Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL ok. 5 years is fine. extend him after if hes winning. 10 years for us is impossible to get out of if he doesnt win in those 5
I’m just saying bro..we are heading into year 3. Dude was brought here to fix a program top to bottom..starts with talent acquisition..especially given where we were along the LOS. Then implemented systems on both sides that work. I think it’s fair to say we are headed in the right direction on both fronts there…now it’s about will that proof of concept impact winning..historically, yes. But he has to do it..going into year 3 talking about a contract is premature to me..if he had kept Gattis and old man Steele on top of not stacking 2 top 10 classes…on top one not seeing players get better at key spots..we’d have something to talk about

Advertisement
I’m just saying bro..we are heading into year 3. Dude was brought here to fix a program top to bottom..starts with talent acquisition..especially given where we were along the LOS. Then implemented systems on both sides that work. I think it’s fair to say we are headed in the right direction on both fronts there…now it’s about will that proof of concept impact winning..historically, yes. But he has to do it..going into year 3 talking about a contract is premature to me..if he had kept Gattis and old man Steele on top of not stacking 2 top 10 classes…on top one not seeing players get better at key spots..we’d have something to talk about
he hired both of those coordinators. the recruiting is elite. the on field play is not. hes routinely out coached. he can't manage a clock or the game. the on field results suck and in todays CFB, you dont need 5-10 years to build a winner. you can do it in a shorter time frame. there's a team that was worse than us thats lost 2 games in 2 years with a new HC and has stacked b2b 11+ win seasons, but they do not have the top 10 recruiting classes. I forgot you can't win any other way. Manny won more games in his first 2 years than Mario has. thats a fact. thats a shtty fact too bc it shows how bad Mario has been as an on field coach.

he hired both of those coordinators. the recruiting is elite. the on field play is not. hes routinely out coached. he can't manage a clock or the game. the on field results suck and in todays CFB, you dont need 5-10 years to build a winner. you can do it in a shorter time frame. there's a team that was worse than us thats lost 2 games in 2 years with a new HC and has stacked b2b 11+ win seasons, but they do not have the top 10 recruiting classes. I forgot you can't win any other way. Manny won more games in his first 2 years than Mario has. thats a fact. thats a shtty fact too bc it shows how bad Mario has been as an on field coach.
Facts. However, I’m not sure why people are complaining.

Mario’s path to winning is predicated on elite recruiting, coupled with player development and coaching from his coordinators. That’s his formula and everyone (at least anybody who had paid attention to his career) knew that when he was hired. It’s unfair (slightly) to criticize him for being a mediocre (I’m being kind) game day coach. The best we can hope for is that Mario doesn’t cost us another game like GT. He’s never going to win us a game with his football IQ.

My issue isn’t with anything you said because it’s factually accurate and frustrating as a fan. It’s expecting that Mario would suddenly go against his DNA and become Lane Kiffin.

We got EXACTLY what we sought. We now have to live with it and hope his path to winning works.

Advertisement

Mario’s path to winning is predicated on elite recruiting, coupled with player development and coaching from his coordinators. That’s his formula and everyone (at least anybody who had paid attention to his career) knew that when he was hired. It’s unfair (slightly) to criticize him for being a mediocre (I’m being kind) game day coach. The best we can hope for is that Mario doesn’t cost us another game like GT. He’s never going to win us a game with his football IQ.

My issue isn’t with anything you said because it’s factually accurate and frustrating as a fan. It’s with expecting that Mario would suddenly go against his DNA and become Lane Kiffin.

We got EXACTLY what we sought. We now have to live with it and hope his path to winning works.
ive said the hope is he builds enough talent that sticks around past a year or two for the next guy to win or he lucks into an ELITE QB who overcomes a coaches weaknesses.

the issue though is if he doesnt double digits this year, that talent and recruiting will not continue or stick around bc eventually kids stop buying the vision youre selling. this is why i said the 10 years was too much. ****, fisher has a title and developed three straight first round picks at QB and still got canned for not winning at ATM and it cost them a fortune to do so and we do not have the moeny they do. 5 years at 40 mill is the same deal annually but it gives us and him an out after the initial 5 years. if he wins, you can extend easily to another 5 year and offer him a raise he would deserve in that sense.

My issue isn’t with anything you said because it’s factually accurate and frustrating as a fan. It’s with expecting that Mario would suddenly go against his DNA and become Lane Kiffin.

Thing is, it's been proven that this path to winning does work. UGA, Bama, Michigan. None of those teams are outscheming anyone. Tommy Rees and Mike Bobo aren't savant-level coordinators. They win because they've had 5+ years each bringing in the best players money can buy.

There is no excuse for Mario's game management. We should have been at minimum an 8 win team, even with no QB for the back half of the season and I agree that he needs to get out of his own way, at least on gamedays.

