Thomas Gore portal

Advertisement
Kinsler and McCoy are ones that I believe will be ready.

And don't ignore Cooper and Plazz.

Historically, OL development can take a bit longer.
If Samson isn't a starter this year I'd expect him to get an NIL reduction, and possibly leave. And if he isn't a starter next year he is definitely gone, which wouldn't matter much cause if he didn't win job in year 3, it's not like his 5star rating is worth anything.

Kinsler and McCoy should definitely be close to winning starting jobs next year.

I can see Cooper returning. Mauigoa I'd just leave at RT, but has ability to move to Guard. Thats the good thing about most of our guys, Most can all be tackles, so we pick the best two tackles, and put the other two at Guard.

Center is the position I can see us having to portaling in again. Unless a Plazz or Tripp steps up... Doubt Rodriguez is the answer, he's more an emergency backup center which is fine. Then again, it's not like 6'6" centers don't exist. Matt Lee and Frank Ragnow are 6'5". Joe Tippman was just drafted at 6'6'", ethan Pocic, Graham Glasglow were all at 6'6"... Obviously Bell has zero shot of playing there since he's 6'9", but like if Okunlola/Bell and Mauigoa won starting OT jobs, Cooper returned, I could see McCoy/Kinsler getting starting Center job...

Either Fight, Fvck or Forgive. Geez
@cway313 @TheOriginalCane
fighting-dogs-dogs.gif

/ Ignore is also a decent feature but less satisfying

Only thing this thread is missing is anyone acknowledging how stupid they sounded 5 months ago arguing against building through the portal. @TheOriginalCane I'll hand up and listen.
i remember all the talk of doing it the right way and clowning norvell and whomever else.

Now are chiming for us to bring in just a....QB, WR, RB, 2 DT'S, DE, cb, 2 safeties, trainer, security guard, accounts payable, etc

when we were telling em

If Samson isn't a starter this year I'd expect him to get an NIL reduction, and possibly leave. And if he isn't a starter next year he is definitely gone, which wouldn't matter much cause if he didn't win job in year 3, it's not like his 5star rating is worth anything.

Kinsler and McCoy should definitely be close to winning starting jobs next year.

I can see Cooper returning. Mauigoa I'd just leave at RT, but has ability to move to Guard. Thats the good thing about most of our guys, Most can all be tackles, so we pick the best two tackles, and put the other two at Guard.

Center is the position I can see us having to portaling in again. Unless a Plazz or Tripp steps up... Doubt Rodriguez is the answer, he's more an emergency backup center which is fine. Then again, it's not like 6'6" centers don't exist. Matt Lee and Frank Ragnow are 6'5". Joe Tippman was just drafted at 6'6'", ethan Pocic, Graham Glasglow were all at 6'6"... Obviously Bell has zero shot of playing there since he's 6'9", but like if Okunlola/Bell and Mauigoa won starting OT jobs, Cooper returned, I could see McCoy/Kinsler getting starting Center job...
That top part will be a fascinating development.

Totally agree OL development takes longer…but he’s being paid as if he’s a top tier OL (because he was as a prospect coming out).

Now you play the cost vs. production game, how much time do you give him to develop before the financial concerns begin to appear? He had to battle back from an injury which further complicated things.

That money could be freed up for other usage too…

Glad I’m not the one making these decisions, it’s a tough call and the timing is very important too. Don’t give him enough time to develop, he could blossom elsewhere. Stick with it too long and he never hits that next gear, and your investment deteriorates before your eyes.

Welcome to the new age of college football.

Advertisement

We shall see.

You are clearly omitting a name at C. If Nino can gain weight, we might have something. Smart and hard-working.

i remember all the talk of doing it the right way and clowning norvell and whomever else.

Now are chiming for us to bring in just a....QB, WR, RB, 2 DT'S, DE, cb, 2 safeties, trainer, security guard, accounts payable, etc

when we were telling em

Again, that is not building, it's patching.

It's a helluva lot of 1-year patching, but still.

And I don't think anyone ever said "don't bring in a QB, WR, RB, 2 DTs, CB", etc. Maybe RB. A lot of us thought we were good at RB before all the injuries.

when we were telling em
That's all I was looking for but everyone isn't built the same.

Advertisement

And I don't think anyone ever said "don't bring in a QB, WR, RB, 2 DTs, CB", etc. Maybe RB. A lot of us thought we were good at RB before all the injuries.
at some point if your Patching that much positions you done patched and built a whole house.

then its a bad eval and investment which goes back to the list of them - moss, Kelly, achaempong, Wayne, moss, pulliam, Riley.
I wouldn't say Kelly was a bad eval. He made plays, he was just injured. He was bad luck.

I wouldn't say Pullian was a bad eval. He was a who we thought he was, a 3* that was developing. He saw a stacked LB room (given this incoming class and who's lining up for the next class) and got impatient.

Wayne may or may not have been. We won't know until we see what he develops into. These kids develop at different rates, and he's only been here for a year. It seems as if there's a gap between where he is developmentally and what his "anticipated NIL package" should be.

