Who stays. Who goes

He's visiting St. John's. Pitino targeted him when he coached at Iona, so there is some history there.

What are your thoughts on him as a player?
I think Pitino is just doing his due diligence by bringing him in. Benz is probably Plan B or C for the Johnnie's. They're bringing in a slew of guys including at least 2 guards who are originally from South Florida. Offensively, Benz isn't better than Mashburn, Jr. (Gulliver Prep) and Kolby King (Pines Charter) is just as good defensively and much better on the offensive side of the ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1712507008907.png

I might be in the minority but I think Coach L’s early transfer acquisitions would bode well for Omier to return with continued emphasis on his perimeter game.
Agree to a certain extent but there is part of me that is interested in seeing Cleveland back at his natural position

I might be in the minority but I think Coach L’s early transfer acquisitions would bode well for Omier to return with continued emphasis on his perimeter game.
Agreed. He's not going to be a center in the NBA but he can carve himself out a PJ Tucker type game and have a good career. Strong defender and rebounder with a nice 3pt shot.

Mainly he's got to be a smart player and develop his handle and shooting. He's already strong enough.

Advertisement
I still can’t believe Nwoko left. Unless the staff told him to it just baffles the mind. He would have played major minutes next year. He would have been a key bench piece.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Coming into this season, lots of people were saying the same thing about playing time and being a key piece. Nwoko wasn't going to waste another year on the bench. I don't blame him one iota. To me, blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff for not finding a way to get him more involved this season.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Coming into this season, lots of people were saying the same thing about playing time and being a key piece. Nwoko wasn't going to waste another year on the bench. I don't blame him one iota. To me, blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff for not finding a way to get him more involved this season.
Must have been in L’s doghouse. He probably had enough of Nwoko and told him it’s best to find other opportunities elsewhere.

Must have been in L’s doghouse. He probably had enough of Nwoko and told him it’s best to find other opportunities elsewhere.
I wish you were right but from what I've heard, that's not how it went down. Coach L wanted him back and tried to save face late in the season by offering Nwoko more PT, but by then it was too late. Nwoko and his circle had decided he was out.

Advertisement
I wish you were right but from what I've heard, that's not how it went down. Coach L wanted him back and tried to save face late in the season by offering Nwoko more PT, but by then it was too late. Nwoko and his circle had decided he was out.
Yea I wish that wasn’t the case. It’s whatever tho you move on and hope it works out. Nwoko seemed like a good dude and I wish him well.

Going to call BS on this. The staff placed a big bet on Nwoko to come in and contribute right away, even deciding that they didn't need a proven backup big. He played 18 minutes at Rupp, 13 minutes against FIU and then 33 minutes against Syracuse early in conference play, so there were plenty of opportunities that came his way. His offensive game is incredibly raw and he looked completely out of place on the defensive end.

I think there's a reason why no one has plucked him out of the portal yet and I'll keep it at that.

In his last interview, it was obvious Jim was ****ed. At times Nwoko was unplayable especially early in the season. He couldn't even finish with bunnies. He was lost on defense. That being said he was on schedule to get major minutes this fall, possibly even work his way into the starting lineup. Where is he going to be an instant starter?

We replaced him on the front court with 2 veterans who can score.

Advertisement
In his last interview, it was obvious Jim was ****ed. At times Nwoko was unplayable especially early in the season. He couldn't even finish with bunnies. He was lost on defense. That being said he was on schedule to get major minutes this fall, possibly even work his way into the starting lineup. Where is he going to be an instant starter?

We replaced him on the front court with 2 veterans who can score.
His lack of coordination was the most eye opening thing for me. Shame on me for not watching full games instead of just watching his highlights because man did his highlights show a totally different player.

He can’t catch a cold currently, He plays way under the rim when he shouldn’t, and his feet are all out of wack (that’s normal for a true freshman though).

To say I was surprised what he looked like early in year is a understatement. But he improved significantly as the year went on and really wish he came back

Last edited:
His lack of coordination was the most eye opening thing for me. Shame on me for not watching full games instead of just watching his highlights because man did his highlights show a totally different player.

He can’t catch a cold currently, He plays way under the rim when he shouldn’t, and his feet are all out of wack (that’s normal for a true freshman thought).

To say I was surprised what he looked like early in year is a understatement. But he improved significantly as the year went on and really wish he came back
I think Jim's lessons learned is recruiting a kid like Jekiri or Uzundu are no longer possible.

Nwoko leaving did us a favor. He was more likely to be a locker room issue next year.

On that note, any movement on Casey or Watson?

He can’t catch a cold currently, He plays way under the rim when he shouldn’t, and his feet are all out of wack (that’s normal for a true freshman thought).

His U19 play in June of last year was incredibly promising - 12 and 5 per including an 18 point performance against Spain. He also played pretty well in the France scrimmages too from what I remember.

I'm not sure what happened between then and the beginning of the season but he looked totally out of place. Between him, Aire and some of the other developmental bigs we've brought in over the past handful of years, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff looks to exclusively acquire talent at the 5 spot via the portal moving forward.

Advertisement
Back