Nike deal

Joking obviously.

But there’s a lot of truth to it. Why would you spend $200 for shoes that actually cost $2 a pair to make in China? Sneakers are cheaply made plastic junk.

And yeah, they are for kids.

I wear actual SHOES. Made by hand, of leather and wood.

Shoes tell you a lot about a man.
Agree. Have a pair of Timberland boots I really enjoy to wear during this time of year. Wife has a pair of On Clouds for work and she enjoys them.

Advertisement
If this new admin manages to not only pull Mario away from Oregon but also manages to get us Nike swag at the same time there will be no one left to say that we the school ain’t stepping up and taking sht seriously.

Advertisement
A dumb *** on Cis - "Nike is the reason Oregon and Christobal recruit so good"

Me to said dumb *** - “Was Nike at Oregon pre cristobal? Then why didn’t they recruit at this high level“?

Golden, Richt, Shannon and even Manny all had one or two classes each that were top 10 or so.

Is Mario gonna recruit better than that? So top 5?

Problem is they would follow that up with a class ranked in the 40’s

Just give me a coach who can string together 3+ top 10 classes and who gets studs at every position. No ignoring certain positions like Manny with LB

Mario is a good recruiter but how good remains to be seen. This year’s class is garbage and completely negates all the good last years class does.

This is almost a total rebuild thanks to the garbage trash that is the 2022 class at present.

Miami played like dogsh!te for 10 years. That's a fact. Miami's merchandise sales had plummeted from what they were 10 years earlier. That's a fact. Miami's offer from Nike was sales/incentive laden and COULD HAVE resulted in a higher payout than the adidas deal IF WE HAD STARTED TO WIN GAMES AGAIN. That's a fact.

I don't know what business world you live in that requires a company to offer an exceedingly high contract to a partner that has underperformed for 10 years. But, sure.

The truth is, adidas made an offer based on what they HOPED Miami would become, which also has not come to pass. So let's not act like adidas is celebrating the Miami deal in every shareholder meeting.

There is an inherent and intangible value to maintaining a "first-ever-all-apparel-deal" relationship with the market leader. On a purely mathematical basis, Miami did not merit or deserve the dollar amounts in the adidas contract. We were being paid in order to steal away a high-profile Nike school, in the hopes we would return to having a top football and/or basketball team. If Miami had NOT signed the LONGEST EVER apparel/shoe deal with adidas, we would be up for renegotiation right about now, and neither Nike nor adidas would offer us what adidas offered us 7 years ago.

And I'm fine with that. Miami has ****e the bed for the better part of 17 years in a row. We SHOULD be getting paid less by our shoe/apparel company.

But, yeah, some dipsh!tes are going to argue that we should desperately hang onto an over-priced contract for the next 5 years, while ignoring the fact that we will be getting below-average bids in 5 years if we don't start winning immediately.

Not to mention that certain people are acting as if Nike forced all the weird designs and colorways on us. Funny thing, good ADs at Ped State and Michigan and Alabama and Clemson don't get pushed around by Nike, they don't get forced to wear bra-straps and off-colors. Both Eichorst and James were TERRIBLE ADs who didn't stand up for better uniforms. ****, as soon as we hired Richt, we were MYSTERIOUSLY able to ditch the weird crap that adidas was pushing on us.

Maybe the shoe companies are not to blame, and the weak-a$$ ADs are...
This man is spitting !!!! Preach brother preach ! Go back to Nike tell them we staying original (would like to keep a black jersey) and win some dam games man. Let everything else work itself out. When you win money comes in from all different sorts of angles

A dumb *** on Cis - "Nike is the reason Oregon and Christobal recruit so good"

Me to said dumb *** - “Was Nike at Oregon pre cristobal? Then why didn’t they recruit at this high level“?
I live in Cali. Small town, nowhere Eugene (with 300 days/yr of rain) is a very tough pull for any west coast athlete with options like USC, Cal, UCLA or Stanford. It only gets harder as you move further east.

What Mario has done at Oregon is nothing short of miraculous. No slight of hand with portal shortcuts, just hard fought, elite talent evaluation and recruiting. He would absolutely kill it at UM.

Golden, Richt, Shannon and even Manny all had one or two classes each that were top 10 or so.

Is Mario gonna recruit better than that? So top 5?

Problem is they would follow that up with a class ranked in the 40’s

Just give me a coach who can string together 3+ top 10 classes and who gets studs at every position. No ignoring certain positions like Manny with LB

Mario is a good recruiter but how good remains to be seen. This year’s class is garbage and completely negates all the good last years class does.

