Nike deal

Can you describe how UM "needed money"? We joined the ACC, which gave us more money than we ever had, plus we came out ahead financially by moving from the Orange Bowl to Joe Robbie.

@Rellyrell has already explained how the adidas offer was just a bit more than Nike's, and with the Nike incentives, we COULD HAVE made more (we probably would not have, given how we have played since 2015). And Blake was busy slashing expenditures since he was hired. So where was the "money need"?

As for "take less money", where are you getting that from? I PERSONALLY said we should pay Nike to take us back. I PERSONALLY said we should offer Mario $10 million per year (and I said that months ago). If someone can't figure out that I'm being partially sarcastic to make a point, then I don't know how to help you. The problem with signing TWELVE YEAR DEALS for apparel or TWENTY YEAR DEALS for TV is that the market changes. The world changes. The only reason we got ANY more money from adidas is because we had to re-remember that we had a most favored nation clause. And unless we foresee adidas going out and signing some better schools (they won't), then we are locked into a set price for the next 5 years.

Look, I know how these things happen. When I interviewed at NASCAR in December of 2007, they had been a Pepsi company for 40 years. When I started working in January 2008, everything had changed to Coke. The family had a fatwa against Coke because the local bottler had snubbed them 40 years prior. And the only reason the Coke deal happened was because the family member that hated Coke the most...died.

Nobody knows what Nike is willing to pay, so let's stop negotiating against ourselves. Whether it takes 1 year or 5 years, I'm willing to bet that it will happen. And I hate betting.

Yeah, I’m not sure where this take less money from Nike narrative is coming from. I believe they r confusing the original offer w/ Adidas offer. The report was Adidas was offering us “significantly more money” than the original Nike offer. Yes, Adidas did offer more than both Nike & UA. Again, from my understanding, Nike was cautious, like any shrewd business partner, w/ how we handled the last decade, including keeping a coach who openly disrespected his boss by not returning calls, trying to back door his way to PSU, just to lay an egg in Nike’s brand new unis.

So, they offered us a deal w/ clauses. Blake wanted the highest bid, period. Nike said it couldn’t match what Adidas was offering, namely, not just the $$, but the language of “being the highest compensated school in the state, and the ACC.” That was the hook-line-and sinker. When u think about it, Adidas could offer that b/c

1. Who are the Adidas sponsored schools in Fla? FIU? USF?? So of course they would be the highest paid school in Fla. lol

2. UL, while a great partner, was doing nothing for their brand, and neither was NCSt

What Miami didn’t account for was UL getting in trouble w/ Adidas during a FBI probe & b/c UL had some basketball success, they couldn’t let that go.

But that has zero to do if we were to go back. All of that chit happened under Blake. I’m sure an AD w/ respect would garnish a much better deal in all capacity, one that wouldn’t handcuff us for 12 yrs.

Advertisement
So, they offered us a deal w/ clauses. Blake wanted the highest bid, period. Nike said it couldn’t match what Adidas was offering, namely, not just the $$, but the language of “being the highest compensated school in the state, and the ACC.” That was the hook-line-and sinker. When u think about it, Adidas could offer that b/c

Yeah, THAT ****e was NEVER going to fly, given Jordan-UNC...

So question if we do bring in that AD that has a good relationship with Adidas how does that effect Mario and Nike

So question if we do bring in that AD that has a good relationship with Adidas how does that effect Mario and Nike

Dude is definitely trying to stir things up.

I know how Alonzo feels. I know how Mario feels. I know how many people at UM not named "Blake James" feel. I may not know how Tom Jurich feels, but I don't think he will single-handedly put the kibosh on the NBC Nike deal if everyone else at UM wants it.

Plus there is the issue of the personal services/non-compete deals that Mario has. So, yeah, that may be a bigger deal than Jurich's feels.

Footballville can yap about Jurich's loving supportive mature relationship with adidas all he wants, but we've only got (worst-case) 5 years left on the adidas deal, and by that time it's very possible that Jurich is drawing Social Security and Alonzo is the one negotiating the new Nike deal.

Dude is definitely trying to stir things up.

