Nike deal

so tell your boys at nike to offer Miami a deal with fronting the buyout. Miami was getting shafted by nike at the end esp w team equipment. I care more about that.

trust me, idgaf about what logo is on a shirt. whichever helps the school pay for **** matters to me more. if its nike so be it. if its Russell so be it.

From my understanding, some old heads on Nike’s board was not cool w/ the latter end of our deal & how it concluded….ESPECIALLY losing us to an arch rival in Adidas.

Let’s be clear, however…The University of Miami has done zero favors for itself. F the apparel companies, I told u all that the NIL deals would not benefit us. Why? B/c of the product. Miami has shot itself in the foot w/ so many opportunities, yet they have rested on their laurels & the ghost of our past. Nike is a business. Adidas is a business. Under Armor is a business. Adidas took a chance on us b/c they were “hoping” to rebrand themselves w/ a power school. We have not done that, and they r suffering.

Like some of u think very narrow minded. Do u think Adidas is in the business of just giving out free money? They made the deal to punch Nike in the gut by stealing one of their babies, and capitalize off the brand from a merch & on-field product standpoint. Their merch is marked down, meaning they r trying to make as much money as possible b/c they r taking L’s, & since they’ve been our sponsor, we’ve suffered egregious losses! U think that’s what they paid for?

At the end of the day, Miami bamboozled Adidas & The ACC. Some of ya’ll romanticize business deals. It’s funny b/c we give props for a dude bouncing from a failed marriage b/c she turned out to be a lazy bytch, but criticize a company leaving a failed partner b/c the partner was lazy. Lol

Advertisement
Ohhhh okay.

A desire to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

And how ****ed off would Oregon been at Nike and Phil Knight for negotiating a quid pro quo deal to allow Mario to leave Oregon for Miami if Miami switched back to Nike

Logistical and contractually it’s not true

What about the part in between "desire to do something" and "actually doing it", which would be "actively trying to make it happen"?

Again, this is some myth that has been built up by mopey Miami fans. Not mad at you, just not sure where in the **** this comes from.

Has Nike/Phil Knight ever punitively punished anyone? Did F$U lose its Nike deal when they hired Taggart after ONE YEAR at Oregon? Come on now. Nike has deals with nearly every P5 program, Phil Knight is making huge dollars by NOT taking revenge on anyone.

It is unfathomable to think that Phil Knight/Nike/Oregon would be shocked by Miami-native Mario Cristobal wanting to return to his long-time hometown. They may not love it, but I'm sure they knew that this day might come. And as I pointed out on a separate thread, Oregon has hired solid head coaches FOR FORTY YEARS, so they can definitely replace Mario if he chooses to leave.

Also, a lot of people are failing to take into account what Nike would gain by stealing one of adidas' flagship schools. There's lots of forms of revenge, and I definitely think that Phil Knight would be more interested in hurting a competitor rather than hurting a school that hires someone away.

Let's review...did Oregon back up the Brinks Truck to keep Taggart? Did Nike punish F$U for hiring Taggart? I know we can all laugh about it now, but at the time, it was a pretty bold move for F$U to steal Oregon's coach after one year.

From my understanding, some old heads on Nike’s board was not cool w/ the latter end of our deal & how it concluded….ESPECIALLY losing us to an arch rival in Adidas.

Let’s be clear, however…The University of Miami has done zero favors for itself. F the apparel companies, I told u all that the NIL deals would not benefit us. Why? B/c of the product. Miami has shot itself in the foot w/ so many opportunities, yet they have rested on their laurels & the ghost of our past. Nike is a business. Adidas is a business. Under Armor is a business. Adidas took a chance on us b/c they were “hoping” to rebrand themselves w/ a power school. We have not done that, and they r suffering.

Like some of u think very narrow minded. Do u think Adidas is in the business of just giving out free money? They made the deal to punch Nike in the gut by stealing one of their babies, and capitalize off the brand from a merch & on-field product standpoint. Their merch is marked down, meaning they r trying to make as much money as possible b/c they r taking L’s, & since they’ve been our sponsor, we’ve suffered egregious losses! U think that’s what they paid for?

At the end of the day, Miami bamboozled Adidas & The ACC. Some of ya’ll romanticize business deals. It’s funny b/c we give props for a dude bouncing from a failed marriage b/c she turned out to be a lazy bytch, but criticize a company leaving a failed partner b/c the partner was lazy. Lol
Exactly. Only reason this is working is because Adidas is unhappy themselves.

