On Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne...

View as article
it’s not all on one group on why they lose each individual game but you can look at at it and see a pattern for most of the games even excluding outliers.
If Miami stops the run, they most likely win the game.

To get to where they ultimately want to be, Miami will need to stop throwing out DTs who are 280 on a good day to get important reps during games. Recruiting’s helping, but I don’t expect any of them to play major roles this year.
I’m not arguing that. It’s just that defending the run isn’t about just clogging up the A gap with some behemoth. While we were 11th against the run with our smaller DTs, Florida finished 79th against the run with 450 pound fat asses. Outside of short yardage most teams aren’t running iso. North Carolina didn’t put 200 yards rushing against us by running it up the middle 30 times. You ideally want some big guys for short yardage type of situations but if you look at the teams that are at the top of national rush defense rankings, it’s not a bunch of teams using 350 pound guys.

Advertisement
Quit hedging! Glad your opinion don't matter! See if you can do better!!
IMG_4294.gif

Burroughs was always a risk and wasn’t going to be playing in ‘24. Everyone wanted him. Roberts was spring camp filler and was never taken seriously. Again, it’s your BS narrative.

LOL talk about being disingenuous. When Robert’s was added he was sold as a versatile DB who would provide depth at multiple positions and be a big contributor on Special Teams. He sucked so bad we had to “upgrade” over him with Davis. Burroughs was brought in as a solution to our lackluster DT recruiting the previous 2 classes and was supposed to address our DT needs for 24. Guess what position we need to address in the portal for 24?

In any event, remove those 2 and you’re still at a 38% hit rate on your “Great portal class” but why stop there? Harrell apparently had too many injury concerns for not only Miami but everyone else until the day he miraculously recovered and was added to class. Campbell was a career backup at a bad G5 program, Gore isn’t tall enough to ride most rides at Disney and McCormick shows signs of dementia. Should we remove all of them too?? Don’t want to come off as disingenuous….

Advertisement

This is the scoop on Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne after discussions with numerous sources:

I've always been a Jared Harrison-Hunte fan and believe he's a good player. In my opinion, he was better than Leonard Taylor last year. He was also a very personable and sharp young man from my dealings with him. His departure seems to have come down to two factors.

First, Harrison-Hunte was one of Manny's first signees as head coach (Class of 2019) and flirted with the Portal several times since he's been here. It seems he never fully bought in to the culture. Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal. One DT is more likely, but two DTs are possible if it's the right two. Ahmad Moten is an internal name that's being counted on to step up.

To me, this move will be judged by what Miami does in the Portal. If the staff upgrades at DT, we are a better team. If they don't, we take a step back in a must-win season. Jared Harrison-Hunte was going to help us this year.

Wayne's situation is a little different. His development was slower than you'd like for a high-value, Top 100 recruit. He was never a pure rusher and, despite a good work ethic and good size/speed traits, it hasn't clicked for him yet. The fact that Cole McConathy started in the spring game and Marquise Lightfoot flashed so much is telling. That said, I think Wayne can be a good player with a smart transfer and continued development.

As we've been saying for weeks, I expect Miami to add a veteran DE who is an immediate upgrade at the position. The goal is to win right now.

To those who have been critical of development, I get it. IMO, the transfer-heavy nature of the defense is the result of subpar recruiting at DL and DB. These are things we all discussed in realtime. DL seems to have corrected with last year's haul, which was the best in the nation. We have a new defensive back coach. In the short-term, those positions are going to lean heavily on the Portal.
Harrison-Hunte is a big loss. I do think Moten will step up though.

Advertisement
The coaches believe they can upgrade in the portal, so let’s see it.

Four DEs from the first two classes washed out. Archeampong, Moss, Kelly, and now Wayne.

Maybe the coaches hit the jackpot in this incoming class, but do they want to rely on true freshman? Defensive line seem to be where young players need to grow into players.

Ruben Bain is an outlier, an exception.

Last edited:
Definitely need size in the trenches in football, but guidry schemes well vs the run. I worry more about guys outside of bain being able to win 1on1s and get pressures consistently in pass rush situations. And with alston and Mesidor instead of harvey and LT it should be better but we’ll see

Advertisement
I’m not arguing that. It’s just that defending the run isn’t about just clogging up the A gap with some behemoth. While we were 11th against the run with our smaller DTs, Florida finished 79th against the run with 450 pound fat asses. Outside of short yardage most teams aren’t running iso. North Carolina didn’t put 200 yards rushing against us by running it up the middle 30 times. You ideally want some big guys for short yardage type of situations but if you look at the teams that are at the top of national rush defense rankings, it’s not a bunch of teams using 350 pound guys.
Patriots had some of the worst run defenses I've ever seen playing Wilfork at NT in a classic 34.

I'm not saying size doesn't matter, but there's bigger factors than purely having size up front.

I got scoffed at by some of the board last year by saying we are going to get run over vs the good teams with how small our DT's were and was told by a few "we can scheme around that" "trust Guidry bro" crowd.

Can't teach size
Do you know where our rush defense was ranked last year????

Advertisement
so whats the excuse for kelly, achaempong, wayne, and moss? its not the manny kids.
on top of that, JHH was our best DT. hes a manny kid. LT was our second best DT. hes a manny kid. Kinchens was a 2 time AA safety. hes a manny kid. most of our best players were manny kids. i get the staff wants to blame culture for departures, but this is common in CFB now and we gotta stop blaming that. the truth is there isnt a lot of DTs out there and JHH knows he can get a huge deal as he instantly becomes one of the top DTs in the market. this is a loss.

so whats the excuse for kelly, achaempong, wayne, and moss? its not the manny kids.
Fully agree on your general point. Development by the staff is still a question mark.. but to put in context, Achaempong come here injured, Kelly is a not an NIL/playing time issue, Moss was a complete evaluation whiff he was John Sqaure from the start. Wayne? for me a head scratcher let's see where he ends up. They want to sell us Bryant and the Bama kid as Bain impact level players.

Fully agree on your general point. Development by the staff is still a question mark.. but to put in context, Achaempong come here injured, Kelly is a not an NIL/playing time issue, Moss was a complete evaluation whiff he was John Sqaure from the start. Wayne? for me a head scratcher let's see where he ends up. They want to sell us Bryant and the Bama kid as Bain impact level players.
bryant has barely played since hes been here. hopefully theyre right but apparently they misused him and finally moved him to his natural position. i dont trust freshman on the DL to be elite. Bain is literally a once in a generation kid. there will never be another bain type impact. DL and OL take time to develop so if you cant fund their NIL you used to get them here after 1 season, why even bother. just save the money for high end transfers since all youre doing is replacing them after a year anyways

Advertisement
Back