OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

Advertisement
No not lame duck but kids that have talent but a kid that has more is pushed to the side.

Chase Smith: from Palm Bay, 4*, former Safety, WR/OLB Legacy recruit. Dad played TE here.

Jacorey Hammet: 3* edge rusher from MNW

Again Player B is talented but tell me the logic of taking him over player A at OLB when he was a safety and has experience dropping in coverage plus ball skill. Similar bodies and frames and you could make an argument that Chase has the better frame just off bloodline. This is what I’m talking about.

CHASE SMITH is a kid i want in this class bad, bad his dc is pimping him to us as he played for Manny at Miss State.

That being said Jacorey Hammet is likely top 3 edge rushers in south florida....and is from our most notable pipeline school.

I want both ...it wasnt an either or thing i think they both play different positions.

Imma keep it a buck im taking a MNW or an STA stud over most kids that are marginably close.

This wasnt a good comparison @Zbrod95.

CHASE SMITH is a kid i want in this class bad, bad his dc is pimping him to us as he played for Manny at Miss State.

That being said Jacorey Hammet is likely top 3 edge rushers in south florida....and is from our most notable pipeline school.

I want both ...it wasnt an either or thing i think they both play different positions.

Imma keep it a buck im taking a MNW or an STA stud over most kids that are marginably close.

what do you mean lol? Smith ain’t going to come here because he took the last OLB spot. This wasn’t a comparison. Hammett is coming here over Smith.

this happens all the **** time and y’all scream “Pipeline”. How about not taking a lesser player that’s never been anything more than an edge rusher. Maybe then we could have some quality linebacker play. There was 3 backer spots. 2 of them went to Johnson and Hammett. The other is an inside Backer which is going to Hood or Fordham. They chose a kid who has never dropped into coverage or has the athleticism of Chase Smith and y’all are ok with it because “MNW bro”.

Last edited:
Quay Davis - 4 star WR from Dallas , TX Saw this kid committed tonight to USC. He's never been on campus. Has been recruited through phone contact, Zoom and facetime meetings and virtual visits. USC looking to regain traction in Texas again, too. HOpefully with Lashlee's offense and King this season we will be able to attract kids like this next cycle:

“I looked at each school that offered me and researched their offense to see how many receptions I could get,” said Davis. “I’m a smart receiver and I like reading coverages.

“So I looked up USC and they had receivers with 900-yards, 1,000-yards… ain’t no other schools doing that. They had multiple receivers with big numbers.

“In my mind, I’m going there to get 1,200-yards quick.”

Davis also researched USC wide receiver Michael Pitman Jr. this past season. With 101 receptions for 1,200-yards and 11 touchdowns, Davis is already sizing up what he could do in the Trojans offense.

“I was watching him in the draft, and don’t get me wrong, they’re underrating him,” said Davis. “But the way they moved him around, I could do even better.

“I can move into the slot, run double moves, play on the outside… I can do whatever the coaches need. And I can play corner, so I can make plays wherever.”

Davis, who is rated the nation's No. 31 wide receiver and the No. 174 player overall nationally by 247Sports, joins fellow Katy (Texas) four-star running back Brandon Campbell as a Lone Star State commitment for the Trojans. Davis is rated No. 105 overall nationally in the Industry Generated Composite Rankings

“We’re going to put on for Texas,” said Davis.

And to be clear, I’m all for signing sleepers with traits from out of state. I sent Braxton Berrios and Poona Ford to the staff, and was all over my contacts to offer James Pogorelc last year (he blew up and signed with Stanford).

But I can’t get behind an emotional argument to drastically change our recruiting philosophy just because some local blue-chips treated us the same way national blue-chips treat us.

You can’t be that dense can you??

It’s no longer Blue chip talent that’s doing the old hat toss that started on our decline in 2005...

Remember we lost a 3star/4star kid from a normal pipeline school at a position of need Corner to UC(fuggging)F

We aren’t held in the same light as you want to believe with your green and orange shades on... we need to find talent that can get us to the level we should be at.. WHEREVER that may be... to have some weird obsession about a certain percentage being from the “state of Miami” that became famous in your favorite Documentary is stupid.

Advertisement
what do you mean lol? Smith ain’t going to come here because he took the last OLB spot. This wasn’t a comparison. Hammett is coming here over Smith.

this happens all the **** time and y’all scream “Pipeline”. How about not taking a lesser player that’s never been anything more than an edge rusher. Maybe then we could have some quality linebacker play. There was 3 backer spots. 2 of them went to Johnson and Hammett. The other is an inside Backer which is going to Hood or Fordham. They chose a kid who has never dropped into coverage or has the athleticism of Chase Smith and y’all are ok with it because “MNW bro”.

