Nike deal

Advertisement
736FAF8E-9B7C-460E-A011-4E1B391C7F4E.jpeg

Take my money

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane

Talked to one of my boys, who’s daughter is a str8 baller; she’s already 5’10 entering her 9th grade yr. She’s attending a Nike branded high school, who just left Adidas 3 yrs ago. The coach told her of the AAU opportunities being an affiliated Nike HS, and NIL opportunities he’s seen from several students. He said the coach told them they switched b/c of branding + they were unhappy with shoe fits, along w/ inconsistency on deliveries.

Now, @Hurracanes will attest, there’s a certain highly touted b-ball recruit who’s right in our own backyard that we have ZERO shot at due to this young man being a Nike NIL athlete.

In regards to merchandise, not sure how often u fine folks have been to Miami’s Adidas site. B4 I get to the discrepancy of merch available between us, FSU & UF both on the official & Fanatics site, I wanna talk strictly about Miami x Adidas site:

There u will find 21 items (some t’s, zip ups, a couple of jerseys, etc.) The total items doesn’t truly bother me, but what does infuriate me is when u click on certain items that promote multiple colors available, there u will see those “multiple colors” are for other programs (i.e: Texas A&M, Washington Huskers, Nebraska, etc.) That’s bush league business! By comparison, I went to UCLA’s, SC’s, FSU’s, Tennessee’s, O$U’s, & Bama’s Nike direct sites. Not only do they dwarf us in availability in different fan gear, BUT NOT ONE OF THEM PROMOTE ANOTHER PROGRAM’S BRAND ON THEIR SITE.

On to merchandise; current between Adidas’ direct site & Fanatics, Miami has 113 items available. By comparison FSU (197) ; UF (261 Nike ; 167 JB).

Lastly, I’ve mentioned for a while perception is reality. So y would Miami want to go back to Nike besides financial? Well, it’s like why Tennessee, St John’s, SDSU who took less $$ to align themselves w/ the biggest brand: perception. So far during 2022-23, here are the NCAA D1 Nat’l Championship winning programs:

-Men’s Soccer: Nike (Syracuse)
-Women’s Soccer: Nike (UCLA)
-CFB: Nike (UGA)
-MCBB: Nike (UConn)
-WCBB: Nike (LSU)
-Softball: Nike (OU)
-Men Baseball: Nike (all 8 teams are Nike branded)
-Women Rowing: Nike (Stanford)
-Men Gymnastics: Nike (Stanford)
-Women Gymnastics: Nike (OU)
-Men LAX: UA (ND)
-Women LAX: UA (Northwestern)
-Men T&F: Nike (UF)
-Women T&F: Nike (UT)
-Men Golf: Nike (WF)
-Women Golf: Nike (Stanford)
-Women Tennis: Nike (UNC)
-Men Tennis: Nike (UVA)
-Men Hockey: N/A (Quinnipiac)
-Women’s Hockey: UA (Wisconsin)
-Women’s Diving: Nike (UVA)
-Women’s Swimming: Nike (UVA)
-Men’s Diving: UA (Cal)
-Women’s Volleyball: Nike (UT)
-Men’s Volleyball: Nike (UCLA)

% of branded NCAA Nat’l Championships:
Nike: 77%
UA: 19%
N/A: 4%
Adidas: 0%

P.S-Have patience; the switch won’t happen this yr, but intel is lining up that a switch is imminent in next couple of yrs. Remember the contract still runs until 06/30/2027.

@TheOriginalCane

Talked to one of my boys, who’s daughter is a str8 baller; she’s already 5’10 entering her 9th grade yr. She’s attending a Nike branded high school, who just left Adidas 3 yrs ago. The coach told her of the AAU opportunities being an affiliated Nike HS, and NIL opportunities he’s seen from several students. He said the coach told them they switched b/c of branding + they were unhappy with shoe fits, along w/ inconsistency on deliveries.

Now, @Hurracanes will attest, there’s a certain highly touted b-ball recruit who’s right in our own backyard that we have ZERO shot at due to this young man being a Nike NIL athlete.

