Off-season acquisitions?

Cane44

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Aside from coaching, how do we fix this roster from top to bottom? Do we need to wait until the draft and FR Class decisions, on who will make it to campus before hitting the portal, or do we hit the portal immediately regardless of what happens to incoming class? Unsure of timelines involved in portal and draft.

Are there any obvious portal targets at MDC, Nova, FIU, FAU, UCF, USF, JUCO, Local kids that went away and are tearing it up, etc... that would immediately improve this roster?

Do we think Raf is gone for sure? Are we legit looking for 3-4 starting pitchers? :oops:

Advertisement
Too early to tell who will be out there but they need to attack the portal especially the pitching staff. Ziehl and Rafe are most likely getting drafted. We really need 3 starters and a couple of bullpen arms.

Aside from coaching, how do we fix this roster from top to bottom? Do we need to wait until the draft and FR Class decisions, on who will make it to campus before hitting the portal, or do we hit the portal immediately regardless of what happens to incoming class? Unsure of timelines involved in portal and draft.

Are there any obvious portal targets at MDC, Nova, FIU, FAU, UCF, USF, JUCO, Local kids that went away and are tearing it up, etc... that would immediately improve this roster?

Do we think Raf is gone for sure? Are we legit looking for 3-4 starting pitchers? :oops:
The draft isn’t until mid July, so you have to get your portal work done well ahead of knowing what the incoming freshmen will do.

You’re likely going to need to replace the entire starting rotation, possibly the entire starting outfield (if Villegas is drafted and not necessarily through the portal). We’ve needed a portal catcher that you can plug in for the last two years.

That’s before finding out if you lose Cyr, Cuvet, Torres, Robert etc. The company line is currently that they’re all coming back next year and that we’ll be “really good.”

Last edited:
Jd and the staff are going to be fighting a multifront war. Like others but our losing season is going to make this staff have to work even harder.

-Signing the freshman (they have a ton committed…need a high hit rate on kids panning out. Not an easy task).
-Losing the Sr’s some expected Jrs and then a few surprises. My guess is a few are going to sting.
-hitting the portal for some studs because next year we actually will be very young.

Advertisement
Jd and the staff are going to be fighting a multifront war. Like others but our losing season is going to make this staff have to work even harder.

-Signing the freshman (they have a ton committed…need a high hit rate on kids panning out. Not an easy task).
-Losing the Sr’s some expected Jrs and then a few surprises. My guess is a few are going to sting.
-hitting the portal for some studs because next year we actually will be very young.
He might lose an assistant or two when they realize they hitched their wagons to a dud.

I want to point out here that "coaching" and talent acquisition are one and the same. Yes, we all see the stupid mistakes like in baserunning and taking bad angles. But getting elite players hides those kinds of problems. Jay Johnson isn't coaching differently this year. He just has worse players.

That ties right back into the Jim Morris decline. His staff wasn't "coaching" their way to Omaha all those years. We had elite elite players. Then the recruiting got lazy, as some of us pointed out at the time. Instead of getting great baseball players from any state we could find them, we started leaning on the local Perfect Game 9.5 players. And we know now what a scam the recruiting services are.

Essentially, Morris tailed off because of recruiting. Gino held serve as an average program because of recruiting. And JD is struggling because of recruiting. JD can be in Omaha if he fixes player acquisition, period.

I want to point out here that "coaching" and talent acquisition are one and the same. Yes, we all see the stupid mistakes like in baserunning and taking bad angles. But getting elite players hides those kinds of problems. Jay Johnson isn't coaching differently this year. He just has worse players.

That ties right back into the Jim Morris decline. His staff wasn't "coaching" their way to Omaha all those years. We had elite elite players. Then the recruiting got lazy, as some of us pointed out at the time. Instead of getting great baseball players from any state we could find them, we started leaning on the local Perfect Game 9.5 players. And we know now what a scam the recruiting services are.

Essentially, Morris tailed off because of recruiting. Gino held serve as an average program because of recruiting. And JD is struggling because of recruiting. JD can be in Omaha if he fixes player acquisition, period.
Very similar to Coker and the football program.

