The Season is Over

As I said before, he allowed it early in the season when he should've nipped that **** in the butt. Easiest way to get a player's attention is through their playing time. Should've sat the *** and got his message across back early in the season. Could've definitely used it as an excuse to play the young guys more in those 20+ point blowouts. Coach L is. a great coach. Best to ever do it at Miami, but even he is not above reproach. Let's hope we can turn this thing around. GO CANES!!!
Who the **** was he getting to play? More Casey or Watson? Robinson? Maybe Nwoko but then you have Norchad on the bench. As soon as Casey and Watson showed they could not play competently at this level then you were scrambling with true freshman. George got minutes but really struggled early. Nwoko is coming along but it still a big time work in progress. Djobet is stealing minutes from Watson. Robinson is unplayable.

Advertisement
Unfortunately seems to be the same in both football and basketball. Have a few players that seem to care rest of team could care less.
Then you have to start flipping the roster. Roster flipping almost complete in football. When you have guess tweeting after the bowl loss like LT and Smith you know you have issues. I would imagine we have issues in practice that have not surfaced. I love the "Paul Harvey" from the coaches.

Who the **** was he getting to play? More Casey or Watson? Robinson? Maybe Nwoko but then you have Norchad on the bench. As soon as Casey and Watson showed they could not play competently at this level then you were scrambling with true freshman. George got minutes but really struggled early. Nwoko is coming along but it still a big time work in progress. Djobet is stealing minutes from Watson. Robinson is unplayable.
Play whoever the **** he recruited. Could've got away with doing it in those 40+ point blowouts vs the New Jersey schools, LIU, Stonehill, UNF, etc. Maybe, just maybe, by doing so he could've showed the knucklehead starters that he's willing to sit their asses if they weren't willing to buy in. Could've sacrificed a game or two for the greater good. Now he's got no choice but to stick it out with this bunch. Any options he had early on, are out the window now.

I'm not sure if its as simple as effort. We missed some open shots. Our supposed lead guards (Wooga, Pack) have pretty much stunk. Wooga is shooting 32% from the field over the last 6 games. Pack is shooting 31% in the last 6 games. Of course shooting 0% last night didn't help.

Cleveland is shooting 36% over the last 6 games.

I'm not sure why we've been so bad offensively besides to's.

Maybe it is Coach L not creating easier shots with his play calling.

Your last sentence is the answer. Without any ability to penetrate, we are simply getting no good looks.

Play whoever the **** he recruited. Could've got away with doing it in those 40+ point blowouts vs the New Jersey schools, LIU, Stonehill, UNF, etc. Maybe, just maybe, by doing so he could've showed the knucklehead starters that he's willing to sit their asses if they weren't willing to buy in. Could've sacrificed a game or two for the greater good. Now he's got no choice but to stick it out with this bunch. Any options he had early on, are out the window now.
You think Casey or Watson were going to get better? They weren't all that good against these teams. Djobet is playing hard and getting minutes but he is clearly not ready this year.

This team was ****ed as soon as Beverly and Walker departed. As pedestrian as both were last year at least they were serviceable. Casey and Watson are just awful. Some of it may be they are headed to the portal but they were portal casualties as soon as last season ended. Jim got them to stay.

Advertisement
Your last sentence is the answer. Without any ability to penetrate, we are simply getting no good looks.
You run us off the baseline which is what UVA does with their packline defense. Our ball screens have not been good of late. Too much dribbling and wasted time leads to unforced errors. Our kids also force penetration when it is not there. Our off ball movement was awful last night. That is lack of effort.

You think Casey or Watson were going to get better? They weren't all that good against these teams. Djobet is playing hard and getting minutes but he is clearly not ready this year.

This team was ****ed as soon as Beverly and Walker departed. As pedestrian as both were last year at least they were serviceable. Casey and Watson are just awful. Some of it may be they are headed to the portal but they were portal casualties as soon as last season ended. Jim got them to stay.
I hear ya, but at the end of the day the man in charge is the one responsible for this team. Wasn't like this team was inherited from another staff. He put the team together. He recruited them. He's coached most of them for a year or two now.

