Peter Ariz discusses standouts from Tuesday's practice

View as article
Just listen to Dawson talk about the TEs for the last like year or so

He absolutely wants to utilize them. Not absolving him but at some point TVD couldn’t even throw a screen pass and our health was rough at the spot

Cam gonna have these dudes eating this year
I want efficiency, idc which unit or player it comes from. If they throw the ball to George 15 times in a game and Arroyo is averaging one target, so be it.

The lack of TE talk will only become a trending topic if the WRs are blanketed and Dawson isn’t making adjustments to find another viable option.

Advertisement
I want efficiency, idc which unit or player it comes from. If they throw the ball to George 15 times in a game and Arroyo is averaging one target, so be it.

The lack of TE talk will only become a trending topic if the WRs are blanketed and Dawson isn’t making adjustments to find another viable option.
I mean it ties into when people were *****ing about Restrepo being targeted too much

It wasn’t X. It was just frustration at the lack of production by the offense so people were venting (mostly)

We lack a true number 1 receiver but with Cam out there it’s going to elevate everyone on the team. So I agree tough part I (speculate) with Riley last year was being targeted so little it’s hard to keep your head in the game at all times. So when he would drop a pass it just looked so much more glaring than it was

Our offense lacked the big play ability so every mess up was amplified 100x

If you watched Washington last year for example they constantly messed up on offense too, it was just they were threatening **** near on every play. So it’s all relative

If we are scoring 35-40 a game in ACC play no one is gonna give a **** how we get there

Advertisement
I mean it ties into when people were *****ing about Restrepo being targeted too much

It wasn’t X. It was just frustration at the lack of production by the offense so people were venting (mostly)

We lack a true number 1 receiver but with Cam out there it’s going to elevate everyone on the team. So I agree tough part I (speculate) with Riley last year was being targeted so little it’s hard to keep your head in the game at all times. So when he would drop a pass it just looked so much more glaring than it was

If you watched Washington last year for example they constantly messed up on offense too, it was just they were threatening **** near on every play. So it’s all relative

If we are scoring 35-40 a game in ACC play no one is gonna give a **** how we get there
We need to stay healthy. . . Cam and all of them really. We're due a healthy year, aren’t we?

Bingo. All facts.

I do want people to realize this isn’t Dawson’s MO though (It’s not Ward’s either). Which is why he’s a perfect fit for this scheme.

Here’s the leading TE for WSU last two years:
2022: 12 catches, 117 yards, 1 TD
2023: 21 catches, 251 yards, 1 TD

All TEs combined average per year with Ward?
24 catches, 255 yards & 1 TD.

You also have to factor in how much Cam threw the ball. He averaged just under 40 attempts per game. This means his TEs got a catch once every 20 passes attempted.

Based on averages, if canes threw the ball 40 times per game last season here’s the volume the TEs would’ve received: 20 catches, 174 yards, 1 TD.

Realistically, if the TE room has over 30 catches next season the WRs were very underwhelming.

Bingo. All facts.

I do want people to realize this isn’t Dawson’s MO though (It’s not Ward’s either). Which is why he’s a perfect fit for this scheme.

Here’s the leading TE for WSU last two years:
2022: 12 catches, 117 yards, 1 TD
2023: 21 catches, 251 yards, 1 TD

All TEs combined average per year with Ward?
24 catches, 255 yards & 1 TD.

You also have to factor in how much Cam threw the ball. He averaged just under 40 attempts per game. This means his TEs got a catch once every 20 passes attempted.

Based on averages, if canes threw the ball 40 times per game last season here’s the volume the TEs would’ve received: 20 catches, 174 yards, 1 TD.

Realistically, if the TE room has over 30 catches next season the WRs were very underwhelming.
Cam seems to do a nice job in the middle of the field which bodes well for guys like X or Carr, also the TEs. He has great field vision from what I’ve seen.

I’ll also just say on the most basic level possible if it was true that Dawson wasn’t planning on using these guys, then I don’t see why guys like Riley, Arroyo would stick around and why someone like Lofton would commit and never waver

Maybe that’s over simplifying it but I dunno. I see so much derailed analysis that doesn’t necessarily carry over year to year either. I think most good coaches are gonna adapt to their personnel at the college level with all the turnover

Advertisement
Cam seems to do a nice job in the middle of the field which bodes well for guys like X or Carr, also the TEs. He has great field vision from what I’ve seen.

I’ll also just say on the most basic level possible if it was true that Dawson wasn’t planning on using these guys, then I don’t see why guys like Riley, Arroyo would stick around and why someone like Lofton would commit and never waver

Maybe that’s over simplifying it but I dunno. I see so much derailed analysis that doesn’t necessarily carry over year to year either. I think most good coaches are gonna adapt to their personnel at the college level with all the turnover
I agree, which is why if the WRs struggle or there’s an injury bug at the position you could see an uptick in volume at TE.

I also think Mario & Mirabal play a bigger factor than most think. We all know the TE who gets the most snaps will be the TE who blocks the best, so if it’s McCormick then Dawson won’t be dialing up the certain pass plays while he’s in the game. Kind of handicaps the offense from that perspective.

I personally think it will be a mixture, I’ve watched a lot of film on Dawson going back 5 years, TEs were always an afterthought. What I would like to see is the group utilized in the RedZone. Riley is a mismatch, Arroyo is a mismatch. Forget overall targets, let them at least get 1/2 jump balls per game inside the 20.

The problem is..when fans get these reports that we apparently have freak shows at TE this year (including multiple reports saying Arroyo is an NFL level TE RIGHT NOW)...you cant fault fans for saying, "Ok..sooooo..are we going to use these studs in the offense or what?". All we have heard all Spring is our TE room will be the best in the conference. So giving fans those types of nuggets..will lead to expectations that they will have vital roles in the offense.

Cam Ward will end all of these discussions and redeem Dawson a bit. Arroyo was hurt, Riley was a true freshman, Skinner was for some reason deemed unplayable and McCormick is limited talent wise. But the biggest issue and what many want to ignore is that Dawson didn’t trust TVD to throw to the middle of the field, and we all saw why. TVD didn’t trust himself throwing to TEs in the middle of field either.

Advertisement
Cam Ward will end all of these discussions and redeem Dawson a bit. Arroyo was hurt, Riley was a true freshman, Skinner was for some reason deemed unplayable and McCormick is limited talent wise. But the biggest issue and what many want to ignore is that Dawson didn’t trust TVD to throw to the middle of the field, and we all saw why. TVD didn’t trust himself throwing to TEs in the middle of field either.
I might be in the minority but I think Dawson did one of the best jobs in CFB last year. It was clear after the GT game Dawson knew he would need to shelf most of the A&M type plays. Like you said, handicapped.

Improvement wise, did any OC in America do better in 2023?

2022 PPG: 23.6 (97th)
2022 YPG: 366.9 (86th)
2022 YPP: 5.3 (92nd)
2022 average offensive rank: 92nd

2023 PPG: 31.5 (39th) +58
2023 YPG: 431.2 (31st) +55
2023 YPP: 6.4 (24th) +68
2023 average offensive rank: 31st (+61)

Last edited:
If Lofton played for UM Hockey his nickname would be set. Hockey nicknames mandate you add either add an "ie", "ey, or "er" to the last name and you are done.

I think Loftie will turn heads this year.

Advertisement
Back