With tagovailoa in the portal, here's his tape v. common opponents (Rutgers)

With t²'s little brother's possible transfer to Miami, thought a good reference and feeler for the type of player he is, or season he's had...., would be to see how he performed v. common opponents (same teams faced by the Canes), starting with the most recent (to make it less unrepresentative than perhaps his older tape). I looked up Rutgers (even though it's a bowl game), who shares the same conference with Maryland (B10), and I came across the following highlights (I know it's highlight, but tagovailoa seemed poised, looks promising... enjoy, I hope):

Not downplaying tagovalioa, but when he played Rutgers: Rutgers just went through a schedule of: Ohio state , Iowa and Penn State. The defense was a shell of itself. With that said he is good and he would help Miami.

Advertisement
Rutgers was not as bad as many of you make them out to be. They were 6-6 in the Big Ten. 4 of the losses were aginst ranked teams and 3 of those were to teams ranked in the Top 10 at the end of the year. The RB who ran all over us?......led the Big 10 in rushing, They weren't great or even good, but certainly a decent team,

PS I live in Jersey so go **** yourselves........kidding, Canes are my #1 team and Rutgers is 2........there is no 3.
To your point, Rutgers out gained OSU in yards 361 to 328 and was about to go up 16-7 midway through the 3rd quarter until an unlucky pick 6 went the other way for 90 yards and changed the whole game. Rutgers ran for 232 yards on an elite OSU defense. We held them to 292 total yards with a ton of starters out

Last edited:
I don't see a point to this thread. He put his name in the portal, but have clearance from the NCAA for an extra year because good Ole Saint Nick burned his redshirt for 3 plays thst he took a knee.

I hope he's granted his extra year of eligibility, but it's not something you can count on and thr NCAA likely won't make a ruling before the Spring semester begins which makes this exercise pointless.

Whoever the staff brings in, it needs to happen ASAP as classes start next week.

Spring is the time for the QB competition. You don't want JB and Emory competing in the Spring only to have some guy come in at Fall camp and handed QB1. A sure fire way to lose your team and 1 or 2 QBs. Nor do you want 4 guys splitting starter snaps in Fall camp.

Not downplaying tagovalioa, but when he played Rutgers: Rutgers just went through a schedule of: Ohio state , Iowa and Penn State. The defense was a shell of itself. With that said he is good and he would help Miami.
-
I hear you... Sometimes tougher competition can have an iron-sharpening effect (analogous to the reason that coaches try to make practices as tough as possible...), but you make a valid point. After dealing with that schedule, and coming off succesive L's, that can have an effect on the players (even if temporary), and lead to vastly different quality of play...

Advertisement
I don't see a point to this thread. He put his name in the portal, but have clearance from the NCAA for an extra year because good Ole Saint Nick burned his redshirt for 3 plays thst he took a knee.

I hope he's granted his extra year of eligibility, but it's not something you can count on and thr NCAA likely won't make a ruling before the Spring semester begins which makes this exercise pointless.

Whoever the staff brings in, it needs to happen ASAP as classes start next week.

Spring is the time for the QB competition. You don't want JB and Emory competing in the Spring only to have some guy come in at Fall camp and handed QB1. A sure fire way to lose your team and 1 or 2 QBs. Nor do you want 4 guys splitting starter snaps in Fall camp.

-likelihood of granted eligibility suggested by his entry into the portal (speaks to his confidence in obtaining a reinstatement waiver, which can be based on undisclosed info --so worth the talk... Also (not that it has to be justified --especially during the offseason), I didn't 'start the fire' (Billy Joel reference). Taulia to Miami's been within the lines of discussion among many 'Cane channels (I didn't introduce him into the conversation of potential QB pick ups; I'm offering footage of his play v. common opponents to familiarize the fan base with the type of player he is --beyond the stats).

Second, I'm not sure that a QB with as many miles as taulia wouldn't be a strongly considered portal candidate (for any team) because of him missing spring practice... As important as building relationships and developing chemistry with teammates can be, he's not short on game time experience, and perhaps some element of that can help him compensate for nt attending spring training...
My assumption: Canes'll pick up two QB's if taulia's eligibility is granted (including taulia in case it wasn't obvious) along with a young, project QB presumably and hopefully before the Spring (to give younger QB's with less experience more time to gel if needed particularly early in the season (e.g.., injury to starter, etc.).

When I saw a jersey with Cristobal on the back and not Lee, 11 behind C, 22 on the shelf, and young safeties in the defensive backfield, I realized it was a possibility. Still couldn’t believe it tho.
Wasn’t even really the thing safeties they have 2 Nickes playing safety for some reason

-likelihood of granted eligibility suggested by his entry into the portal (speaks to his confidence in obtaining a reinstatement waiver, which can be based on undisclosed info --so worth the talk... Also (not that it has to be justified --especially during the offseason), I didn't 'start the fire' (Billy Joel reference). Taulia to Miami's been within the lines of discussion among many 'Cane channels (I didn't introduce him into the conversation of potential QB pick ups; I'm offering footage of his play v. common opponents to familiarize the fan base with the type of player he is --beyond the stats).

