vs ND 12 noon Saturday on the CW, Canes (-14.5)

Advertisement
i’m not worried. Coach L teams always get better throughout the year and this team will be no different.

we’re not playing our best basketball right now and we’re six and one with a real chance to finish the month of December undefeated.
agreed. definitely questions about ceiling and how much the young guys can improve but it's going to be a fun season regardless.

Advertisement
Wasn't exactly pretty but I'll take a double digit conference win after a crushing loss. Made enough plays to win relatively comfortably against a bigger, well-coached team. Watson is coming along and L is trusting the bench more.

On the negative side I don't think they did enough to help Wooga. Need to get him more screens and plays to free him up, or make them pay for overplaying him. We seemed unprepared for that. Also Bensley has to start contributing something on offense. Also, we were pretty lucky ND missed a lot of open 3s. We got beat on the offensive glass 15-4 I think and against good shooting teams that would be a killer. Keyshawn is confident pushing the ball in transition by has no clue how to finish right now. Nwoko has bad hands. There's a lot to work on and we have a good stretch of mostly overmatched teams coming up to get things right.

Wasn't exactly pretty but I'll take a double digit conference win after a crushing loss. Made enough plays to win relatively comfortably against a bigger, well-coached team. Watson is coming along and L is trusting the bench more.

On the negative side I don't think they did enough to help Wooga. Need to get him more screens and plays to free him up, or make them pay for overplaying him. We seemed unprepared for that. Also Bensley has to start contributing something on offense. Also, we were pretty lucky ND missed a lot of open 3s. We got beat on the offensive glass 15-4 I think and against good shooting teams that would be a killer. Keyshawn is confident pushing the ball in transition by has no clue how to finish right now. Nwoko has bad hands. There's a lot to work on and we have a good stretch of mostly overmatched teams coming up to get things right.
Was about what I expected coming off that loss

Any time you walk away with a W, it's a good thing. No matter how you got it. A few concerns about this team and it's mostly on the defensive end. Our guards continue to die easily on screens. No fight whatsoever in trying to work thru them. Guards are also doing a poor job of defending their front yard and keeping opposing guards out the house (paint area). We also continue to struggle on the boards. We give up way too many offensive rebounds. Needless to say, it's hard to get stops when you're allowing opposing teams 2 and 3 shots on single possessions. We can't always control our shots going in, but we can always control our energy and effort. Aside from a couple of guys, we don't play with any urgency on defense. It could be a case of knowing how good we are and thinking we don't need to play hard. Whatever the case, that's got to stop or it will come back to bite us in the butt.

Offensively, I'm not too worried about that side of the court. Biggest observation I have is I think there are times we can be a little more patient there. First available shot isn't always the best shot. I'm a big believer in good, better, best. It's ok to pass up a GOOD shot to look for a BETTER shot and ultimately take the BEST shot.

Overall, Coach L doesn't seem to be too worried on the sidelines, so I'm confident that he'll get us right. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Any time you walk away with a W, it's a good thing. No matter how you got it. A few concerns about this team and it's mostly on the defensive end. Our guards continue to die easily on screens. No fight whatsoever in trying to work thru them. Guards are also doing a poor job of defending their front yard and keeping opposing guards out the house (paint area). We also continue to struggle on the boards. We give up way too many offensive rebounds. Needless to say, it's hard to get stops when you're allowing opposing teams 2 and 3 shots on single possessions. We can't always control our shots going in, but we can always control our energy and effort. Aside from a couple of guys, we don't play with any urgency on defense. It could be a case of knowing how good we are and thinking we don't need to play hard. Whatever the case, that's got to stop or it will come back to bite us in the butt.

Offensively, I'm not too worried about that side of the court. Biggest observation I have is I think there are times we can be a little more patient there. First available shot isn't always the best shot. I'm a big believer in good, better, best. It's ok to pass up a GOOD shot to look for a BETTER shot and ultimately take the BEST shot.

Overall, Coach L doesn't seem to be too worried on the sidelines, so I'm confident that he'll get us right. GO CANES!!!
Defense at the rim was pretty good and we didn't foul much. But way too many open jumpers, again we were lucky ND couldn't hit the ocean from a boat today. They shot like 28% from the field.

Defense at the rim was pretty good and we didn't foul much. But way too many open jumpers, again we were lucky ND couldn't hit the ocean from a boat today. They shot like 28% from the field.
Make no mistake about it, Notre Dame is a bad team, Will be at or near the bottom of the ACC when it's all said and done. I trust my eyes. I don't rely too much on stats when going against bad competition. For example, I'm sure the stats will tell you we got multiple kills (3 consecutive stops on defense) in each half today, but I assure you it was more their doing (bad offense) than it was ours (good defense). If we're to compete for another Final 4 run it's going to take more energy and effort on D.

Make no mistake about it, Notre Dame is a bad team, Will be at or near the bottom of the ACC when it's all said and done. I trust my eyes. I don't rely too much on stats when going against bad competition. For example, I'm sure the stats will tell you we got multiple kills (3 consecutive stops on defense) in each half today, but I assure you it was more their doing (bad offense) than it was ours (good defense). If we're to compete for another Final 4 run it's going to take more energy and effort on D.
Agree.. But meanwhile a comparable GT team is up double digits on Duke in the second half, so yea I'll take the result today.

Agree.. But meanwhile a comparable GT team is up double digits on Duke in the second half, so yea I'll take the result today.
As I said in my initial post, "Any time you walk away with a W, it's a good thing. No matter how you got it." I'll take it a step further. Any time you get a W in any sport against the school from South Bend, it's a great thing. GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back