Honestly I hope we hire some more analysts on both sides of the ball and let Mario become Saban/Kirby. Let him rule the OL, dictate the culture and bring in top-3 classes every year. Find a way to win 10 in 2024 - or at least find a way to not lose 4.

Thing is, it's been proven that this path to winning does work. UGA, Bama, Michigan. None of those teams are outscheming anyone. Tommy Rees and Mike Bobo aren't savant-level coordinators. They win because they've had 5+ years each bringing in the best players money can buy.

There is no excuse for Mario's game management. We should have been at minimum an 8 win team, even with no QB for the back half of the season and I agree that he needs to get out of his own way, at least on gamedays.

Honestly I hope we hire some more analysts on both sides of the ball and let Mario become Saban/Kirby. Let him rule the OL, dictate the culture and bring in top-3 classes every year. Find a way to win 10 in 2024 - or at least find a way to not lose 4.
t they took a step back offensively without Monken. Bobo is a trash OC. Tommy Rees was heavily criticized by their fans since he got hired and remember he really wasnt their first choice at OC.

t they took a step back offensively without Monken. Bobo is a trash OC. Tommy Rees was heavily criticized by their fans since he got hired and remember he really wasnt their first choice at OC.
100% and you still need to hire the right people (See Cristobal, Mario circa 2022.) IMO the difference between 7 and 10 wins is recruiting. The difference between 10 and 13 wins is coaching (and luck.)

Advertisement

Respectfually I'll disagree wtih UGA, at least with what they did wtih Todd Monken the last few years. Can scheme with the best of them and a got the Raven's OC job this year for a reason.

You can build with free agents or through scouting and recruiting. Free agents is quick fix. Mario going long term. He’s got to fix the gaffes, but with his drive, there’s not much doubt he will.

100% and you still need to hire the right people (See Cristobal, Mario circa 2022.) IMO the difference between 7 and 10 wins is recruiting. The difference between 10 and 13 wins is coaching (and luck.)

I've always thought of it the other way around. You can win a bunch of games on most schedules (definitely in the ACC) off great coaching with okay talent. But when you come up against a truly talented team with even solid coaching, they are going to take that ***..

Respectfually I'll disagree wtih UGA, at least with what they did wtih Todd Monken the last few years. Can scheme with the best of them and a got the Raven's OC job this year for a reason.
Scheming and OC is very important in college. To me, the most important in the sense that you can compete with decent talent.

Very few teams are able to get the talent you need everywhere.

NFL example - Just look at my Eagles - talent everywhere on offense. Basically the same personnel and new OC who couldn’t scheme as good as the previous guy in Steichen (now head coach at Indy). That’s in the NFL where it’s harder than college.

• Agree
Reactions: DC3
Advertisement
Scheming and OC is very important in college. To me, the most important in the sense that you can compete with decent talent.

Very few teams are able to get the talent you need everywhere.

NFL example - Just look at my Eagles - talenteverywhere on offense. Basically the same personnel and new OC who couldn’t scheme as good as the previous guy in Steichen (now head coach at Indy). That’s in the NFL where it harder than college.

Look at my Bills, mainly playing 12 personel with Dorsey and made it seem like everything was forced on offense. Brady comes in makes some tweaks (more HB catches, more 3/4 WR sets), makes life easier for josh with more motions etc and all of a sudden the offense getting back to being great and 4 straight AFC EAST titles.

Look at my Bills, mainly playing 12 personel with Dorsey and made it seem like everything was forced on offense. Brady comes in makes some tweaks (more HB catches, more 3/4 WR sets), makes life easier for josh with more motions etc and all of a sudden the offense getting back to being great and 4 straight AFC EAST titles.
Dawson was allergic to the simple concept of motion and not to mentioned the Mario forced 12-13 personnel.

Dawson was allergic to the simple concept of motion and not to mentioned the Mario forced 12-13 personnel.

I pray that the Canes adopt some of what Mcdaniels does with Hill with that pre snap run with a guy like Ray Ray or Carr.

Advertisement
The UAlbany vs SDSU. FCS semi final game is on right now. His OL stinks. Kid has to make decisions in literally a split second. He scrambles and throws on the run

I don’t see the “weak arm” mentioned.

He does try to make a lot of throws into tight windows.
****, he better.... or die. Dem kniggas ain't blocking ****!

We shouldn’t have a problem with it at all. He was a Walter Payton Palyer of the year finalist. He might even walk into camp and prove we don’t need to add anybody else.
Man.... I sure hope you're right. I'm not gonna bash this kid, cause it ain't his fault, we called him. I would pick up the phone, too. But...Mario may be taking this imitation of UGA thing, a bit too **** far. Bruh is looking for his very own Stetson Bennett.

Absolutely fair. Monken is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back