Not at all saying Casey or Watson were going to be better, but who knows what they would've done with more playing time. It's possible they could've gotten better. Possible that they wouldn't have. All I know is Coach L should've sent a message when he had the chance and sat the players who weren't buying in. Should've nipped that in the butt when he had the chance. Pretty clear to me that Djobet is one guy who could've helped early on. He is not doing anything now he wasn't doing in high school. Has always been an effort & energy guy who rebounds well for his position and is crafty on offense. I'll give you Beverly, but Walker wasn't very good in his 4 years here except for his sophomore year. He averaged less than 3ppg last year. What makes you think he could've helped us this year? Not sure if you're away, but Casey made a position switch. He went from being a hybrid forward (who plays the 3 and 4) to a post guy (who plays the 4 and 5 spots). By no means am I making excuses for his shortcomings but it is what it is.

To go back to my initial post in this thread, plenty of blame to go around for everyone associated with this squad. From players to the coaches. February 10 is all I need to see to know where we're at. Sold out. At home. On national TV. Mother****ers need to stop sulking and get their **** together. Enough! GO CANES!!!

I hear ya, but at the end of the day the man in charge is the one responsible for this team. Wasn't like this team was inherited from another staff. He put the team together. He recruited them. He's coached most of them for a year or two now.

Not at all saying Casey or Watson were going to be better, but who knows what they would've done with more playing time. It's possible they could've gotten better. Possible that they wouldn't have. All I know is Coach L should've sent a message when he had the chance and sat the players who weren't buying in. Should've nipped that in the butt when he had the chance. Pretty clear to me that Djobet is one guy who could've helped early on. He is not doing anything now he wasn't doing in high school. Has always been an effort & energy guy who rebounds well for his position and is crafty on offense. I'll give you Beverly, but Walker wasn't very good in his 4 years here except for his sophomore year. He averaged less than 3ppg last year. What makes you think he could've helped us this year? Not sure if you're away, but Casey made a position switch. He went from being a hybrid forward (who plays the 3 and 4) to a post guy (who plays the 4 and 5 spots). By no means am I making excuses for his shortcomings but it is what it is.

To go back to my initial post in this thread, plenty of blame to go around for everyone associated with this squad. From players to the coaches. February 10 is all I need to see to know where we're at. Sold out. At home. On national TV. Mother****ers need to stop sulking and get their **** together. Enough! GO CANES!!!
Because he is helping IU. Walker is playing 15 minutes a night. He is scoring 6.0 with 3.0 rebounds with career highs of 48.7 from the field and 75.0 from the line. Yes, I know Casey moved. Regardless, where he is at he is a liability on the court.

You think we are winning without George on Saturday? I don't.

Yes, Jim and his staff constructed this roster, but if you asked any of the 3 I bet you they'd be shocked where the team is at after the 2-0 conference start.

Because he is helping IU. Walker is playing 15 minutes a night. He is scoring 6.0 with 3.0 rebounds with career highs of 48.7 from the field and 75.0 from the line. Yes, I know Casey moved. Regardless, where he is at he is a liability on the court.

You think we are winning without George on Saturday? I don't.

Yes, Jim and his staff constructed this roster, but if you asked any of the 3 I bet you they'd be shocked where the team is at after the 2-0 conference start.
I'll have to disagree on Walker. To me, his 4 years here trump what he's doing in IU. I'm gonna stick to thinking his 4 years with Coach L is more indicative of what we were gonna see in year 5 rather than going off his 1 year playing with Mike Woodson at IU. No wrong or right here. May have helped. May have not. But doubt he would've been much of a difference maker here. This team is lacking a lot more than an Anthony Walker.

I'm not gonna get too caught up in if we win on Saturday or not. I want to see an engaged team, playing together with energy and effort. No sulking. No bad body language. Want to see enthusiasm and fight. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
With teams raising there game playing us being a final four team last year, these type of routs will increase as teams are peaking towards tournament time and we are as good as it gets right now we’re maxed out .

