Quick takes from Spring Game

You don't think the playbook narrowed against UVA and NC State? Even then we almost **** the bed against UVA. We lost in Raleigh because of Van Dyke period.
I think the playbook was different against GT. If you go back and look at those game threads or rewatch the games you'll see there was a definite narrowing of everything first. Tuff FYZICAL football seemed to be emphasized.

Not accusing you of anything but what you're doing is taking the blame and dumping it on TVD when it was apparent that the coaching was terrible. It was literally to not play to our strengths. Maybe TVD is limited but Mario decided to play to his limitations. It's what he does with quarterbacks.

Advertisement
I think the playbook was different against GT. If you go back and look at those game threads or rewatch the games you'll see there was a definite narrowing of everything first. Tuff FYZICAL football seemed to be emphasized.

Not accusing you of anything but what you're doing is taking the blame and dumping it on TVD when it was apparent that the coaching was terrible. It was literally to not play to our strengths. Maybe TVD is limited but Mario decided to play to his limitations. It's what he does with quarterbacks.
It was raining cats and dogs for a lot of the game. We were up 10-0. Then bam, interception. Touchdown Georgia Tech. Then next series, bam, another interception. Field goal Georgia Tech.

Then we are throwing the ball well in the first half against UNC. UNC comes out and scores and goes up 21-17. Van Dyke is throwing well in first series and then we fumble. We force a punt. First play Van Dyke throws another horrible interception and puts them on a short field. UNC now up 28-17. Completely changed the complexion of the game.

Coaching staff hardly gets a pass, but my lord, the quarterback play was just pathetic.

We will see soon enough what Dawson will do with Ward.

Last edited:
It was raining cats and dogs for a lot of the game. We were up 10-0. Then bam, interception. Touchdown Georgia Tech. Then next series, bam, another interception. Field goal Georgia Tech.

Then we are throwing the ball well in the first half against UNC. UNC comes out and scores and goes up 21-17. Van Dyke is throwing well in first series and then we fumble. We force a punt. First play Van Dyke throws another horrible interception and puts them on a short field. UNC now up 28-17. Completely changed the complexion of the game.

Coaching staff hardly gets a pass, but my lord, the quarterback play was just pathetic.

We will see soon enough what Dawson will do with Ward.
For that pic against UNC it's still on the defense. That was a pathetic game for them. TVD (wasn't perfect) but was the only good thing we had.

Formations, personnel, ect were all different for games like GT and NCST. Games we are supposed to win. Mario has a thing where he either thinks "we will hide our film because we can beat these guys" or "now it's the time to establish FYZICAL football."

It would be a Mario move to hide the offense for the spring game like most coaches have done in the past. It just looked like our normal offense. Run up the middle, screen, and then X bails us out.

You're right, we will see. This could be the year that unifies the fan base on Mario. One way or the other.

For that pic against UNC it's still on the defense. That was a pathetic game for them. TVD (wasn't perfect) but was the only good thing we had.

Formations, personnel, ect were all different for games like GT and NCST. Games we are supposed to win. Mario has a thing where he either thinks "we will hide our film because we can beat these guys" or "now it's the time to establish FYZICAL football."

It would be a Mario move to hide the offense for the spring game like most coaches have done in the past. It just looked like our normal offense. Run up the middle, screen, and then X bails us out.

You're right, we will see. This could be the year that unifies the fan base on Mario. One way or the other.
Horton stretched the field on Saturday. We threw more crossing routes especially in the red zone. Williams strike to Carr was across the seam. I guess I saw a different scrimmage.

Advertisement
I think our Safety rotation looks a little different come fall.
Portal + some people think Paterson may work his way into the starting spot. (just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Some of the younger kids on this squad will be hard to keep off the field. They're gamers.

LB and DE room is what I'm least worried about. I think we're great there.
DT's leave a little to be desired IMO.
The young blue-chip kids can turn that room around.

WR room could use a true burner and/or a big bodied 50/50 ball guy. Although he's got the size, I'm not sure Horton is that type. (haven't seen it yet)
When we need plays like that, we probably will have to rely on our TE's.

The best natural RB on the team right now is a TE/H-back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CJ is a utility guy and has to be used a certain way. Honestly he may be the burner at WR that we're missing, because this run scheme doesn't fit his skill-set IMO. I'm not sure that they're open to a position change though. I hope it clicks for him, cause he's a great kid.

Starting the season without that burner on offense would be a disappointment, but getting CJ reps at WR is a great idea...

I think our Safety rotation looks a little different come fall.
Portal + some people think Paterson may work his way into the starting spot. (just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Some of the younger kids on this squad will be hard to keep off the field. They're gamers.

LB and DE room is what I'm least worried about. I think we're great there.
DT's leave a little to be desired IMO.
The young blue-chip kids can turn that room around.

WR room could use a true burner and/or a big bodied 50/50 ball guy. Although he's got the size, I'm not sure Horton is that type. (haven't seen it yet)
When we need plays like that, we probably will have to rely on our TE's.

The best natural RB on the team right now is a TE/H-back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CJ is a utility guy and has to be used a certain way. Honestly he may be the burner at WR that we're missing, because this run scheme doesn't fit his skill-set IMO. I'm not sure that they're open to a position change though. I hope it clicks for him, cause he's a great kid.
Offensively speaking, the mantra should be "What did we struggle with last season?" and above and beyond, it was zone coverage. If it was man, I'd be worried, but it's not that. Which comes down to more TE usage and I think Williams, Lofton and Arroyo are up for that task.

RB is worrying me for now, but, I'm sure Mario has that high on his list. CJ should be used as a matchup back in some packages in open space. With WR, it's weird. Sure, people advocate for that top dog, however, it's difficult when you consider the start Carr and Trader had so far. We may see them rotate in more than we think.

Overall, this team is good enough for 9-10 wins imo easily. It comes down to executing plays and preventing the mental errors we had last year. If we compare ourselves to Georgia and the likes, sure, we're trailing. However, when I compare us to some of the teams that won nine games last year, including Clemson and NC State, I don't see why we shouldn't belong in that category.

Offensively speaking, the mantra should be "What did we struggle with last season?" and above and beyond, it was zone coverage. If it was man, I'd be worried, but it's not that. Which comes down to more TE usage and I think Williams, Lofton and Arroyo are up for that task.

RB is worrying me for now, but, I'm sure Mario has that high on his list. CJ should be used as a matchup back in some packages in open space. With WR, it's weird. Sure, people advocate for that top dog, however, it's difficult when you consider the start Carr and Trader had so far. We may see them rotate in more than we think.

Overall, this team is good enough for 9-10 wins imo easily. It comes down to executing plays and preventing the mental errors we had last year. If we compare ourselves to Georgia and the likes, sure, we're trailing. However, when I compare us to some of the teams that won nine games last year, including Clemson and NC State, I don't see why we shouldn't belong in that category.
what's your take on the trenches? oline and dline?

Advertisement
what's your take on the trenches? oline and dline?
My take is that it doesn't matter. Spring Game doesn't offer full-pace, neither rushing nor blocking. There's less physicality and less drive. The main point is to not get hurt but still execute fundamentals.

If Matt Lee would have continued his performance from the Spring Game, lord have mercy, we would've been ****ed.

Advertisement
Back