Again, this is some myth that has been built up by mopey Miami fans. Not mad at you, just not sure where in the **** this comes from.

Has Nike/Phil Knight ever punitively punished anyone? Did F$U lose its Nike deal when they hired Taggart after ONE YEAR at Oregon? Come on now. Nike has deals with nearly every P5 program, Phil Knight is making huge dollars by NOT taking revenge on anyone.

It is unfathomable to think that Phil Knight/Nike/Oregon would be shocked by Miami-native Mario Cristobal wanting to return to his long-time hometown. They may not love it, but I'm sure they knew that this day might come. And as I pointed out on a separate thread, Oregon has hired solid head coaches FOR FORTY YEARS, so they can definitely replace Mario if he chooses to leave.

Also, a lot of people are failing to take into account what Nike would gain by stealing one of adidas' flagship schools. There's lots of forms of revenge, and I definitely think that Phil Knight would be more interested in hurting a competitor rather than hurting a school that hires someone away.

Let's review...did Oregon back up the Brinks Truck to keep Taggart? Did Nike punish F$U for hiring Taggart? I know we can all laugh about it now, but at the time, it was a pretty bold move for F$U to steal Oregon's coach after one year.
I don’t disagree with anything you mentioned

If:
A- Miami hired Mario
and
B- Miami was able to switch back to Nike

I would certainly be happy. But also stand by the fact that they are coincidental rather than intertwined per some of the conspiracy theories being mentioned

I don't give a **** about the logos/quality. Quality is pretty close, at least for the primary shoes (not talking about the outlet store crap models). I'll wear what the U wears.

But as a company, Nike is stronger, and as a provider, Nike is better. Good lord, the UCF athletes get more merch from Nike than the UM athletes get from adidas. And I've already talked about how the "special edition" UM shoes have been straight garbage with the exception of Year 1 and this year. I have some "premium" UM special edition shoes that I would be embarrassed to wear in public.

adidas promised us more than they have delivered. I won't be mad if they just let us walk away.
Nike shoes wipe their *** with Adidas....I'll put my Nike Air Max, and Renews up against anything Adidas puts out. @Rellyrell ...just ordered these yesterday....
renew-run-2-mens-road-running-shoe-8WSLZf.png

Advertisement

I agree with you on all this

I don’t disagree with anything you mentioned

If:
A- Miami hired Mario
and
B- Miami was able to switch back to Nike

I would certainly be happy. But also stand by the fact that they are coincidental rather than intertwined per some of the conspiracy theories being mentioned

That's why I said "somewhat wrong". I know they are not directly "quid pro quo" related, but it would be helpful if we could square away the Nike thing before the other thing.

Otherwise, Oregon will be blood-red with all the exploded heads.

It's not ideal timing, obviously. The Nike thing has more to do with firing Blake than hiring Mario, but I also think Mario would love to rock the swoosh rather than the 3-stripes.

Attachments

• 744DBC4B-27C2-41C6-A430-5EF55780C205.jpeg
    744DBC4B-27C2-41C6-A430-5EF55780C205.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 73
Advertisement
That's why I said "somewhat wrong". I know they are not directly "quid pro quo" related, but it would be helpful if we could square away the Nike thing before the other thing.

Otherwise, Oregon will be blood-red with all the exploded heads.

It's not ideal timing, obviously. The Nike thing has more to do with firing Blake than hiring Mario, but I also think Mario would love to rock the swoosh rather than the 3-stripes.
Agreed

Even if Mario doesn’t come to Miami, I whole heartedly endorse the winds of change getting Miami back to Nike, and could see it being a nice coincidence should Mario elect to come home

Good point but once it was brought to their attention they started to meet the contractual agreement.
Doesn't matter. They knew it was in there and loyalty doesn’t come from something being brought to your attention it's doing what you said or agreed to even if the other side doesn't know

Doesn't matter. They knew it was in there and loyalty doesn’t come from something being brought to your attention it's doing what you said or agreed to even if the other side doesn't know

Yeah, and as I mentioned to someone else, in the corporate world, if you have a clause like this, you usually tell the impacted party as a courtesy, so they don't read about it in the newspaper. The fact that adidas did that and never said anything to Beta Blake is still a valid concern, even if Beta Blake was ALSO an idiot for not figuring things out sooner.