Everyone left us , this should be no surprise, till the Queso Crème arrives then we’ll rise again.

GOCANES

I'll have to disagree on Walker. To me, his 4 years here trump what he's doing in IU. I'm gonna stick to thinking his 4 years with Coach L is more indicative of what we were gonna see in year 5 rather than going off his 1 year playing with Mike Woodson at IU. No wrong or right here. May have helped. May have not. But doubt he would've been much of a difference maker here. This team is lacking a lot more than an Anthony Walker.

I'm not gonna get too caught up in if we win on Saturday or not. I want to see an engaged team, playing together with energy and effort. No sulking. No bad body language. Want to see enthusiasm and fight. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

GO CANES!!!
Look I never thought he would give IU valuable time, but that being said Casey gives us nothing.

I agree and I've said this all year. This has to be an effort team. Right now it is not.

Advertisement
Look I never thought he would give IU valuable time, but that being said Casey gives us nothing.

I agree and I've said this all year. This has to be an effort team. Right now it is not.
Is it effort or a lack of discipline? Or are we trying to do things that this team isn't good at?

I'm not sure Coach L plays guys who give little to no effort. He's got too much respect to not be able to fix that issue.

I see guys trying, I see guys failing. Pack going 0-8 is not indicative of not trying. Something else is wrong.

Is it effort or a lack of discipline? Or are we trying to do things that this team isn't good at?

I'm not sure Coach L plays guys who give little to no effort. He's got too much respect to not be able to fix that issue.

I see guys trying, I see guys failing. Pack going 0-8 is not indicative of not trying. Something else is wrong.
Lapses on defense are primarily due to lack of effort. When we struggle on the boards it is definitely lack of effort. Poor ball screening is lack of effort. Discipline was been poor especially on offense especially shot selection and way too many turnovers, many unforced with lazy passing.

Lapses on defense are primarily due to lack of effort. When we struggle on the boards it is definitely lack of effort. Poor ball screening is lack of effort. Discipline was been poor especially on offense especially shot selection and way too many turnovers, many unforced with lazy passing.
In the words of Eric Spoelstra, "this team needs to be more intentional on defense". Thats true. The TO's hurt. But none of that explains why 3 of our starters are shooting below 37% over the last 6 games. At the beginning of the season they were close to 45% which is solid if not good.

You can't win in any league shooting that badly.

Besides being on national TV when we played Virginia the announcer said that there were something like 11 NBA scouts present.

Every starter we have is auditioning for the NBA why wouldn't they give all the effort that they had that night.

Advertisement
Brad Brownell is a primarily man defense coach. Against FSU and UNC on road this year he played some zone, and it really seemed to throw off the FSU and UNC offense just enough. I think L went to a zone late against UVA, But game was already out of hand at that point and it was later in 2nd half.

With as bad as the defense has been this season, we need to mix in more zone just to give opposing offenses another look.

Our man defense is just not good enough. When we play teams with length and athleticism we should play little more zone.

In the words of Eric Spoelstra, "this team needs to be more intentional on defense". Thats true. The TO's hurt. But none of that explains why 3 of our starters are shooting below 37% over the last 6 games. At the beginning of the season they were close to 45% which is solid if not good.

You can't win in any league shooting that badly.

Besides being on national TV when we played Virginia the announcer said that there were something like 11 NBA scouts present.

Every starter we have is auditioning for the NBA why wouldn't they give all the effort that they had that night.
Except they said they were there to see George. Wooga is playing himself out of the draft. Joseph goes into long shooting draughts. He did last year in conference play. Pack's shooting cannot be explained other than maybe his ankle is really impacting how he practices.

Except they said they were there to see George. Wooga is playing himself out of the draft. Joseph goes into long shooting draughts. He did last year in conference play. Pack's shooting cannot be explained other than maybe his ankle is really impacting how he practices.
I don't think Wooga was ever a first round pick. It was hype like it was for TVD. It was based on certain things said by the media. And just like the hype sabotaged TVD, it appears to be doing the same to Wooga.

Advertisement
Back