Smith is a Striker here so there's a lot of whoofing about nothing.

The only hat toss on NSD this year was Romello Height.

What part of South Florida is he from?

I don't think he was talking about a literal hat toss. By the time signing day rolls around, most South Florida recruits have already decommited from UM (at least once, some two or three times).

Advertisement
Lol, well I just saw one of the mods on ITU say Smith is still a priority so?
I know, I asked it. They still haven’t given me a position but what way it’s described it seemed like LB so they must be taking 4

The only hat toss on NSD this year was Romello Height.

What part of South Florida is he from?

Alright who were some of the best players on offense last year?

DJ from Georgia
Brevin (until injured) from Nevada

**** your right hate to look outward for talent

Look I’m not trying to be rude but you and a few others absolute hard stance on spending MAYBE 20-30% of recruiting time/budget outside of Florida is absolutely astonishing

Talent lives outside Florida....
Talent can be recruited to come here..
The brand isn’t dead YET... we can get some good players if we at least poke around other parts of the country.... also I’m not saying half the roster will turn into OOS kids that’s impossible we aren’t Nebraska... but to not spend time at football factories in Texas, California, Georgia, and the Carolinas is idiotic... All NCAA football teams seem to have a coach or spend some time of resources in south Florida

Advertisement
Look I’m not trying to be rude but you and a few others absolute hard stance on spending MAYBE 20-30% of recruiting time/budget outside of Florida is absolutely astonishing

I’ve sent out-of-state three stars to the staff. One of them signed with us and had a great career. I know there is talent elsewhere.

What I won’t do is get emotional like a jilted girlfriend because big local recruits leave us. I prefer evidence.

The evidence suggests that our out-of-state recruits are more likely to be busts, on average. A more national approach isn’t fixing anything right now. Out-of-state studs will shun us even more than local studs, and we will struggle to evaluate the further away we get.

The only solution is to win.

I’ve sent out-of-state three stars to the staff. One of them signed with us and had a great career. I know there is talent elsewhere.

What I won’t do is get emotional like a jilted girlfriend because big local recruits leave us. I prefer evidence.

The evidence suggests that our out-of-state recruits are more likely to be busts, on average. A more national approach isn’t fixing anything right now. Out-of-state studs will shun us even more than local studs, and we will struggle to evaluate the further away we get.

The only solution is to win.

I agree. Winning is a must if we want to get back to signing blue chip recruits who in turn will help us return to sustained excellence.

But why do teams like Minnesota have sucesss recruiting Florida kids? Remember that LB we wanted two cycles ago? Chose to play in that cold *** state than Miami... times are changing kids realize they can be successful anywhere and the middle tier kids aren’t crapping their pants because Miami decided to offer them..

Some of the best players to every play for the U or even in recent years came from out of state

Advertisement
I agree. Winning is a must if we want to get back to signing blue chip recruits who in turn will help us return to sustained excellence.

But why do teams like Minnesota have sucesss recruiting Florida kids? Remember that LB we wanted two cycles ago? Chose to play in that cold *** state than Miami... times are changing kids realize they can be successful anywhere and the middle tier kids aren’t crapping their pants because Miami decided to offer them..

Some of the best players to every play for the U or even in recent years came from out of state

Times arent changing....we are NOW a middle tier program.

Miami coaching staff recruits like were a playoff team...add to it we just have POOR recruiters. They have nothing of merit to show recruits for what they have done, hence Likens walking in and being able to sell on him getting 2 wrs drafted 1st round...Dugans just had his donk. Patke has nothing, Rumph nothing, Banda is a solid recruiter i guess he tries.

Hammett, Smith, and one of either T.Johnson or Hood?

Times arent changing....we are NOW a middle tier program.

Miami coaching staff recruits like were a playoff team...add to it we just have POOR recruiters. They have nothing of merit to show recruits for what they have done, hence Likens walking in and being able to sell on him getting 2 wrs drafted 1st round...Dugans just had his donk. Patke has nothing, Rumph nothing, Banda is a solid recruiter i guess he tries.
Hence why we should not limit ourselves to certain areas... we need to expand the board nationally and find more kids with talent.

TCU... OSU... Baylor... Texas Tech... all have been digging at middle tier recruits and developing them into draft picks..

This obsession of a “state of Miami” team is idiotic.

Advertisement
Back