On Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne...

View as article
Advertisement
JHH was better than Leonard Taylor last year.

But like others have stated...they want to improve r upgrade size....YET.......... grab guys like Gore, Branson Deen, and now Marley Cook out of the portal.

Their actions dont compute to that.

JHH likely didnt fully get along with COach Joe, and likely was an Nil casualty of him trying to leverage them currently.

Wayne i get...if he isnt a ton above incoming freshman and at his likely price...you concede.

I personally dont currently see an upgrade to JHH in the portal....he likely becomes a hot commodity in there. Wayne i think we can add a guy with length we will be ok.
Respectfully disagree re: JHH vs Taylor. They asked Leonard Taylor to do a lot of things JHH can’t do. You’d never see Hunte lined up at zero or 1. That’s pretty much what they made Taylor do all year because they had a bunch of 280 lb guys at tackle.

Everything else is spot on.

Respectfully disagree re: JHH vs Taylor. They asked Leonard Taylor to do a lot of things JHH can’t do. You’d never see Hunte lined up at zero or 1. That’s pretty much what they made Taylor do all year because they had a bunch of 280 lb guys at tackle.

Everything else is spot on.
That and LT got a lil big.

I do agree LT showed and played more snaps in a role he never played before and was pretty dolid there.

Ask myself from last year why do we have so many tackles in that range last year.

"Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal."

This comment sort of insinuates he was pushed out. Why couldn't we upgrade the position and keep him? JHH was likely going to be the 2nd starter no matter who we bring in.

If need spots available, why not cut Gore? If what the staff is trying to do is upgrade in "size and ability"
Sounded to me like he wanted to continue to be paid like a Top 100 recruit/talent but he wasn’t producing or developing to warrant that pay.

So you approach him about restructuring his NIL based on what he’s accomplished so far. And he’s like, “no thanks, I’ll leave instead”. What’s the staff to do with that? Continue to pay someone based on high school accomplishments and projected contributions or restructure his NIL to reflect what he’s accomplished after 1-2 years in the program?

That and LT got a lil big.

I do agree LT showed and played more snaps in a role he never played before and was pretty dolid there.

Ask myself from last year why do we have so many tackles in that range last year.

I got scoffed at by some of the board last year by saying we are going to get run over vs the good teams with how small our DT's were and was told by a few "we can scheme around that" "trust Guidry bro" crowd.

Can't teach size

Advertisement

This is the scoop on Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne after discussions with numerous sources:

I've always been a Jared Harrison-Hunte fan and believe he's a good player. In my opinion, he was better than Leonard Taylor last year. He was also a very personable and sharp young man from my dealings with him. His departure seems to have come down to two factors.

First, Harrison-Hunte was one of Manny's first signees as head coach (Class of 2019) and flirted with the Portal several times since he's been here. It seems he never fully bought in to the culture. Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal. One DT is more likely, but two DTs are possible if it's the right two. Ahmad Moten is an internal name that's being counted on to step up.

To me, this move will be judged by what Miami does in the Portal. If the staff upgrades at DT, we are a better team. If they don't, we take a step back in a must-win season. Jared Harrison-Hunte was going to help us this year.

Wayne's situation is a little different. His development was slower than you'd like for a high-value, Top 100 recruit. He was never a pure rusher and, despite a good work ethic and good size/speed traits, it hasn't clicked for him yet. The fact that Cole McConathy started in the spring game and Marquise Lightfoot flashed so much is telling. That said, I think Wayne can be a good player with a smart transfer and continued development.

As we've been saying for weeks, I expect Miami to add a veteran DE who is an immediate upgrade at the position. The goal is to win right now.

To those who have been critical of development, I get it. IMO, the transfer-heavy nature of the defense is the result of subpar recruiting at DL and DB. These are things we all discussed in realtime. DL seems to have corrected with last year's haul, which was the best in the nation. We have a new defensive back coach. In the short-term, those positions are going to lean heavily on the Portal.
I like Mario's chances on making things right with the roster.