I agree with Moss. He was such a miss we have to list him twice. ;)

LT - No replacement so worse
JHH - No replacement so worse
Deen = Cook (Maybe probably worse though)
Horton= Horton (if healthy and signs of life maybe better)
Moten=Moten
Lichenstein= A 300 bag of flour would be an upgrade
Gore= A 300 bag of flour would be an upgrade

Our top end has not gotten better on DT's, Our floor has gotten better. It still results in a mediocre unit.
LT is undrafted bruh that means he’s over rated by pro scouts. JHH replaceable

Deen cmon

Lich is cheeks
Gore cheeks

Like cmon fellas let’s speak facts not rating out of HS

Advertisement
at some point if your Patching that much positions you done patched and built a whole house.

You don't build a whole house with 1-year patches.

We're not "building" anything with Cam Ward, Damien Martinez, and Sam Brown. We're trying to win in 2024.

I'm in favor of winning in 2024, but at some point we are going to turn to Emory and Luke, Fletch and CJ, and JoJo and Ny.

Ok this was funny touché 😂

again, how is the room better? You listed names, where’s the production?

Why does the staff want 2 more DTs? For fun?

It ain’t depth, that’s for sure. Barrow isn’t coming for depth. Harmon wasn’t being pursued for depth.

They are telling you right to your face that the bodies in the room AIN’T GOOD ENOUGH…and they want TWO. Not one…
The season hasn't started yet. I fully expect to land at least one DT by first game. I'd say we are worse due to Taylor loss without an adequate replacement to fill the NT role. But the rest is better.

Also, Aren't you one of the ones that has been constantly saying Leonard Taylor was bad last year? lol. Those people want to say he was bad, but then also claim he is a major loss. Cause the reality is, the rest of the unit has improved for sure as of TODAY.

Moten and Horton didn't do anything last year. They'll be a year more developed now, and could be ready to really contribute. Hopefully Moten is at the least. I find it tough to say that those two compared to last year won't be at minimum the same or improved.

Clark + Cook is better than Deen + Gore + Campbell imo. Again yall are all saying Gore was bad, and Campbell was clearly worse. Maybe you argue Deen was slightly better than either Clark+Cook, but both of them combined are clearly going to contribute more than those 3 did last year combined.

Barrow will be better than JHH if we land him. I seriously think everyone has been overhyping JHH, and the meaningfulness of his loss tbh. And him going to SMU kinda proves that imo. Barrow would be a pretty big improvement I think. And I think there are other DTs who would be as good or better as well in case we don't land JHH.

And we have also gained two 5 star DT, and Artavius Jones who could all contribute some snaps asap. They may not be fully developed or studs as true freshman, but they can contribute some snaps, which we genuinely majorly needed last year due to health problems throughout our DLine. Also it's not like 5 star DTs never make an impact. You just don't wnat to have to rely on them. If they compete and win snaps, that is ideal for us

So, Depth is CLEARLY better than last season. Imo it's not even debatable. And not just back of the depth chart guys, guys that I expect to be high rotational players have improved imo. The big question is NT for me. Last year we had to rely on Taylor there. Will Clark hold up at NT? Will Moten step up for enough snaps at NT?

Last edited:

I honestly am a proponent of bringing in 2 transfer portals on both lines yearly regardless that are starting caliber. That would be my thing yearly if i was a recruiting coordinator. Older in the tooth guys that have started or made all conferences would be my targets.

Yea i thought we were good at rb as well.

Advertisement
We shall see.

You are clearly omitting a name at C. If Nino can gain weight, we might have something. Smart and hard-working.
No, I'd just expect the lowest Rated prospect currently on our OLine, to not be ready earlier than guys that have 2-3 years experience, especially as we are talking about an unit that requires experience+development generally. If he won the job next year I'd be shocked.
Not that I don't think he can be something eventually. But next year? No way in **** am I not portalling a guy to start at Center if it's looking like he's leading. JMO.

I honestly am a proponent of bringing in 2 transfer portals on both lines yearly regardless that are starting caliber. That would be my thing yearly if i was a recruiting coordinator. Older in the tooth guys that have started or made all conferences would be my targets.

Yea i thought we were good at rb as well.

You make a good point on OL/DL. High risk/high stress position that may give too much "blue-chip" emphasis to HS kids who are just bigger than everyone at age 17. Plus, lots of injuries to those guys.

He’s not the answer
By all accounts was the #1 player on our board and the staff had him as a future top overall pick in the NFL and we're about to portal over him for a LG

Alarming indicator of the staff's ability to evaluate. He has time left to get there but that gap seems insurmountable at this point in time.

Cooper was a good find and he had some 3 stars at Oregon that turned out to be NFL players. Mostly on the OL but a few DL and guys in the secondary. Colbie was a good under the radar find. Lots of missed 4 stars at Oregon and trend continuing here. 2022 class is very alarming - luckily we can fall back on it being a "transition class". 2023 class is fading quickly minus a few guys.

Not sure how anyone argues this right now.

Advertisement
Back