On the “win now” vs. “develop young players” debate

You could argue we've already had the 2nd best roster in the ACC for the past several years. The reason we need a talent advantage "by a large margin" is because we're not certain yet if Mario's recruiting/roster filling advantages can overcome his coaching deficiencies.

View attachment 287658
Quarterback play in 2022 and 2023 was absolutely horrendous. Garcia goes to Mizzou and was buried on the depth chart. Van Dyke is already disappointing at Wisky during spring ball. And then there is Brown.

Advertisement
Quarterback play in 2022 and 2023 was absolutely horrendous. Garcia goes to Mizzou and was buried on the depth chart. Van Dyke is already disappointing at Wisky during spring ball. And then there is Brown.
And now we have Ward, which is all the argument for the portal that I need right now.

The greater lesson that Mario and the staff need to learn is to find the qualities that we have in Ward this year and keep spreading them among the guys who are already on the roster, and look for those qualities in kids that we recruit. I know Ward's don't just grow on trees but we need to be continuously locked in on finding guys similar to him in skill set and mentality.

have you read up on Wisconsin ? That's not the case

Advertisement
Is the portal closing in 2025?

We need to have another Ward lined up wayyyyy earlier tho man. That game of chicken was too frickin close to a head on.

I’m not saying Poff and/or Williams can’t get there. But plan for the worst while hoping for the best.

Double digit wins. I’m sorry. That’s the bar. It’d be the bar for anyone else, so Mario shouldn’t get an accommodation.

He has Cam Ward. He’s had a lot of resources. He’s had some time.

It’s time.

And, I’m sitting over here deathly afraid of our Safety/Nickel situation. So, unless we find a corner who can help us play man coverage inside or a Safety who can do the same (because as far as I know Powell can’t be in two places at once and we have to pray for his health), Mario better be open to scoring a lot of points and pushing the pace.

Double digit wins. By any means necessary.

This.

Needs to get atleast 9 wins to buy back some goodwill. Don’t care what happens we will take a step back in 2025 without cam
9 regular season wins? Look at our schedule and find 3 losses! I'll point to Mario and find 2 more.

11-1, maybe 10-2 if it's close and I'll consider not flying a banner.

Advertisement
9 regular season wins? Look at our schedule and find 3 losses! I'll point to Mario and find 2 more.

11-1, maybe 10-2 if it's close and I'll consider not flying a banner.
We always pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Heck most teams do. We’re not the 2001 canes. This team has some weak points and we don’t have the coaching to overcome everything

We always pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Heck most teams do. We’re not the 2001 canes. This team has some weak points and we don’t have the coaching to overcome everything
You are very right. Very unfortunate for Mario

Just win. Don’t care how the roster is built. I’m tired of spending 20 years watching a ****** team every Saturday.

Struggling to beat Va Tech, Virginia and losing to ga tech. What phucking joke Miami has been for so long.

Buy everyone you can. If recruits get their feelings hurt I don’t care. Mario HAS to win this year or it gets really ugly in Miami!

Advertisement
Mario understands his own shortcomings, which is something that some of his predecessors didn't. He understands that he needs to have a top end roster to win at a high level, because he will never be a strong tactical coach. He also understands that when you come across a high end QB, you need to go all in.

Miami has plenty of outstanding young talent, but one needs quality depth, Miami needs to max out what they can get out of this one year with a great QB. Had Miami not signed Ward, I think Mario wouldn't have been as active in the portal, because he would have stuck to playing the young guys, filling in gaps as needed. Like pro sports, Mario sees a window opening and wants to take advantage of it.

Advertisement
Back