In regards to merchandise, not sure how often u fine folks have been to Miami’s Adidas site. B4 I get to the discrepancy of merch available between us, FSU & UF both on the official & Fanatics site, I wanna talk strictly about Miami x Adidas site:

There u will find 21 items (some t’s, zip ups, a couple of jerseys, etc.) The total items doesn’t truly bother me, but what does infuriate me is when u click on certain items that promote multiple colors available, there u will see those “multiple colors” are for other programs (i.e: Texas A&M, Washington Huskers, Nebraska, etc.) That’s bush league business! By comparison, I went to UCLA’s, SC’s, FSU’s, Tennessee’s, O$U’s, & Bama’s Nike direct sites. Not only do they dwarf us in availability in different fan gear, BUT NOT ONE OF THEM PROMOTE ANOTHER PROGRAM’S BRAND ON THEIR SITE.

On to merchandise; current between Adidas’ direct site & Fanatics, Miami has 113 items available. By comparison FSU (197) ; UF (261 Nike ; 167 JB).

Lastly, I’ve mentioned for a while perception is reality. So y would Miami want to go back to Nike besides financial? Well, it’s like why Tennessee, St John’s, SDSU who took less $$ to align themselves w/ the biggest brand: perception. So far during 2022-23, here are the NCAA D1 Nat’l Championship winning programs:

P.S-Have patience; the switch won’t happen this yr, but intel is lining up that a switch is imminent in next couple of yrs. Remember the contract still runs until 06/30/2027.
@Rellyrell are you aware of any potential buyout clauses within the 4 years? Are there depreciating numbers involved with that?

I ask because I wonder in a year or two would it be worth it to cut our losses and pay them so we can bounce?

Apologies if you’ve answered that question elsewhere already?

@Rellyrell are you aware of any potential buyout clauses within the 4 years? Are there depreciating numbers involved with that?

I ask because I wonder in a year or two would it be worth it to cut our losses and pay them so we can bounce?

Apologies if you’ve answered that question elsewhere already?

From what I understand, and this info hasn’t changed: There could easily be a breach of contract motion since language in our contract guaranteed that we would be the highest paid ACC team which was broken 5 months into the deal we negotiated as UL became the highest paid ACC team by a country mile.

However, I think there is an early termination clause. I’ve seen in it in other Adidas’ contracts, but it’s usually in their favor. Lol. I haven’t had the privy of seeing all the exact language found in our contract, so I definitely don’t wanna be presumptuous & give u a Stone Cold “Ahhh **** yeah.” However, I believe @TheOriginalCane b/c of his connection may be better suited to answer that.

@TheOriginalCane

This was another Blake James disaster. Absolute clown who set the program back a decade. Terrible TV deal, coaching hires, apparel, etc. the list goes on and on.

Advertisement
From what I understand, and this info hasn’t changed: There could easily be a breach of contract motion since language in our contract guaranteed that we would be the highest paid ACC team which was broken 5 months into the deal we negotiated as UL became the highest paid ACC team by a country mile.

However, I think there is an early termination clause. I’ve seen in it in other Adidas’ contracts, but it’s usually in their favor. Lol. I haven’t had the privy of seeing all the exact language found in our contract, so I definitely don’t wanna be presumptuous & give u a Stone Cold “Ahhh **** yeah.” However, I believe @TheOriginalCane b/c of his connection may be better suited to answer that.

In short, I do not believe there is an "early termination clause" that gives us the right to exit early.

However, given the NUMBER of programs that have exited apparel deals early (particularly with Under Armour and adidas), I do not believe that the terms for a university "breaching" the contract are as onerous as, say, a "Grant of Rights" type contract.

Furthermore, as has been discussed NUMEROUS times, we believe there are multiple areas in which adidas has violated the spirit of the deal and could be construed as grounds on which to "relatively amicably" part ways. While I believe that UM could win in court, we all know that things like this frequently result in a settlement, not an actual trial. I'd expect Miami to pay a mill or two to exit early, and then recoup that cost via Nike/JB, because we all know the sales of that merch will skyrocket.

Again, I've made this point...even if you took the MAX money that adidas promises to pay...it is not anywhere near the cash we get from the ACC and/or TV deals. Now, I'm not trying to be dismissive of the merch money, but it could easily be "made up for" by fund-raising, which leads me to my final point - even if an apparel contract PAYS MIAMI NOTHING, it is worth it if (a) our fans actually WANT to buy and wear our merch, and (b) our recruits feel like they want to pick a Nike/JB school over an adidas/UA/other school.

People need to stop worrying about the "end date" of the adidas contract. If you REALLY think we are going to be wearing adidas until 2027, then bookmark this thread, stop posting, and come back here in 4 years to compare notes.

In short, I do not believe there is an "early termination clause" that gives us the right to exit early.