JD is really going to have his hands full the next few months. If he gets a year 2 he prob will get year 3. Because like I said next year we are likely going to be one of the youngest teams in the country.

Very similar to Coker and the football program.

JD is really going to have his hands full the next few months. If he gets a year 2 he prob will get year 3. Because like I said next year we are likely going to be one of the youngest teams in the country.
We don't have to be that young. Depends on JD working the portal. Link has only 3 guys in the batting line-up that carried over from last year (Tibbs, Smith, and Ference). The rest of the lineup are portal guys (and one frosh).

Advertisement
We don't have to be that young. Depends on JD working the portal. Link has only 3 guys in the batting line-up that carried over from last year (Tibbs, Smith, and Ference). The rest of the lineup are portal guys (and one frosh).
We don’t have to but we have A few young guys on this roster and then a massive freshman class. JD should use it to keep his job. This year was change, next year is the youth movement and a few transfers. Then year 3 is Omaha.

Not saying it’s going to happen. But that should be his “vision”

I wrote/asked specifically about players because you can go on every other thread and read about our coaching issues.

Other than Cuvet, Cyr, Torres , Villegas and Dorian who else of the position players are guaranteed to come back?
Carrier is not worth bringing back. Can't play a position.
Play Jimenez the rest of the season and see if he is brought back? Same thing with Kulikowski...like a tryout for next season.
Does Reyes comeback? Never got to play this season. Is Goyita an option as a backup Catcher?
Catcher, Outfielders, and SS are the top priorities for next season with freshmen and the portal guys.
We need to focus on big athletic players that we bring in. Dorian, Villegas, Gaby type looking players are not what we are looking for.
I see a huge turn over for the position players, expect 14-15 new position players.

The draft isn’t until mid July, so you have to get your portal work done well ahead of knowing what the incoming freshmen will do.

You’re likely going to need to replace the entire starting rotation, possibly the entire starting outfield (if Villegas is drafted and not necessarily through the portal). We’ve needed a portal catcher that you can plug in for the last two years.

That’s before finding out if you lose Cyr, Cuvet, Torres, Robert etc. The company line is currently that they’re all coming back next year and that we’ll be “really good.”
So the early word is that cyr cuvet and Torres will be back? If that core 3 come back that would be huge. Hopefully Jimenez takes that next step but man that pitching staff needs a total overhaul. Wonder if Dorian will run it back as a Sr...I've totally unplugged from baseball after their terrible stretch. Too hard to watch

Advertisement
So the early word is that cyr cuvet and Torres will be back? If that core 3 come back that would be huge. Hopefully Jimenez takes that next step but man that pitching staff needs a total overhaul. Wonder if Dorian will run it back as a Sr...I've totally unplugged from baseball after their terrible stretch. Too hard to watch
Take it with a huge grain of salt. I may have rolled my eyes at that one.

Hopefully not for Dorian’s (and possibly Villegas’) sake. Even when guys had extra COVID eligibility, they were signing when drafted after their third season.

Take it with a huge grain of salt. I may have rolled my eyes at that one.

Hopefully not for Dorian’s (and possibly Villegas’) sake. Even when guys had extra COVID eligibility, they were signing when drafted after their third season.
Seems like the only way we keep them all is if the Admin cleans house and brings in a new staff quickly in June, and/or the team plays surprisingly well this last month of ACC play.

Are the deep pocket boosters really going to throw good money after bad in the portal/NIL, if the team finishes well under .500?

I've accepted that JD is most probably coming back next season....he needs to tell Laz to start looking elsewhere for a position after the Pitt series.
He was not qualified for the position to begin with and now that the season has played out, he cannot be part of the program any longer.

Advertisement
I've accepted that JD is most probably coming back next season....he needs to tell Laz to start looking elsewhere for a position after the Pitt series.
He was not qualified for the position to begin with and now that the season has played out, he cannot be part of the program any longer.
While I agree, I doubt JD has it in him.

I've accepted that JD is most probably coming back next season
Sad Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Back