I know how Alonzo feels. I know how Mario feels. I know how many people at UM not named "Blake James" feel. I may not know how Tom Jurich feels, but I don't think he will single-handedly put the kibosh on the NBC Nike deal if everyone else at UM wants it.

Plus there is the issue of the personal services/non-compete deals that Mario has. So, yeah, that may be a bigger deal than Jurich's feels.

Footballville can yap about Jurich's loving supportive mature relationship with adidas all he wants, but we've only got (worst-case) 5 years left on the adidas deal, and by that time it's very possible that Jurich is drawing Social Security and Alonzo is the one negotiating the new Nike deal.
Yeah I read that tweet and was like it sounds like a conflict of what we trynna accomplish with bringing Mario in

Advertisement
Jurich will go with Nike if that's what needs to be done. He's not some 3-stripe fanboy who wears his Ultraboosts to church every Sunday...

This, and again, UL has been w/ Adidas since forever.

Ppl r neglecting the fact that Adidas got UL hella caught up.

Here’s the timeline of events:

May 2017: FBI probe into Adidas’ exec Gatto, employee Merl Code, and an AAU team sponsored by Adidas was going to funnel $100k to secure a commitment from a top 5 star prospect in Bowen & have him rep Adidas when turning pro.

June 2017: Bowen commits to UL

July 2017: Code & an agent (undercover FBI) look to funnel the money to Bowen’s family via Adidas, and try to create a business invoice to hide it from a bribery standpoint.

Aug 2017: UL, already on probation (*** scandal), was advised that this situation had to be on hush mode for both parties.

Aug 2017: UL signs a 10 yr contract extension w/ Adidas

Sept 2017: FBI steps on to UL’s campus to conduct a full, thorough investigation w/ phone transcripts & first hand witness account from an undercover FBI agent.

That’s the timeline.

They wanted to make it right & Jurich took full advantage of it. Smart business move. Guess what? Adidas did the same chit w/ KU; why? B/c they got KU caught up & KU was going to jump ship b4 Adidas broke them off w/ an $196m contract for 14 yrs.

At the end of the day, both ADs got Adidas to bend over b/c they were caught on tap securing recruits. It had chit do w/ being “good business partners.” KU & UL r two of Adidas’ babies for basketball purposes. They have no other power team in CBB. Just look at the NCAAB top 25…21 of the 25 are either Nike or Jordan Brand Schools, 2 from UA, & 2 from Adidas, w/ KU being top 5.

Anyways, I digress. Footballville’s comment is less factual & more assumptive b/c of where Jurich comes from.

Advertisement
The fact that someone is saying with a straight face that Adidas, outfitter of some of the world's most iconic sports properties is "Second Rate" is a joke. When the centerpiece of an argument is "Perception is Reality", you know we are in Bizarro World.

Miami cannot take a deal like Alabama, because as we've seen time and time again, our fans will not spend the same kind of money on apparel as a school like Bama, even when times are good. Classic case study is our basketball program when L had it as a consistent Top 25 team, with legit national buzz. Guess what didn't happen? Miami fans did not buy Hoops merch, go back and look at the film of the people at the game, you had a bunch of people walking around in old Nike football gear, old Nike hoops gear from the early 2000s. I'm not joking. I was there to witness it and I still can't make it make sense. I've had those conversations with people in the industry, and they've said to a man "Despite being a national brand, Miami doesn't move merch like they should, and I think it's because the fanbase is pathetically cheap". Even when a school like Alabama is crap, people buy merch, they at least pretend to care. Miami has to be elite for our fans to even consider doing so.

It is silly for a program like Miami, with a small donor base and a fanbase that is amongst the cheapest in major collegiate athletics to take a backloaded deal, and leave money on the table. You know how poor people stay poor? By caring more about perception, than about cold, hard reality. Guess what? Miami is fighting a war out there, against better funded schools that can easily afford to take these garbage deals Nike tosses out, and Miami can't win that war by refusing much needed revenue.
We will totally outsell Bama if we are a top ten team.
We’ve been over this several times. It has taken Bama many years to be a national brand. We sniff a playoff and the ratings and merchandise will sell like crazy. That’s why we were the first cfb program to wear Nike.
When Nike went all in in soccer they went all in on one team right away: Brazil.
When they went into golf they went right in on one dude: Tiger.
Idgaf about who’s gear is better or looks nicer. That’s a personal style choice. But Nike is way more aggressive and goes harder after the best players and the best teams in any sport. How long did it take adidas to get into cfb after Nike was balls deep for years?