This is almost a total rebuild thanks to the garbage trash that is the 2022 class at present.
The occasional top ten class is Miami‘s issue, mixed with god awful coaching. We haven’t had consecutive top ten classes in forever. Whats the best class of late ? 11?

Under Mario we’ll likely stay in the top ten, with the occasional top 5-6. Which gets you to the table if the coaching is good.

Advertisement
I live in Cali. Small town, nowhere Eugene (with 300 days/yr of rain) is a very tough pull for any west coast athlete with options like USC, Cal, UCLA or Stanford. It only gets harder as you move further east.

What Mario has done at Oregon is nothing short of miraculous. No slight of hand with portal shortcuts, just hard fought, elite talent evaluation and recruiting. He would absolutely kill it at UM.
Yep and we have idiots here acting like Phil Knight is suddenly walking down the streets handing out Nike duffles. So Phil started caring when Mario arrived? Or maybe Mario is an actual beast recruiter. Beens that’s been his reputation since forever.

Miami played like dogsh!te for 10 years. That's a fact. Miami's merchandise sales had plummeted from what they were 10 years earlier. That's a fact. Miami's offer from Nike was sales/incentive laden and COULD HAVE resulted in a higher payout than the adidas deal IF WE HAD STARTED TO WIN GAMES AGAIN. That's a fact.

I don't know what business world you live in that requires a company to offer an exceedingly high contract to a partner that has underperformed for 10 years. But, sure.

The truth is, adidas made an offer based on what they HOPED Miami would become, which also has not come to pass. So let's not act like adidas is celebrating the Miami deal in every shareholder meeting.

There is an inherent and intangible value to maintaining a "first-ever-all-apparel-deal" relationship with the market leader. On a purely mathematical basis, Miami did not merit or deserve the dollar amounts in the adidas contract. We were being paid in order to steal away a high-profile Nike school, in the hopes we would return to having a top football and/or basketball team. If Miami had NOT signed the LONGEST EVER apparel/shoe deal with adidas, we would be up for renegotiation right about now, and neither Nike nor adidas would offer us what adidas offered us 7 years ago.

And I'm fine with that. Miami has ****e the bed for the better part of 17 years in a row. We SHOULD be getting paid less by our shoe/apparel company.

But, yeah, some dipsh!tes are going to argue that we should desperately hang onto an over-priced contract for the next 5 years, while ignoring the fact that we will be getting below-average bids in 5 years if we don't start winning immediately.

Not to mention that certain people are acting as if Nike forced all the weird designs and colorways on us. Funny thing, good ADs at Ped State and Michigan and Alabama and Clemson don't get pushed around by Nike, they don't get forced to wear bra-straps and off-colors. Both Eichorst and James were TERRIBLE ADs who didn't stand up for better uniforms. ****, as soon as we hired Richt, we were MYSTERIOUSLY able to ditch the weird crap that adidas was pushing on us.

Maybe the shoe companies are not to blame, and the weak-a$$ ADs are...
You make many valid points and I never understood why Miami became Nike’s guinea pig for uniforms; however, Nike is guilty for treating us like crap, at the end. Players were not getting proper equipment and gear from Nike as promised legally. Hence, why the players and staff were loving Adidas when they came.

Our leaders failed us for not winning and building a demand for the brand but Nike is guilty, as well. They turned their backs on us, too. Clearly, you dismiss that because you have an agenda but whatever.

You make many valid points and I never understood why Miami became Nike’s guinea pig for uniforms; however, Nike is guilty for treating us like crap, at the end. Players were not getting proper equipment and gear from Nike as promised legally. Hence, why the players were loving Adidas when they came.

Our leaders failed us for not winning and building a demand for the brand but Nike is guilty, as well. They turned their backs on us, too. Clearly, you dismiss that because you have an agenda but whatever.
Nike got lazy as **** the last decade

Yeah, I love adidas. I was never a big Nike guy amd I was glad Miami made the switch. I was under the impression that the adidas deal was much better financially for Miami. That said, I don't really care who it is, so long as they pay up and support the players.
It was a better deal, but let's not let facts and figures get in the way of a good session of groupthink. Amazing that anyone would be fine with the way Nike treated Miami for the better part of two decades. They treated Miami like dogcrap, even when the program was winning, but hey. "The Swoosh".

What's funny is that the same company didn't have a problem backing up trucks to programs like Michigan and Tennessee, despite them being arguably less relevant than Miami in the same time frame. Keep that in mind. That's something that people won't bring up, because they are married to a brand.