I got scoffed at by some of the board last year by saying we are going to get run over vs the good teams with how small our DT's were and was told by a few "we can scheme around that" "trust Guidry bro" crowd.

Can't teach size
Miami was 11th in the nation in rush defense. Only 3 teams ran for over 150 yards against them last year and one was the bowl game when we had 3 healthy defensive linemen. The only really bad rushing performance was North Carolina

Advertisement
Miami was 11th in the nation in rush defense. Only 3 teams ran for over 150 yards against them last year and one was the bowl game when we had 3 healthy defensive linemen. The only really bad rushing performance was North Carolina

5 games where teams average over 4 yards a carry vs Miami. Another where the other team was at 3.7. The record was 1-5 in those games.

let’s see how this shakes out but we lost 3 quality players in Kelly, JHH and Wayne. Personally Indint think our haul to replace these dudes will be that strong. We are taking about two starters on list teams and a possible third. But if we manage to get a better haul I will gladly eat crow. Just don’t see it

Advertisement
Send several different flavors. I love me some rocky road ice cream, but sometimes I like cookie dough or pistachio. Every once in a while I like eating a couple at the same time.

IMG_3644.gif

Been underwhelmed with Mario and the portal so far but you land Ward, Martinez, Brown, and a legit DT/DE and I’ll tell all the lies
I think he did a great job last year. Where is that OL without Cohen and Lee and Kiko was our best defensive player outside of Bain. All 3 were All Acc. Davis played well despite having to play out of position. Richards played some big snaps down the stretch. Where Mario has underwhelmed is at DL. Unfortunately Deen and Mesidor injuries added to that.

I think he did a great job last year. Where is that OL without Cohen and Lee and Kiko was our best defensive player outside of Bain. All 3 were All Acc. Davis played well despite having to play out of position. Richards played some big snaps down the stretch. Where Mario has underwhelmed is at DL. Unfortunately Deen and Mesidor injuries added to that.

Those 3 were huge hits. Cloyd and Deen were solid. The other 12 takes last year were garbage.

Advertisement
5 games where teams average over 4 yards a carry vs Miami. Another where the other team was at 3.7. The record was 1-5 in those games.
What is the average yards per carry in an NCAA FBS game? Hint: it’s around 4.5. Miami’s average on defense was 3.3.

That game where we gave up 3.7 and lost was against Georgia Tech. You’re going to pin that loss on run defense? One of the other losses you mentioned was NCState. You’re pinning that one, a game where we scored 6 points on our rush defense? North Carolina killed us. Louisville did a good job but hardly dominated on the ground. The bowl game was what it was. I don’t really consider that a true measure of our team.

Stopping the run was literally the thing Miami did best last year. Were they the 1985 Bears? No but they were better than 120 teams in FBS last year. Especially considering the defensive line injuries that he last few weeks of the season.

Those 3 were huge hits. Cloyd and Deen were solid. The other 12 takes last year were garbage.
Davis was garbage? Davis played great at nickel then had to play out of position because of injury and still played admirably. Richards played well down the stretch too. Harrell was a BS late add. Cam, Campbell and Gore are head scratchers. Devonte was not good. I’ll take 7 impact players. They can’t all be all stars.

Davis was garbage? Davis played great at nickel then had to play out of position because of injury and still played admirably. Richards played well down the stretch too. Harrell was a BS late add. Cam, Campbell and Gore are head scratchers. Devonte was not good. I’ll take 7 impact players. They can’t all be all stars.

I was being polite calling Davis garbage. Richard’s outside of a solid performance against FSU was nonexistent. There were 3 impact players in that portal class with Deen and Cloyd being solid out of 17 takes.

I was being polite calling Davis garbage. Richard’s outside of a solid performance against FSU was nonexistent. There were 3 impact players in that portal class with Deen and Cloyd being solid out of 17 takes.
Burroughs was always a ‘24 guy and worth the risk. Cristobal is not on scholarship. Terry Roberts transferred out immediately. Rocky Shelton wasn’t on scholarship. So if it makes You feel better to build this narrative by being disingenuous that’s fine.

Advertisement
Back