RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

I pulled a Jay Z like retirement. Meaning i’m not really retired but people will mourn my retirement.

And for the record, I was speaking of a hypothetical FAR INTO THE FUTURE day when you would retire from the board and walk the earth. I was building on someone else's post about you "working the land".

Everyone calm down.

Advertisement
Counting a game where he had 1 carry against his YPG is foul as **** lol

Removing games in which they didn’t have 5 or more touches and these were his per game numbers vs P5 teams vs Damien.

Mark Walton: 20 games
- 5.0YPT, 82YPG, 0.65 TDs per game.

Damien Martinez: 17 games
- 5.9YPT, 103YPG, 0.76 TDs per game

Like I said - Some people can understand / acknowledge / accept it - some can't.

Example - here's Travis Homer's career rushing stats vs P5 with Martinez & Walton.

1713387334695.png

You can:

1) Just easily see & accept that:

- Martinez & Homer have similar numbers & both averaged 2 more ypc than Walton
- Using Homer also negates the "Miami had a bad OL" narrative
- With 9 more carries than Walton, Martinez gained 627 more yards. It's nowhere close.

OR:

2) Do what you did:

- Take out the 2 games where Walton was 5 for 14 yds & Martinez was 6 for 95 yds (is that not foul?)
- Add in their Receiving yds to get to a Yards Per Touch instead of YPC
- And Walton STILL is a full yard behind Martinez in YPT - and you think that helps your case?

Like I said - Some people can understand / acknowledge / accept it - some can't.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Example - here's Travis Homer's career rushing stats vs P5 with Martinez & Walton.

View attachment 287022

You can:

- With 9 more carries than Walton, Martinez gained 627 more yards. It's nowhere close.

OR:

2) Do what you did:

- Take out the 2 games where Walton was 5 for 14 yds & Martinez was 6 for 95 yds (is that not foul?)
- And Walton STILL is a full yard behind Martinez in YPT - and you think that helps your case?

Motion of Judgement in favor of @bshaw28 is hereby granted.

Seeing this I think less of Walton and Martinez and a whole lot more of Homer.

I wonder if we'll ever have a big time backfield again. Certainly had some great talents over the last 20+ terrible years.

Before he got hurt Tyrone Moss in 05 was the last time we had a back that could take over any game by himself. Some guys had good games here or there but no one you could lean on at any instant and absolutely get results.

I get that Miami and other schools have already been talking to him. And all schools will continue to talk to him while he's visiting the other campuses until he commits.

I get that Miami may already be the choice, and maybe he's using these other visits to drive up his NIL payday.

I'm just saying the on campus visit usually has the most influence on a recruit - and getting him after he's traveled cross-country to 4 different schools/states in 7 days before getting to Miami means he might be exhausted/kind of over it by the time he gets here.

But it's a small factor - it's all about Mario's ability as a salesman. And canceling the Tenn visit is already a good sign.

I think that you might be overstating the "exhaustion" factor and not giving enough weight to other factors.

I'm simply saying that he already knows most of the deal with Miami. Would it behoove him to actually see the campus, etc? Sure.

If the "bag collection" posters are right, than all prior visits are for money. And if you look at the list of schools he IS visiting, there is nothing really "special" about any of those campuses that would be so much better than what he will see at Miami. Not being fall football season means "no taking the gameday crowds into effect".

But given the tight timeframe, I highly doubt this kid will be taking any visits to schools where he doesn't ALREADY have a good idea of what they have to offer (be it NIL, PT, or any other factor). And given the fact that he doesn't have a year or two to build relationships with coaching staffs like a HS recruit has, I fully expect that this whirlwind week is going to be strictly business. Meet, greet, no trips to Dave & Busters in the G-Wagon, etc.

I'm not worried.

Advertisement
To answer your question I think less of Martinez not in a way I don't want him. I do.
1000000893.gif

While I love Homer and wish we had that kind of back; I always thought of him as a back-up level talent. I'm just surprised to see his production was similar to Martinez. It mellows the excitement is all. But there's still excitement.

Advertisement
Don't think Tennessee wants a RB. I think his agent put that out there without ironing out the details and schedule beforehand and getting official confirmation from the schools.

Mississippi State was one of the ones to reach out once they got wind he was going to enter but then they grabbed Amos. He's not going to end up at Mississippi State, he's not going to end up at Kentucky. Highly doubt Arizona has the money to fork out after they locked in Fifita and McMillan.

If that's the competition, it's in the bag. The only wrench that can be thrown into it is Michigan State. Big pocket boosters, a need at RB, and staff familiarity.
Penny Boone is being linked to Tennesse now

Advertisement
The lawyers had a tough time defending Walton. It’s easy for the rest of us.

You have an easy time defending Walton - but the problem is your defense is terrible.

I'd respect you if you said something like:

"Walton's stats against P5 & NFL teams were pretty bad, but I liked him, and he was a 4th Rd pick, so the NFL and a lot of other smart did to".

But you refuse to even acknowledge his stats.

Instead you make this "Zach Wilson was a 1st RD pick and started 33 games the last 3 years - therefore he's a talented QB" type argument. Is it a good argument? No. Is it all you got? Pretty much.

Again - The Mark Walton Paradox will always be this:

Do you have the ability to understand / acknowledge / accept the fact that Walton put up all his numbers against weak teams?

@DMoney - you've made it very clear you do not have that ability.

Last edited:

View attachment 287022

You can:

OR:

2) Do what you did:

Lol touche. Receiving yards should still be counted. 5YPT in 22 games ain’t as bad as you make it seem. You still didn’t acknowledge the OL discrepancy. Also didn’t add in that if Walton didn’t get hurt in 17 he was going for 1600 yards.

The injury vs Toledo screwed us. He wasn’t healthy vs Duke or FSU

Yes, receiving yards should always be added in. Yards are yards, it’s like not including Lamar Jackson’s rushing yards when giving his stats.

Advertisement
Back