did Brown and the CB at Gulliver (Daniel Harris) both transfer in from Booker T. (or somewhere else)? I was thinking I remember them starting out somewhere else

Advertisement
When you factor in that jackson carver could very well be a DE, then the three TE plan looks like a serious possibility.
Personally, I think Carver at DE has Rousseau type upside, but that's just me.
Because Carver is white I am legally required to compare him to Rusty Medearis, Kevin Patrick and Darren Krein. In all seriousness I also think Carver could be a really good d-end. I won’t compare anyone to Rusty who was going to be an all-time great before the injury, but the Patrick and Krein comparisons are actually reasonable.

What's interesting is until late May, early June, Colbie was a '23 WR. This is why he wasn't heavily recruited by most schools in the 22 cycle because they thought they had a full year to go in his recruitment (see this article).

Article says that Mario was the lead recruiter for Young (this I didn't realize until I read the article). FWIW, my understanding is if Young was a '23 WR, the staff thought enough of him that he'd be in my list of targets in the OP and the article confirms this. Should give us an idea of his skill set and what the staff think of him.

Young on Mario: “He told me they need receivers NOW.”
Caps are mine. But this shows you how our staff views our WR room.
A little scary.

Advertisement
Because Carver is white I am legally required to compare him to Rusty Medearis, Kevin Patrick and Darren Krein. In all seriousness I also think Carver could be a really good d-end. I won’t compare anyone to Rusty who was going to be an all-time great before the injury, but the Patrick and Krein comparisons are actually reasonable.
Bill Hawkins?

Advertisement
Can the CIS gurus give us a quick 1-2 sentence eval/comparison on these five targets (and maybe rank them by tiers if there's any separation in your opinions):

Robby Washington- Elite play speed and acceleration with solid build. Has played multiple positions and still developing as WR.
Nathaniel Joseph- Most elusive player in the class and has plus balance for size. Get the ball in his hands quick on short passes or returns.
Jalen Brown- Track athlete with straight-line speed and good length. Must be more consistent catching the ball. May fit best at CB like CJ Henderson.
Andy Jean- Lean route-runner who explodes out of his breaks and wears 2XL gloves. Hard worker who projects as a craftsman at WR.
Hykeem Williams- Physical beast with size and speed. More of a raw athlete than a WR at the moment. Does best work after catch. Basketball player.

See above. They are all in the same top tier for me, although they have different skill sets. Work ethic and IQ will separate them. This is a great class.

Colbie Young will score touchdowns in the red zone this year. Big, strong, athletic and is aggressive after the ball over the punk 5'-9" corners who he can block, muscle, and go up over for catches. Good get for this year at 6'-4" and 220 lbs., maybe bigger. Hard man to bring down too.

Advertisement
Colbie Young and Isaiah Horton have the size, Washington and Joseph have the speed and agility. Would love to add Jalen Brown for his deep threat ability and then one of Hykeem, Jean, Fowles or Cottrell.

Advertisement
Back