Advertisement
Yep and we have idiots here acting like Phil Knight is suddenly walking down the streets handing out Nike duffles. So Phil started caring when Mario arrived? Or maybe Mario is an actual beast recruiter. Beens that’s been his reputation since forever.
The point some are making is that those schools listed haven't really been options for the best players. Chip doesn't care about recruiting. He was like that at Oregon and he's like that at UCLA. USC is a mess. Stanford is in the middle of their 3rd losing season in row with insane academic standards that don't really bend and Cal is the same way. Throw in Petersen retiring and Washington already firing his replacement. So truly what are the options?

You guys want to pretend that Oregon might not have decided after the downturn with Helfrich that they needed to operate differently? Yet we'll sit here and talk about the much needed change in commitment to sports that Miami is currently undergoing. It is likely that Oregon did the same. We know UGA turned it up a notch when Kirby took over.

All that being I could give a **** about locking in 5-star LBs. The reason Mario's team is a 3 point dog to a Utah team they're allegedly much more talented than is because he hasn't been able to recruit and develop a good QB to take over for Herbert. He's whiffed for 4 years and it hurt him last year. We'll see if it gets him down the stretch this year.

You make many valid points and I never understood why Miami became Nike’s guinea pig for uniforms; however, Nike is guilty for treating us like crap, at the end. Players were not getting proper equipment and gear from Nike as promised legally. Hence, why the players and staff were loving Adidas when they came.

Why are you bothering to reason with those that are unreasonable? A lot of these Nike cultists would tolerate Nike crapping on Miami on national TV, just because they love the swoosh so much. Honestly, I think a lot of these people love Nike more than they love the University of Miami. The student athletes and coaches were fed up with how Nike treated Miami before the contract ended. I know because I was on campus at the time and witnessed it first hand.

They treated EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM like crap, even the ones that were winning. When the star PG on a Top 5 ranked basketball team has to go down to Sole Fly to get kicks, because Nike won't bother to give players access to the good stuff(Getting a jersey that fit back then was a minor miracle), then that's a sign that said company doesn't give a **** about you.

Adidas put more marketing support into Miami in one year, than Nike had in two decades. Frankly, the only reason Nike started paying people fair market value was that they were afraid that Adidas was going to start poaching more teams after Miami left. At one point, Alabama, with all their winning and success was only getting 2.5 million in cash per year, plus merch. Nike had cornered the market and was suppressing revenue because they didn't have any legitimate competition. For a program like Alabama or Clemson, that isn't a problem, they can easily make that up just from ticket sales and donations from their huge and passionate donor bases. For a program like Miami, leaving money on the table is a death sentence. Adidas offered at MINIMUM double what Nike did, and some argue it was closer to triple if you include the sheer amount of merch.

I keep telling people this...Mario is LOVED in Dade/Broward...

Advertisement
Nike got lazy as **** the last decade
That's an understatement. Nike has always been lazy. They were able to ride the infrastructure built by Sonny Vaccaro for decades, without doing a **** thing to improve upon it. Think about it, when was the last time Nike really built a solid marketing campaign for a college program? Exactly. When was the last time Nike did something that made you stand up and notice? Exactly. They have been riding the vapors of hypebeasts for a while now. They barely put out new shoes, they just keep retroing everything in every color. I see another pair of AJXIIs dropped, I'm going to shoot someone.

The point some are making is that those schools listed haven't really been options for the best players. Chip doesn't care about recruiting. He was like that at Oregon and he's like that at UCLA. USC is a mess. Stanford is in the middle of their 3rd losing season in row with insane academic standards that don't really bend and Cal is the same way. Throw in Petersen retiring and Washington already firing his replacement. So truly what are the options?

You guys want to pretend that Oregon might not have decided after the downturn with Helfrich that they needed to operate differently? Yet we'll sit here and talk about the much needed change in commitment to sports that Miami is currently undergoing. It is likely that Oregon did the same. We know UGA turned it up a notch when Kirby took over.

All that being I could give a **** about locking in 5-star LBs. The reason Mario's team is a 3 point dog to a Utah team they're allegedly much more talented than is because he hasn't been able to recruit and develop a good QB to take over for Herbert. He's whiffed for 4 years and it hurt him last year. We'll see if it gets him down the stretch this year.
Oregon suddenly made the change when Mario arrived ? Or maybe he brought the plans to building the infrastructure. Oregon suddenly started playing different when he arrived , crazy timing.

Advertisement
Back