Nike deal

Advertisement
24CE8F42-2738-4C56-9CD1-70B96E3675DA.jpeg

Are you are implying Miami would be traveling, this week, to Eugene and negotiating with Nike, without an Athletic Director, because other “multiple people” want out of our contract with Adidas (with 6-7 years left of the contract) if Mario wasn’t in the picture? If so, you’re out of your mind. They are there because of Mario.

Now, to your point, I wouldn’t be completely shocked if Miami took advantage on an opportunity to jump on MJ brand to get Mario but doubtful with so many years left of the Adidas contract. Plus, it’s bad business should Nike ***** us again, in the future, and we seek other brands to sign with. If it were a year or two left in the contract then that’s far more feasible. Time will tell. Frankly, I really don’t give a ****.

You "really don't give a ****e", but you fight in every post. Sure.

I didn't say "Miami" was traveling. Someone connected to Miami is. And I never guaranteed that anything specific would happen. But it might.

Not sure where you are getting "6-7 years left". Clearly, the 2021-2022 season is already done (football and basketball unis have been delivered and baseball are on the way), so there are FIVE years left on the 12 year deal. You act as if "getting out of a shoe deal" is so rare and impossible, but it has been happening with some frequency over the last decade.

Finally, as per usual, you try to win the argument by putting forth a wild supposition and then claiming that anyone who believes that must be "out of your mind". I'm not going to name names or lay out all of the evidence, but I assure you that the desire to go back to Nike is independent of the pursuit of Mario (though there are overlapping issues if we do pursue Mario). I'm not sure why you are obsessed with the absence of an AD, since all the people involved...are also involved with the hiring of a new AD...

And for the record, I never said we were "negotiating" with Nike. Just examining contracts in conjunction with other sets of eyes, looking for creative avenues to pursue, but not necessarily saying "we want $X over Y years". Some people don't understand the full meaning of "due diligence". Many times due diligence does not lead to the finalization of a deal.

And that's the ultimate point to make here, that if we DO honor the remaining 5 years on the adidas deal, some know-nothings are going to jump up and down and claim that is evidence that the possible Nike switch was just fake news.

But you don't really care, so you're not really going to fight over it.

Big fan of the 2014 Nike jerseys…just didn’t like some of the color combos we used that year. But the jerseys themselves? Absolutely shi* on anything adidas has given us since 2015, and it’s not even close. It’s evident by the quality and look of those jerseys.

Adidas fanboys don’t care tho…more crooked U’s, crooked nameplates, crooked C logos, crooked adidas logos, crooked ACC logos…doesn’t matter, they fronted us the most money, so let’s just look like clowns out there.

After reading the last 6 pages of this thread this morning, if all of this Miami in Oregon stuff is true, there's no way Mario wasn't distracted this week, which played a role in how poorly Oregon played last night. It doesn't make up for all of his bad losses from the past but would make last night much more explainable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Big fan of the 2014 Nike jerseys…just didn’t like some of the color combos we used that year. But the jerseys themselves? Absolutely shi* on anything adidas has given us since 2015, and it’s not even close. It’s evident by the quality and look of those jerseys.

Adidas fanboys don’t care tho…more crooked U’s, crooked nameplates, crooked C logos, crooked adidas logos, crooked ACC logos…doesn’t matter, they fronted us the most money, so let’s just look like clowns out there.

We are stuck in an endless loop. While I am a fan of the "traditional basic uniform" (since I enrolled at UM in 1986), I understand it when a lot of our fans want innovation, and to not merely be the SoFla version of Ped State/Michigan uniforms. Then we have some innovation that people love, particularly when we win championships in those unis. Finally, the innovation can go to far and be too unusual, particularly when we lose in those unis, and people equate that with being abused by our provider.

Bottom line, if we had won a national championship in the bra-straps, you'd have a significant chunk of our fanbase swearing that those are "classic uniforms". Personally, I've hated the bra-straps and The Clam from Day 1, but everyone has an opinion.

Look, because UM is in Miami, I think Nike got a bit too bold with trying out new designs and flashy colors. That's the nature of the beast. ****, when we switched from the shadow-box number jerseys in the late 90s to the "classic" jerseys that we wore in 2001, I wasn't an immediate fan. If I said that out loud, I'm sure a bunch of "2001 GOAT-boys" would try to excommunicate me.

If you want to say that I favor Nike over adidas, fine. But that doesn't make me a Nike "fanboy". It just makes me a UM alum who was grateful and loyal to Nike for two decades because UM and Nike created the VERY FIRST all-apparel university deal.

I think it’s funny that you shi* on Miami fans in every single post you make. “They’re the cheapest”, “worst fanbase in the country”…why bother being on a message board full of Miami fans if you can’t stand them?

You literally bitc* and complain in every single post you make about Miami fans lmaoooo.

