Trenches MIA VS. FLA

They had the literal worst defense in the SEC last year in YPP allowed by a mile and lost their best lineman. Did they add anyone noteworthy? I can’t imagine Miami won’t completely control the LOS when they’re on offense. They averaged giving up almost 5 yards a carry on the season. That’s absolutely abysmal.
Slackman from Penn but that’s about it. TBD if an Ivy DL can thrive with a significant step up in competition. He had very good offers though.

They still lost a ton of impact guys, particularly on the DL.

Advertisement
I’ll go with what the Playmaker Irvin quotes:

Stay FOCUSED in all phases of your game.

Let them spit on you , late hit you and do anything they want STAY FOCUSED.

they’ll have home field advantage plus the referees will be on the side with the hand on the flag trigger.

The only thing that’s on our side is US ,don’t BEAT YOURSELF or let referees dictate the game U do.

They had the literal worst defense in the SEC last year in YPP allowed by a mile and lost their best lineman. Did they add anyone noteworthy? I can’t imagine Miami won’t completely control the LOS when they’re on offense. They averaged giving up almost 5 yards a carry on the season. That’s absolutely abysmal.

Not just the worst defense. It was also the slowest FU defense I can recall in the last 20+ years. If we play a wide open style this could look similar to TAMU only better for us because FU has less athleticism/speed on defense than TAMU last season, and we've upgraded ours at most offensive positions.

Idk, if I was Billy I would, but obviously I'm not.

With Mertz, your Offense has a very low ceiling & there's just a lot of things he can't do & a lot of plays he can't make. When your QB is limited it effects the entire team & makes it a nearly impossible hurdle to overcome. Lagway has the talent & the upside to make them a viable Offense, he also actually fits a lot better in Napier's scheme than Mertz.

This ain’t 20 years ago, TF QB's have been starting & having success for quite some time now, it's not out of the cards. But, if Billy wants to go 5-7/6-6 again, then yeah keep Mertz in there, ****, I sure as **** will be happy to see him on 8/31 lol

I don’t think he has nearly the sack to start DJ in game 1 with a 37 year old Mertz coming back. What you said is 100% correct, but Billy is all talk with that scared money don’t make money ****. Mertz will start 8/31. Wouldn’t be surprised to see DJ have some snaps but imo Mertz for sure will be QB1 to start the year.

Here’s to hoping I’m right and we see Mertz out there Week 1.

Advertisement
I’ll go with what the Playmaker Irvin quotes:

Stay FOCUSED in all phases of your game.

Let them spit on you , late hit you and do anything they want STAY FOCUSED.

they’ll have home field advantage plus the referees will be on the side with the hand on the flag trigger.

The only thing that’s on our side is US ,don’t BEAT YOURSELF or let referees dictate the game U do.
Yep...

No turnovers, minimal penalties and kneel!!!

Donno had a podcast with his Gator counterpart earlier this week where they talked about the matchups. I came away feeling UF isn't any better than they were last season.

The guy was happy they were able to keep their best players from jumping ship, but it didn't sound like they upgraded beyond Lagaway who likely won't play unless the game is a blowout. He claimed their defense looked decent during the Spring game, but I fast forwarded through that and it was more that their offense looked anemic to me.

Gators will have no answer for our offense. And there is no way Mertz is keeping them in the game in a scoring match.

Mertz will want to get the ball out quickly.
We need to play effective press coverage.

First game of the year, anything can happen.
We all want a blowout, but I think it will be a close game for 3 quarters.

Advertisement
Don’t know your age but your post reminds me of a hundred years ago of Wayne Peace turds QB .
Would take snap pan 1-2 step as WR would fake fast couple steps the ball was already thrown and WR would step back for a catch it was there whole O strategy hoping for confusion.

First game of the year, anything can happen.
We all want a blowout, but I think it will be a close game for 3 quarters.

The worst game ever as a Miami fan was that Maryland game were Dorito refused to press and they dinked and dunked against us throwing WR screens the entire game while we made no adjustments. Guidry won't let that happen here.

Advertisement
Donno had a podcast with his Gator counterpart earlier this week where they talked about the matchups. I came away feeling UF isn't any better than they were last season.

The guy was happy they were able to keep their best players from jumping ship, but it didn't sound like they upgraded beyond Lagaway who likely won't play unless the game is a blowout. He claimed their defense looked decent during the Spring game, but I fast forwarded through that and it was more that their offense looked anemic to me.

Gators will have no answer for our offense. And there is no way Mertz is keeping them in the game in a scoring match.
OL was horrible last year and might not be much better this year. Mertz is a game manager and not a threat to go deep generally, lives on check downs. 20 TD's last season, 8.1 yards average per attempt. Had an excellent completion % (72.9) but fans complained about him "running out of bounds with the ball rather than trying to throw ... in order to protect his completion %). Miami has a better OL, better QB, and more quality depth at WR, RB and TE. Miami should put up points .... need the D to shut down the Gators running game and Mertz.

My only worry of a close game would be if it is a night game due to the crowd. I still say we win but it will be closer.

I hope we get the 3:30 PM timeslot, yes ik people want a night game especially those going to the game. But if we get a 3:30 PM game we will blow them out imo.

Look at Tennessee game last year they crumbled under the pressure at the swamp.

This is not only the biggest game Of Mario’s tenure but would also be his best win here by a country mile if we can get it done. I don’t care how bad UF is/was. Winning a road game In a bigtime environment is something this program hasn’t done since….? The trenches have to find a way… No matter how ugly just get it done because all **** breaks loose if not

Advertisement
IMG_6012.jpeg
I feel FLA has to try to get to the QB to win the game. The Canes have the luxyry of being able to win the game via the Run or the Pass. FLA has some size but they don't have elite pass rushers all over the DL. Their OL is huge but they will be tested all game with the Canes able to rotate. This game is played in the "Swamp" in August. It is going to be hot. If the Canes can make this a track meet it starts to come down to depth. I don't think that FLA is a team built to be in a shoot-out or play well from behind. If we get up 14 points early you might see players start to quit. Physically it is going to be an emotional and very hot game. Depth will matter, FLA has highly ranked CBs that were giving up a lot of yards last year. If Miami can get up early and lean on the run game to pound the Gators. On defense, the Canes need to get to the QB to protect our secondary and get their QB off schedule
👀
IMG_6011.jpeg

IMG_6012.jpeg

💁🏻‍♂️

Slackman from Penn but that’s about it. TBD if an Ivy DL can thrive with a significant step up in competition. He had very good offers though.

They still lost a ton of impact guys, particularly on the DL.

Slackman was injured when he transferred, which is why Miami and a lot of others suddenly lost interest.

He might turn out well, but The Gator is going to have to be patient with him.

Florida had nowhere else to go.

1714841501031.png

My only worry of a close game would be if it is a night game due to the crowd. I still say we win but it will be closer.

I hope we get the 3:30 PM timeslot, yes ik people want a night game especially those going to the game. But if we get a 3:30 PM game we will blow them out imo.

Look at Tennessee game last year they crumbled under the pressure at the swamp.
Tennessee always crumbles in the swamp. Other than UGA vs Clemson, we probably have the best game that weekend. Other teams playing include Texas A&M vs Notre Dame and Penn State vs. West Virginia. Still a decent change we get the 3:30 slot though

Advertisement
Back