However, given the NUMBER of programs that have exited apparel deals early (particularly with Under Armour and adidas), I do not believe that the terms for a university "breaching" the contract are as onerous as, say, a "Grant of Rights" type contract.

Furthermore, as has been discussed NUMEROUS times, we believe there are multiple areas in which adidas has violated the spirit of the deal and could be construed as grounds on which to "relatively amicably" part ways. While I believe that UM could win in court, we all know that things like this frequently result in a settlement, not an actual trial. I'd expect Miami to pay a mill or two to exit early, and then recoup that cost via Nike/JB, because we all know the sales of that merch will skyrocket.

Again, I've made this point...even if you took the MAX money that adidas promises to pay...it is not anywhere near the cash we get from the ACC and/or TV deals. Now, I'm not trying to be dismissive of the merch money, but it could easily be "made up for" by fund-raising, which leads me to my final point - even if an apparel contract PAYS MIAMI NOTHING, it is worth it if (a) our fans actually WANT to buy and wear our merch, and (b) our recruits feel like they want to pick a Nike/JB school over an adidas/UA/other school.

People need to stop worrying about the "end date" of the adidas contract. If you REALLY think we are going to be wearing adidas until 2027, then bookmark this thread, stop posting, and come back here in 4 years to compare notes.

I’ll probably have to stop contributing to my 401k to afford all the Jordan - Miami gear I’ll buy every year

Good stuff. You had me at “in short”…😎

Advertisement
This was another Blake James disaster. Absolute clown who set the program back a decade. Terrible TV deal, coaching hires, apparel, etc. the list goes on and on.
every other ACC AD signed off on the tv deal. blame rad too. the rest was Blake for sure (tho the richt hiring was our best hire since butch and that includes Mario thus far)

every other ACC AD signed off on the tv deal. blame rad too. the rest was Blake for sure (tho the richt hiring was our best hire since butch and that includes Mario thus far)

You can't look at a vote by 14 members and say everyone is equally to blame. What would Dan have gained by being the sold holdout? Where would Clemson have gone with its one lone vote? We all know that Beta Blake would have sucked an entire bag of ***** to make the GOR last EVEN LONGER.

Which is why the current situation, where Dan has an ally in his protege at Clemson, is a lot better. And F$U's AD is "post-GOR" new. So that's a pretty good and powerful starting point with those three banding together to fight for sanity.

Advertisement
You can't look at a vote by 14 members and say everyone is equally to blame. What would Dan have gained by being the sold holdout? Where would Clemson have gone with its one lone vote? We all know that Beta Blake would have sucked an entire bag of ***** to make the GOR last EVEN LONGER.

Which is why the current situation, where Dan has an ally in his protege at Clemson, is a lot better. And F$U's AD is "post-GOR" new. So that's a pretty good and powerful starting point with those three banding together to fight for sanity.
ok so its only Blakes fault the ACC has a **** deal? I know hes the devil on this board and has done a ton wrong as an AD, but tv deal is on the conference and all of the ADs that initially signed off on it. dan has been a good AD but the entire conf ****ed up w the tv deal and now theyre trying to fix it.

TOC, do you see JB as a realistic option, with us being Nike's original flagship school? Win-win for us in any case as, to my understanding, JB schools also have fan merchandise with the nike swoosh as well. Nostalgia has me leaning towards nike and the limited roster of JB schools has me leaning to JB. Regardless, cannot wait to say goodbye to the three stripe life

... its pretty simple, if we move to the B10 or SEC nobody is going to give a single **** about spending an additional couple million to switch even if that is what it would cost - which is nbd.

Everyone here is ****ting on Adidas constantly but yall shouldn't be so happy UA/Adidas are exiting CFB deals. The competition is a major positive. We are going to exit our deal with Adidas and have absolutely zero options other than Nike and what will be a very subpar deal when they have nobody willing to even get close to out spend them...

I mean maybe Fanatics is going to be entering the competition?

... its pretty simple, if we move to the B10 or SEC nobody is going to give a single **** about spending an additional couple million to switch even if that is what it would cost - which is nbd.

Everyone here is ****ting on Adidas constantly but yall shouldn't be so happy UA/Adidas are exiting CFB deals. The competition is a major positive. We are going to exit our deal with Adidas and have absolutely zero options other than Nike and what will be a very subpar deal when they have nobody willing to even get close to out spend them...

I mean maybe Fanatics is going to be entering the competition?

Adidas is not exiting CFB deals. Lol. In fact, they’ll most likely be going hard after UCF in 2024.

Advertisement
Back