What is our rooster as of today?

Quit the season.. Not for ever....

And, look, I'm not super mad at you, but the season is over. Time to start paying attention to the new roster.

I'm just here 24-7-365 for all UM sports. I went to all 3 baseball games at GaTech and saw us take 2 Ls.

Advertisement
That’s what I’m trying to do. Should be a thread tagged at the top. Whose gone and who joined.

Need one more for sure. Goal is two. If we can add at least one (preferably 2) serviceable rotation big(s), I think we’re in the mix as long as Pack stays healthy.
Would love to see us add a big man and a PG or CG. I don't think we have a single true PG on the team. Pack (more of an undersized 2) will probably be our primary ball-handler and Bethea (a scoring guard) will probably will likely back him up when needed. I know Coach L likes to play positionless ball but we could run into some trouble if/when teams decide to pick us up 94 feet and we start seeing some presses.

Would love to see us add a big man and a PG or CG. I don't think we have a single true PG on the team. Pack (more of an undersized 2) will probably be our primary ball-handler and Bethea (a scoring guard) will probably will likely back him up when needed. I know Coach L likes to play positionless ball but we could run into some trouble if/when teams decide to pick us up 94 feet and we start seeing some presses.
Hate to burst your bubble but true, past-first PG are becoming obsolete in the game of basketball. UCONN's starting PG - Tristen Newton - was a 6'5 combo guard. Mark Sears played the point for Bama and his assist numbers are similar to Nijel's.

Hate to burst your bubble but true, past-first PG are becoming obsolete in the game of basketball. UCONN's starting PG - Tristen Newton - was a 6'5 combo guard. Mark Sears played the point for Bama and his assist numbers are similar to Nijel's.
Not bursting my bubble one bit. Positionless basketball is the flavor of the month. Has been for a while now. Everyone seems to be in tune with it including Coach L as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, when I say PG, I'm referring to someone who can handle the ball at a high level and create for others. We don't have that. I don't think we have anyone on the team who can put the ball on the floor against pressure, get by a defender and create for a teammate. This isn't the NBA where you're consistently looking at 1-on-1 ISO's and P&R's. At the college level you're going to see more teams try different things, such as pressing, trapping, double teams, etc. Pack has struggled with this and if we're going into this season with him as our only viable option.... YIKES!

Advertisement
Not bursting my bubble one bit. Positionless basketball is the flavor of the month. Has been for a while now. Everyone seems to be in tune with it including Coach L as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, when I say PG, I'm referring to someone who can handle the ball at a high level and create for others. We don't have that. I don't think we have anyone on the team who can put the ball on the floor against pressure, get by a defender and create for a teammate. This isn't the NBA where you're consistently looking at 1-on-1 ISO's and P&R's. At the college level you're going to see more teams try different things, such as pressing, trapping, double teams, etc. Pack has struggled with this and if we're going into this season with him as our only viable option.... YIKES!
Blackmon will handle too

Blackmon will handle too
I saw Blackmon twice this past season in person with Stetson and I can't say I saw anything from him to tell me he'll be a significant upgrade to what we currently have in the ball-handling department. In fact, in one of the games he struggled mightily. Good scorer, but very similar to what we already have in Pack. More of an undersized 2, than a guy who can put it on the floor and get by pressure defense with consistency.

Agree 200%. (A needed solid) PG would also need to be comfy with Pack as the primary offensive "play target". Apparently Wooga was not and was part of reason for leaving, and in general Coach L's "target Pack" tactics didn't do much for team chemistry (which may have already been selfish.) Hope to see this all meld better next season.

I saw Blackmon twice this past season in person with Stetson and I can't say I saw anything from him to tell me he'll be a significant upgrade to what we currently have in the ball-handling department. In fact, in one of the games he struggled mightily. Good scorer, but very similar to what we already have in Pack. More of an undersized 2, than a guy who can put it on the floor and get by pressure defense with consistency.
It'll be by committee, just as it was two years ago.

Advertisement
Most of the fanbase is like this sadly. They disappear when things aren't going well and then pop up out of nowhere with uninformed questions like this.
Yet they wonder why the student athletes and the long time supporters view them as vultures when they do come around.

It'll be by committee, just as it was two years ago.
Considering there currently isn't a player on the team who could run the point, I imagine that's the only option left unless we add a quality PG from the portal. Last few years it's been by committee, including this past season. Difference between last year and 2 years ago was Wong and Miller. Key pieces who were able to score and facilitate off of their mismatches. Would love it IF we see a more improved Pack next season. A guy who isn't just a shooter. It would behoove him if he could develop that portion of his game. Probably the biggest reason why we're not seeing him on any draft boards.

Rooting hard for Jim to bounce back this year, but this looks like a .500 or maybe a game or 2 above conference roster which would probably mean bubble team.