Adidas missed on MJ, Lebron and even shaq.
So yes adidas is a major sports brand but they aren’t Nike cause they’re just not as agressive or forward thinking at the biggest person they ever signed in the past several years wasn’t even an athlete it was a rapper who’s bat sht crazy.

We will totally outsell Bama if we are a top ten team.
We’ve been over this several times. It has taken Bama many years to be a national brand. We sniff a playoff and the ratings and merchandise will sell like crazy. That’s why we were the first cfb program to wear Nike.
When Nike went all in in soccer they went all in on one team right away: Brazil.
When they went into golf they went right in on one dude: Tiger.
Idgaf about who’s gear is better or looks nicer. That’s a personal style choice. But Nike is way more aggressive and goes harder after the best players and the best teams in any sport. How long did it take adidas to get into cfb after Nike was balls deep for years?

Addisas missed on MJ, Lebron and even shaq.
So yes adidas is a major sports brand but they aren’t Nike cause they’re just not as agressive or forward thinking at the biggest person they ever signed in the past several years wasn’t even an athlete it was a rapper who’s bat sht crazy.

Bro, it don’t matter. U can drop charts, graphs, polls, stats….it won’t matter.

The Adidas deal goes for another 6 or so years and unless Nike is backing up a Brinks truck to Miami(Which they aren't, they treated Miami as second class, even when things were going well from 2000-2004), there's no point in having the conversation. It's amazing how many of our fans jock Nike, when they did everything they could to ***** the University over. They gave us that final uniform template, which was complete trash in a contract year, and then tried to low ball the University, hoping that the school would be stupid enough to take it.
Fax!

This is a thread created by a person that does not understand business! Nike punked us, Adidas gave us lots of money and sponsored all of our teams!

When The U is back Adidas will pour even more money!

Advertisement
This is a thread created by a person that does not understand business! Nike punked us, Adidas gave us lots of money and sponsored all of our teams!

When The U is back Adidas will pour even more money!

I will try to keep things simple for you.

Mario is tied to Nike. If we are making a play at Mario that needs resolution since we are still an ADIDAS school.

It is not about any allegiance to an apparel brand.

I will try to keep things simple for you.

Mario is tied to Nike. If we are making a play at Mario that needs resolution since we are still an ADIDAS school.

It is not about any allegiance to an apparel brand.

Help me understand what it means when you say “Mario is tied to Nike.” I know he gets some cash from knight but that doesn’t preclude him from jumping ship to another non Nike school.

Help me understand what it means when you say “Mario is tied to Nike.” I know he gets some cash from knight but that doesn’t preclude him from jumping ship to another non Nike school.
He has a side contract with Nike aside from his Oregon contract funded by Knight.

Advertisement
He has a side contract with Nike aside from his Oregon contract funded by Knight.

Well, like I said, those contracts don’t preclude a coach for jumping to another school with another apparel.

Well, like I said, those contracts don’t preclude a coach for jumping to another school with another apparel.
True. And they also don't preclude potential conflicts of interest that need to be worked out first before jumping.

One of the major reasons Miami flipped to Adidas was the lack of priority Nike gave them. Maybe rightfully so.

There were times when Miami was with Nike that they’d have a ripped jersey from the week prior, they’d send it to Nike, and they wouldn’t have it fixed for the following week. Hense why Corn Elder wore a different jersey one game. (Pretty sure it was him)

I’m a huge Nike guy personally, always thought their gear was better when I was playing. Would never touch Under Armor or Adidas.

So yes Miami had an opportunity with Adidas but also because Nike wasn’t doing much for them. Obviously it would be interesting if Mario were to come, and that contract expires what happens with Nike. Personally I’d take Jordan Brand over any of them.

Advertisement
Back