Advertisement
Just picked these up & waiting for them to arrive.

How old are those? Is that a FAMU colorway, or just a "random" orange-green colorway from Nike.

Notice how adidas never "accidentally" releases an orange-green colorway for a top-selling shoe? Heads would explode if there was actually an orange-green Yeezy, and not just that photoshop orange-green Yeezy.

How old are those? Is that a FAMU colorway, or just a "random" orange-green colorway from Nike.

Notice how adidas never "accidentally" releases an orange-green colorway for a top-selling shoe? Heads would explode if there was actually an orange-green Yeezy, and not just that photoshop orange-green Yeezy.

Naw; these r the old Miami Hurricanes Hurraches. They re-released them & I caught a pair. They re-released these & the Miami Hurricanes Air Max 97 about a couple months ago. The Air Max were too expensive, though, so I’m trying to pull some channels. lol

And yeah, agreed…I been bytching that there should’ve been a Miami color way for the HUs, Yeezy’s, or Nite Joggers. We have a very nice color way in general.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who actually shops for team gear on the supplier's website? That hasn't been a place to get gear for the better part of two decades. Most people hit Fanatics, local team stores and the like for their gear. I got curious and went over to Jordan's website, and outside of some boilerplate stuff, there was nothing there. Adidas teams more with other merchants in regards to gear, you get your shoes from adidas.com or the app, but if you want a Miami sweatshirt, you'll most likely end up on Fanatics or a local shop's website.

I get it, we have a bunch of old heads that refuse to let go of the Nike hypebeast stuff. Never mind the fact that the designs and the like are pretty similar, the materials used are similar. Again, a forward thinking organization would see the potential of Miami to be a national brand, provided the program is doing well and would invest accordingly. Adidas is doing that. Nike won't, and never will. If I'm running a department, I won't team with other companies that don't treat me as a priority. We weren't a priority for Nike, even when things were going well.

I checked Adidas’ site because I don’t find Miami gear in the places that I usually buy it.

I don’t generally buy clothes online so if there is some hidden gold mine of Adidas gear online that I have missed cool.

You said old head so I am guessing you are a younger guy. The type of Nike Miami gear I bought from the mid 90s on was pretty prolific. Hats, jackets, beanies, socks, all kinds of stuff.

I don’t see anything near that variety anymore. In store, online, or on the street worn by Miami fans.

So was listening to one of the canes blogs and they said Mario and money not an issue but somehow Nike was an obstacle.

Anyone know what that could mean?

I know Mario is very appreciative of what Phil Knight and Nike has done for him in giving him a P5 coaching opportunity and providing plenty of financial resources.

As a sort of pay back to Knight for what he’s done be that Mario asks for UM go back to Nike as part of the negotiations?

If that’s the case what are the legal and financial repercussions breaking the contract with ADIDAS?
Maybe Nike was about to give Mario a shoe deal? 😂 Nike Air Super Marios

And truth be told, I’m glad he called this out, although now the Chinese gov’t is saying they have no knowledge of this.

Listen, I’m telling u as a African American from the hood who dealt w/ constant, personal, injustice…I care about all injustices, not just ones that affect my community. Nike has been a champion behind a lot of causes, and as I mentioned, when my school needed a sponsor, Adidas, Reebok, New Balance were no where to be found….Nike came through, to the hood (literally u can see my school & my former neighborhood on Boyz N Da Hood), and helped us & continued to help us (despite getting smoked 106-0…lol)

But Nike also needs to investigate what’s happening at these shops that r being used for their goods! Most companies use sweat shops whether in China, Taiwan, Mexico, Philippines, but working conditions need to be on point. Compensation should at least be cost of living.

Kanter called out the Turkish gov’t, now he’s calling out China’s gov’t, and put Nike on notice to help this. I love it.

Last edited:
It's a beyond stupid discussion to have now but I NEVER want to go back to Nike just on the slim chance that they'd put the effing Jumpman logo on our unis. Outside of Cuckalina that **** is so stupid on anything football related. Up there with the Heat (in a beyond rare misstep) retiring Jordan's number.
Best post of the day. That **** makes me irrationally angry.

Advertisement
Back