The Bank (4/3)

View as article
The problem with Manny’s DE/Edge groups (as it was with most groups here) is it was TOP HEAVY. It’s kind of similar to what FSUs roster looks like tbh

2019: Rousseau and Garvin, but behind them?
- Trevon Hill, Scott Patchan
- True freshman Williams, Harvey, Blissett.

2020: Phillips and Roche, but behind them?
- Cam Williams, Blissett, Eli Roberts
- True freshman Quentin Williams, Chantz

Now compare it,
2024: Mesidor and Bain, but behind them?
- Alston, Wayne, Kelly, Bryant
- True freshman Lightfoot, McConathy, Pickett, Blount, Rudolph

Advertisement
The problem with Manny’s DE/Edge groups (as it was with most groups here) is it was TOP HEAVY. It’s kind of similar to what FSUs roster looks like tbh

Now compare it,
Hindsight is 20/20 but most people liked the depth in 2020. Manny could not have forecasted Greg sitting out the season.

Now compare it,
Go one step further regarding the overall talent, here’s how the depth (backups) were ranked as prospects - *using transfer grades for portal*

2019 backups:
- 0 recruits inside top 150
- 1 recruit inside top 250

2020 backups: 6 total
- 1 recruit inside top 150
- 2 recruits inside top 250

Upcoming season
2024 backups: 9 total
- 4 recruits inside top 75
- 6 recruits inside top 100
- 7 recruits inside top 200

The future is bright on the D-Line. If Moten can elevate himself to be able to play the 0/1 Technique with maybe Clark/Horton taking some snaps we will be cooking. He looked good last spring so there's reason for hope. I can't see Gore and Campbell getting snaps and they should be the ones leaving IMO. Really disliked the Russell take as he's a tweener to me and likely will be buried on the depth chart. If Scott and Jones ball out in fall camp then we are going to be tough to beat.

Hindsight is 20/20 but most people liked the depth in 2020. Manny could not have forecasted Greg sitting out the season.
True, Manny could not have known about Greg sitting out. What he could have done is build sufficient depth to help soften the blow of something like that happening or injury (far more likely). Proper roster management includes contingencies for worst case scenarios, but you have to play chess not checkers for that to happen. Guess what game Lispy was playin.

Advertisement
I would agree with that, but either way the overall depth wasn’t there. Phillips hadn’t played in over 2 years, he was a liability too. One injury shouldn’t make or break a unit. In years past a player like Mesidor going down would’ve crushed team, but now you have players like Bain coming off bench.. that’s how championships are won.

I think we'll have to see if Mesidor can stay healthy. He's for sure talented but comparing him to those three, he has big shoes to fill there.

Bain too but I think he will definitely be in that tier of the next Rousseau or Phillips as far as production in college and then being drafted in the 1st round.
Bain already in that group regarding production.
In 10 starts he had 12.5 TFL & 7.5 sacks. 2nd most pressures EVER by true freshman in PFF era.

In 10 starts Roche had 14.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks.

Mesidor gotta stay healthy but when he was (2022) he was right on pace with 10.5 TFLs & 7 sacks.

True, Manny could not have known about Greg sitting out. What he could have done is build sufficient depth to help soften the blow of something like that happening or injury (far more likely). Proper roster management includes contingencies for worst case scenarios, but you have to play chess not checkers for that to happen. Guess what game Lispy was playin.
I'm not here to defend Manny I just distinctly remember the fanbase me included being bullish on our edges going into the season. If Greg plays, I doubt we are discussing this.

I would agree with that, but either way the overall depth wasn’t there. Phillips hadn’t played in over 2 years, he was a liability too. One injury shouldn’t make or break a unit. In years past a player like Mesidor going down would’ve crushed team, but now you have players like Bain coming off bench.. that’s how championships are won.
You are attempting to forecast what we will have whilst revising history. Depth at DE was poor but that was the least of our issues that year. One injury in general, no, but if it's our best player than a significant drop off should be expected. We have better depth on paper but still mostly unproven.

Advertisement
I think without a doubt (depth wise) the OL & DL are in the best shape they’ve been in a decade.

Which is exactly what you’d expect from a Mario team.

Now safeties & corners? I’ll exit stage left

I think without a doubt (depth wise) the OL & DL are in the best shape they’ve been in a decade.

Which is exactly what you’d expect from a Mario team.

Now safeties & corners? I’ll exit stage left
I'd say all skill positions leave something to be desired. Maybe all those get answered this fall with who we have in the building.

You are attempting to forecast what we will have whilst revising history. Depth at DE was poor but that was the least of our issues that year. One injury in general, no, but if it's our best player than a significant drop off should be expected. We have better depth on paper but still mostly unproven.
You’re correct. But you could easily say Mesidor was our best DE (highest graded in ACC) heading into 2023 and he went down game 2. You know why we don’t talk about it? Because Bain was that dude. Manny didn’t sign enough of those players - and that might’ve been his best units lol wild when you think about it.

Also you’re right regarding “projecting” the unit to be better… lots of question marks (transfers, unproven etc.) but it’s a good problem to have. From here on out it should be a factory.

Oh Kelly isn’t playing? Wayne isn’t playing? So they leave, that’s fine Lightfoot and Blount replacing them. Well oiled machine.

You’re correct. But you could easily say Mesidor was our best DE (highest graded in ACC) heading into 2023 and he went down game 2. You know why we don’t talk about it? Because Bain was that dude. Manny didn’t sign enough of those players - and that might’ve been his best units lol wild when you think about it.

Also you’re right regarding “projecting” the unit to be better… lots of question marks (transfers, unproven etc.) but it’s a good problem to have. From here on out it should be a factory.

Oh Kelly isn’t playing? Wayne isn’t playing? So they leave, that’s fine Lightfoot and Blount replacing them. Well oiled machine.
Agree on all fronts but finding a TF All-American isn't easy. I don't want to take anything away from Bain, he a dog.

Advertisement
I'd say all skill positions leave something to be desired. Maybe all those get answered this fall with who we have in the building.
Like what we’re building at WR, JoJo the best WR recruit (to me) Miami has signed since AR. Funny enough I’d probably consider him the best CB recruit Miami has signed since Brandon Harris if he had decided to go that route. The kid is just special. Get me 2/3 more JoJos and it’s up.

The rankings is nice but is our “overall depth” really there now if we’re bringing in Romello Height for an OV this weekend? Even if it’s because a guy is transferring out we shouldn’t need him with 8 guys left ranked inside the top 200 if we’re making these “depth forecasts”

Advertisement
Agree on all fronts but finding a TF All-American isn't easy. I don't want to take anything away from Bain, he a dog.
It’s insanely hard, but realistically it’s just a numbers game. For every AA DE Bama has signed theres 3/4 other top 100 talents who don’t make it. You sign in bulk and let the rest find a second home if they ain’t it.

Now compare it,
Excellent research.

I actually think Pickett has a ceiling as high as anyone, just not sure what role he will play.
Pickett looked like he'd put on weight in those DJ Pickett pictures from last weekend. Get him up to even 235 and LOOK OUT!

The rankings is nice but is our “overall depth” really there now if we’re bringing in Romello Height for an OV this weekend? Even if it’s because a guy is transferring out we shouldn’t need him with 8 guys left ranked inside the top 200 if we’re making these “depth forecasts”
I wouldn’t look into it like that. Miami views these situations a lot like a salary cap.

My belief is one of the experienced (returning) DEs believes he’s underpaid OR Miami realizes they’re overpaying for his talents, so what do they do? Go find someone on a one year deal who understands what their role will be, save money in the process and potentially get more production than what they’re currently paying for.

Advertisement
Back