Rumor Stanford and Cal joining the ACC(?)

mik303

'99 Grad in San Antonio
Premium
Reports are popping up tonight on youtube. Cal and Stanford are joining the ACC. Seems bizarre, but we are in crazy times

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Nah get me the f^ck out of here before we become irrelevant for good.
I agree 100%. This is a bad move for the schools that want to get out of the ACC and they should vote to not accept Stanford and Cal unless a new shorter tv deal is done. Maybe a 3 year deal. Those schools are not going to add any more tv revenue and travel expenses just went up. I feel sorry for the athletes that have to travel cross country.

The best we could hope for is a new short term contract of say 3 years, but that won't happen either because the ACC commissioner isn't going to sign his own death sentence knowing at least 7 schools are going to bail when the contract ends.

This is a bad deal because it takes a majority of the schools voting to disband the conference. At present there are 7 who want to leave. So, only 1 more school is needed to get on board and we can move onto the B1G.

Adding Stanford and Cal will essentially block the other schools from leaving the ACC if they have full voting rights. Even if they come into the ACC without full voting rights, it will put a running clock on when they get them and a clock for the schools like Miami to find a way out before full rights kick in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Logistically, it doesn't make sense. Financially, it doesn't make sense at all.

The ACCs issue is that the length of our media contract is far too long and nobody (atleat nobody within the ACC) saw where the market was heading. Adding 2 schools that are across the country, and 2 schools that aren't known for their athletic achievements, does not increase the ACCs value or draw eyes to ACC games. Adding Standford and Cal would seem like a desperation move, imo.

I think the only way to 'save' the ACC would be for all schools to, at the same time, publicly seek a legal avenue out of the contract and hope the other side budges. Even then, I don't think the money would be on par with the big10 or sec

This is just getting weird now...Stanford and Cal in The ACC? Huh? So the Big Ten gets all the big boys and The ACC gets the leftovers and I guess they think that’s going to impress/convince Clemson, FSU, and Miami. It definitely isn’t moving the needle on any media rights deals for the future. Also, the one thing that nobody seems to be talking about with all this realignment stuff is the logistical and traveling nightmare for teams, fans, etc. Try convincing Miami fans to travel all the way to the other side of the country to watch them play Cal. How about Oregon fans traveling all the way across country to watch them play Rutgers. I think we’re going to see home games become even MORE home friendly now because fans simply won’t be able to make the trip. One of the reasons we had regionally exclusive conferences was to make it easier, less expensive, and less troublesome for everyone. I just think this is going to be a disaster, and some people involved with college football have been bringing this up, but not enough.

Advertisement
Reports are popping up tonight on youtube. Cal and Stanford are joining the ACC. Seems bizarre, but we are in crazy times

20221217_154500.gif

Advertisement
Back