Senior Night vs BC

Has there ever been a team that has gone from the Final Four to last in their conference in one year?

Advertisement
Ok this is a horrendous take. You don’t luck into an Elite 8 and Final 4 run in two consecutive seasons.

Multiple things can be true - Larranaga is an incredible coach who absolutely screwed the pooch in every facet this year

The second sentence on is 100% right, but your posts are seriously bipolar.

Incredibly bad season and a lot to legitimately question…. But Miami had been to one Sweet 16 in the school’s history before L. Since L took the job in 2011 we have been to FOUR Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s and one Final Four.

Thats not 2 good years… thats a Sweet 16 appearance every 3.25 years.

I remember before L when the goal was just making the tournament every other year. Now people talk about firing or retiring the coach who has averaged making the second weekend nearly every 3 years.

It’s true the only constant is change and it’s also true that past success doesn’t guarantee future performance… but talk of retiring L is really absurd even while acknowledging that this year was a catastrophe.

Ok this is a horrendous take. You don’t luck into an Elite 8 and Final 4 run in two consecutive seasons.

Multiple things can be true - Larranaga is an incredible coach who absolutely screwed the pooch in every facet this year
Oh bull****. That is not what I meant.

He got lucky we stayed healthy in 21/22 and 22/23 because his squads were decimated with injuries the three prior seasons. You think we make a run if Omier missed any time in the tournament? Injuries bit us hard this year. It was a contributing factor amongst other issues.

Unlike you I don't want Jim to resign. I hope he makes the necessary changes and gets the support he needs to fix our issues via the portal. Let's have a serious discussion next year at this time.

Good lord what a horrible letdown of a season. That’s it, that’s my awesome contribution for the night.

Advertisement
I agree with you in general but pack/omier were already here and a part of the final 4 team that had 3 portal players in the starting 5... so outside of adding Cleveland, miami didnt really change the dynamic with a bunch of portal additions. I just think this group never meshed and was banged up all yr. Once they got behind the 8 ball they stopped caring. I knew Wong and Miller would be big losses but I didn't realize how BIG until things got tough for this team. Also the lack of depth and overall size which does fall on Coach L...
I hear you but I think that’s what I’m kind of alluding to. The guys that came back this year were not the core leaders on the team last year. They were great complements to take us to the next level. We didn’t know how they would be when the roles that were filled by Miller/Wong were to be filled by them this year. Now we do.

I told you guys weeks ago to stop watching and just tune in for the finale against FSU to see if they could salvage something.

The second sentence on is 100% right, but your posts are seriously bipolar.

Incredibly bad season and a lot to legitimately question…. But Miami had been to one Sweet 16 in the school’s history before L. Since L took the job in 2011 we have been to FOUR Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s and one Final Four.

Thats not 2 good years… thats a Sweet 16 appearance every 3.25 years.

I remember before L when the goal was just making the tournament every other year. Now people talk about firing or retiring the coach who has averaged making the second weekend nearly every 3 years.

It’s true the only constant is change and it’s also true that past success doesn’t guarantee future performance… but talk of retiring L is really absurd even while acknowledging that this year was a catastrophe.
A victim of his own success is what you're saying

Advertisement
“Because of our preseason expectation, being ranked nationally, being picked very high in the ACC preseason poll, it created a lot of expectation and I think our players actually just assumed that that would just come automatically,” Larranaga said.

I think that is was Jim that thought it would just come automatically.

He has been having great success over the past 4 years and probably started smelling himself. Even if the kids thought that, they certainly stopped thinking that months ago.

Hopefully Bethea and Swartz don't abandon us next year. Coach L has simply got to be better next year.

“Because of our preseason expectation, being ranked nationally, being picked very high in the ACC preseason poll, it created a lot of expectation and I think our players actually just assumed that that would just come automatically,” Larranaga said.

He has been having great success over the past 4 years and probably started smelling himself. Even if the kids thought that, they certainly stopped thinking that months ago.

Hopefully Bethea and Swartz don't abandon us next year. Coach L has simply got to be better next year.
Pretty sure they signed LOIs

Advertisement

Actually, he did not. He flagged it as a huge concern at the start of fall practice. He flat out said players were thinking more NBA than Miami.

He knew he had a problem when 8 guys in end of season interviews said they wanted to portal out. We lost 4 of them. And that does not include Miller and Wong who were declaring, although at the time it was not a 100% with Wong.

We are likely to lose 6 guys on the current roster. I think Watson and Casey are 100% gone. Robinson is likely. Omier will declare. If not in the NBA, he will make a lot of money in Europe. Pack could go and play overseas. I think Wooga returns. Cleveland who knows? If you portal once you could portal again. I think Benz stays. With George, who knows? He definitely could use another year. But if he gets a high enough evaluation he may bolt. Nwoko and Djobet should return.

I see a lot of movement, but also a lot of opportunity, too.

Advertisement

The Kentucky game burst our bubble and the Colorado debacle exposed us as frauds this season..

Pack was 0-5 (0-4 from three) when went out. Not like he was contributing. He's right about nobody emerging as our "go to" guy.
Also a bit of a tell that they'll be after someone like that in the portal. He didn't throw anyone under the bus by name, and perhaps the hope was that it would happen in the aggregate, but there is no one currently on the roster that can go get a bucket when the game is on the line.

Also a bit of a tell that they'll be after someone like that in the portal. He didn't throw anyone under the bus by name, and perhaps the hope was that it would happen in the aggregate, but there is no one currently on the roster that can go get a bucket when the game is on the line.
Think many thought our '"go to" guy would be Wooga. Didn't happen. The leader on offense has got to be able to penetrate to the hoop, handle the ball well and create his own outside shot (Wong could do all of those things well enough last season).

Advertisement
Back