Second, I'm not sure that a QB with as many miles as taulia wouldn't be a strongly considered portal candidate (for any team) because of him missing spring practice... As important as building relationships and developing chemistry with teammates can be, he's not short on game time experience, and perhaps some element of that can help him compensate for nt attending spring training...
My assumption: Canes'll pick up two QB's if taulia's eligibility is granted (including taulia in case it wasn't obvious) along with a young, project QB presumably and hopefully before the Spring (to give younger QB's with less experience more time to gel if needed particularly early in the season (e.g.., injury to starter, etc.).
No it doesn't. It was his only move. What else is he going to do? He had to enter the portal to meet the deadline.

I'm sure Darrel Jackson thought he was getting a wavier last year. I would be shocked if he's granted a waiver.

If granted a waiver, he likely doesn't transfer until summer because classes begin this week and the NCAA has no incentive to move quickly. They like to be penal even when granting a waiver.

Waiting around for a guy to see if he gets cleared who's just slightly better than average doesn't make sense. I don't think he gives us any more wins than what we have in house.

No it doesn't. It was his only move. What else is he going to do? He had to enter the portal to meet the deadline.

I'm sure Darrel Jackson thought he was getting a wavier last year. I would be shocked if he's granted a waiver.

If granted a waiver, he likely doesn't transfer until summer because classes begin this week and the NCAA has no incentive to move quickly. They like to be penal even when granting a waiver.

Waiting around for a guy to see if he gets cleared who's just slightly better than average doesn't make sense. I don't think he gives us any more wins than what we have in house.

"No it doesn't... he had to meet the deadline" -Sounds more assertive than sound...

There are two transfer portal windows (the second of which hasn't even started ), so the deadline bit itself is dead.

As to the likelihood of his waiver approval, the ncaa has discretionary (subject to vote) exception requests built into their framework, so even if an applicant's profile doesn't line up with the mechanical requirements..., they can still get approval if they get enough votes...

And this leads to my next point: t2 apparently has the support of both Alabama and Maryland, which can go a long way (see traction gained by Martell (different circumstances, but his request invited overall support via OSU's support for his waiver).

With respect to his other option, it rhymes with entering the draft, which as a projected day 3 pick is what many players do...

And the "he's slightly better than average" take (which I don't agree with) may not be the most helpful way to address or even view our QB situation ... Perhaps it's "who would be the best option" given our circumstance... And right now, he's certainly in the discussion...

All that said, why are some so bent on talking about whether it's worth talking about Taulia lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"No it doesn't... he had to meet the deadline" -Sounds more assertive than sound...

There are two transfer portal windows (the second of which hasn't even started ), so the deadline bit itself is dead.

As to the likelihood of his waiver approval, the ncaa has discretionary (subject to vote) exception requests built into their framework, so even if an applicant's profile doesn't line up with the mechanical requirements..., they can still get approval if they get enough votes...

And this leads to my next point: t2 apparently has the support of both Alabama and Maryland, which can go a long way (see traction gained by Martell (different circumstances, but his request invited overall support via OSU's support for his waiver).

With respect to his other option, it rhymes with entering the draft, which as a projected day 3 pick is what many players do...

And the "he's slightly better than average" take (which I don't agree with) may not be the most helpful way to address or even view our QB situation ... Perhaps it's "who would be the best option" given our circumstance... And right now, he's certainly in the discussion...

All that said, why are some so bent on talking about whether it's worth talking about Taulia lol.
Like I said which you completely ignored, we don't want a transfer QB coming in the summer.

Are you going to have JB and Emory battling it out in the Spring only to have a transfer QB come into Fall camp and replace them? **** NO!!! A sure fire way to lose your QB room and your team, plus the new guy has very little time to learn the playbook and acclimated with his new teammates.

JB and Emory have put in the time and sweat with their brothers. Do you really think the team is going to accept a new QB coming into Fall camp who is handed the QB1 job after all the time they've spent with their brothers?

The transfer QB needs to be here in the Spring. Otherwise, a whole other can of worms get opened.

You're looking at the situation like a fan. You need to see it from the player's perspective.

Like I said which you completely ignored, we don't want a transfer QB coming in the summer.

Are you going to have JB and Emory battling it out in the Spring only to have a transfer QB come into Fall camp and replace them? **** NO!!! A sure fire way to lose your QB room and your team, plus the new guy has very little time to learn the playbook and acclimated with his new teammates.

JB and Emory have put in the time and sweat with their brothers. Do you really think the team is going to accept a new QB coming into Fall camp who is handed the QB1 job after all the time they've spent with their brothers?

The transfer QB needs to be here in the Spring. Otherwise, a whole other can of worms get opened.

You're looking at the situation like a fan. You need to see it from the player's perspective.

They can all go

Seems you missed 9/10th of what I wrote and focused on the very last part, when I had only had TVDs record breaking 2021 season to evaluate him as a QB. On the other hand, I had about 8 years of seeing Cristobal coaching at FIU and Oregon, which is why it wasn't difficult to predict why we are where we are right now. Anyone could have seen that evidence, but chose not to.

As for TVD, it's interesting that even after the Gattis debacle, Nick Saban wanted him. And then after this season where the Cristo-bros want to blame TVD and not Dawson, TVD still landed at another P5. So it seems UM fans think they are better at evaluating TVD as a QB than Luke Fickell or Nick Saban.
and Phil Longo

Advertisement
Back