What proof do you have, honestly, of over 90% of what you claim in all your posts? Show us proof that Miami fans are the cheapest. Because it is widely known that Miami apparel is seen and worn by fans across the country. Me, being an alumnus, I’ve seen Miami apparel worn in every state I’ve visited, as well as it being recognized overseas when I travel. Do Miami fans ALWAYS buy the latest gear? No…and neither do many other fans of big time football schools. Depends on what’s out there. I honestly see a VAST majority of Canes fans still wearing their Nike gear…because adidas fan apparel…say it with me kids…FUQQIN SUCKS. It’s all trashy, cheap looking, horrible fitting, tacky *** designs. I can guarantee you that most Miami fans, including alumni, feel this way.

Your degrading posts about Miami fans are both hilarious and wholly inaccurate. Find another message board if you just despise this fanbase that much where it bothers you enough to spew that BS in literally every ****** *** post you make.
You know why I crap on our fanbase? Because our fanbase is one of the worst in collegiate sports, bar none. Never mind the fact that our fanbase historically doesn't spend, barely shows up(Even when times are good) and the like, they also push for things that are **** near impossible(The consistent "Why don't we play on campus" threads are proof of that) A fair number of our fans love a **** shoe company, that treated my alma mater like crap more than the University itself. Only in this fanbase is it considered rational for Miami to take LESS MONEY, LESS APPAREL and LESS SUPPORT just to stick with a company that couldn't be bothered to even send jerseys that fit or in the right quantity. You talk about the manufacturing errors on Adidas uniforms? Nike had just as many, that is if you could even get your jerseys on time. Student athletes got shafted repeatedly by Nike over the last 2 decades of the deal. The swag bags that student-athletes get from Adidas crap all over Nike(Who barely sent stuff, so the concept of a swag bag was lost. You got a couple of shirts and shorts and left it at that). When you have student-athletes buying additional Miami merch on their own, that's a scathing indictment of the apparel manufacturer. Nike treated Miami as a second class entity, and Adidas doesn't.

No rational business leader would have stuck with Nike after what they offered(and their pathetic performance) compared to Adidas. I know that a lot of our fans(and there are alumni that are just as irrational, but they are significantly few and far between) think that Miami can afford to leave revenue on the table, just for appearances, but that isn't the case. Maybe, if Miami was like Alabama or Florida where the alumni base is significantly larger and the fans spent money that would be the case, but Miami has to find a way to maximize what comes in. Did Blake James do a good job of taking that money and applying it? No, and that's a huge reason why he is unemployed today. However, this is one of the few things he got right. If you don't like cold, hard reality staring you in the face, then smash that ignore button because I will call out our fanbase whenever they show their ***. This is one of those cases. If Nike wants to match what Adidas is doing, or exceed it, then we can talk. Until then, they can kick rocks. I will never accept my alma mater being pimped out at a discount. Phil Knight and Jordan have never done anything for me and my alma mater, so I'm not loyal to them. Never be loyal to those that won't return the favor.

Last edited:
Jordan would 100 % help with recruiting Tge people saying it’s a basketball brand just don’t get it. It would be a huge upgrade over adidas with kids.
It sure as **** hasn't hurt Katie and L(When he had the program rolling). It hasn't hurt Dimare. You get a competent coach here in football, and they would be able to recruit at an acceptable level. There are plenty of kids that aren't married to brands, that can play. Find them.

Advertisement
There are no “Adidas fan boys” - there are more Nike fan boys vs. others who did not like the perceived drop off in services/attention/product by Nike, and are wondering how that will change with a new deal, and why Miami would buy out Adidas with 6 years left on the deal, and if that was the case how we recoup that money and get the best possible deal for Miami vs. fans being able to wear their favorite brand.

Lots of good intel in this thread answering some of that.

Advertisement
Not sure where I read this or if it’s even true- Jordan brand only sponsors one school per conference

those were voted best new uniforms that year. I remember (at least in jersey) were saying those were fire af. I like these but understand people not liking the orange helmet. Other than that these shyts were to clean man, it looked so modern.
I'm a white guy from England that complains about the Blackburn Rovers kit being messed around with by Umbro (don't get me started).

I'm all for modern, but those Nike unis were bad imo. But I'm not the target audience, clearly. I just don't think the Adidas / Nike et al apparel provider wars are the hill I'm going to die on.

I'm a white guy from England that complains about the Blackburn Rovers kit being messed around with by Umbro (don't get me started).

I'm all for modern, but those Nike unis were bad imo. But I'm not the target audience, clearly. I just don't think the Adidas / Nike et al apparel provider wars are the hill I'm going to die on.
I'm always adapting with the times to some degree (not a purse wearer) but when it comes to uniforms I get it. I do like that UM broke tradition and isn't traditional so I like them switching it up. I like Nike I feel they build and make better quality things

Advertisement
Back