Last year killed so much momentum with the program. Really stinks we couldnt build or at least continue some sort of momentum. Only at Miami would you get the best seasons in school history followed by quite possibly the worst. Hope we bounce back.

Considering there currently isn't a player on the team who could run the point, I imagine that's the only option left unless we add a quality PG from the portal. Last few years it's been by committee, including this past season. Difference between last year and 2 years ago was Wong and Miller. Key pieces who were able to score and facilitate off of their mismatches. Would love it IF we see a more improved Pack next season. A guy who isn't just a shooter. It would behoove him if he could develop that portion of his game. Probably the biggest reason why we're not seeing him on any draft boards.
Wong and Pack weren't true point guards and both handled the ball a ton. We'll have 5 starters in our starting lineup that averaged at least 14 ppg last season. We'll have more length in the front court as well with Cleveland moving back to his natural position at the 3.

Advertisement
Rooting hard for Jim to bounce back this year, but this looks like a .500 or maybe a game or 2 above conference roster which would probably mean bubble team.

Last year killed so much momentum with the program. Really stinks we couldnt build or at least continue some sort of momentum. Only at Miami would you get the best seasons in school history followed by quite possibly the worst. Hope we bounce back.
This is such a horrendous take. Prognosticating that this is a .500 team in May when we still have 3 scholarships open is really going out on a limb. Also, and no offense to you, but folks that are far more plugged into the sport believe we're a tournament team next year, and that's without knowing who fills out the rest of our roster.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2025-march-madness-men-field-predictions - 9 seed

This is such a horrendous take. Prognosticating that this is a .500 team in May when we still have 3 scholarships open is really going out on a limb. Also, and no offense to you, but folks that are far more plugged into the sport believe we're a tournament team next year, and that's without knowing who fills out the rest of our roster.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2025-march-madness-men-field-predictions - 9 seed
Any update on the Idaho State kid?

One, this is based on who we have so far. Ive taken into possibly adding the Idaho State big man, and it just doesnt move the needle much for me. Of course adding someone of signifigant talent or needle mover could change my outlook. At this point I dont see it.

I admit, I am beaten down a little after last year, but i dont think the take is horrendous at all. I think its being fairly objective. Also we were preseason #13 last year, so I dont put a ton of stock in preseason mags/rags.

Advertisement
One, this is based on who we have so far. Ive taken into possibly adding the Idaho State big man, and it just doesnt move the needle much for me. Of course adding someone of signifigant talent or needle mover could change my outlook. At this point I dont see it.

I admit, I am beaten down a little after last year, but i dont think the take is horrendous at all. I think its being fairly objective. Also we were preseason #13 last year, so I dont put a ton of stock in preseason mags/rags.

Last year happened because we had one playable frontcourt guy (who was awesome) but he was 6’6” AND we had injury problems and (obviously as we have recently seen) ego issues.

Kidd and Johnson are proven solid players at the 4 & 5. Add another big body who brings toughness and grabs boards and combine that with a handful of versatile scorers and it may be just the type of team that L outperforms expectations with. I think Cleveland can do great things at the 3 and Pack, Blackmon, and Bethea are a big time backcourt combination…

PG is a valid concern but I still believe as long as Pack stays healthy we’ll be ok.

Our projected starting 5 all averaged over 14 points per game last year. We are going to have a top 10 recruit coming off the bench.

The Idaho St kid will be a rotational big off the bench, so of course he won’t ’move the needle’, but that’s not the point. We aren’t done adding either but I’m not sure what else you need to see

Last year happened because we had one playable frontcourt guy (who was awesome) but he was 6’6” AND we had injury problems and (obviously as we have recently seen) ego issues.

Kidd and Johnson are proven solid players at the 4 & 5. Add another big body who brings toughness and grabs boards and combine that with a handful of versatile scorers and it may be just the type of team that L outperforms expectations with. I think Cleveland can do great things at the 3 and Pack, Blackmon, and Bethea are a big time backcourt combination…

PG is a valid concern but I still believe as long as Pack stays healthy we’ll be ok.
Agree with you on PG but every team has question marks that have to be answered. Last year was a perfect storm of ****. We completely overhauled our roster so anyone using last year as an excuse to be pessimistic is outing themselves as a casual follower of the program that doesn’t pay much attention to what’s going on.

Wong and Pack weren't true point guards and both handled the ball a ton. We'll have 5 starters in our starting lineup that averaged at least 14 ppg last season. We'll have more length in the front court as well with Cleveland moving back to his natural position at the 3.
Again, last season we had no one who could put the ball on the floor and get by a defender to create for themselves or others. We struggled against pressure. 2 years ago Wong and Miller played a big role in doing those things. Time will tell if anyone on this current team can do it.

Advertisement
Back