New Miami Adidas Ultraboost🔥

Pink Floyd's Animals Album had only 5 songs on it....From 17:00 mins....too 1:30 mins. What a masterpiece. Talk about 4 Great LPs in a row.
*Dark Side of the Moon
*Wish you were Here
*Animals
*The Wall

Floyd is a different situation, and I'd say the same thing about a lot of other progressive rock bands. Oh, and by the way, I just got the remastered "Animals", so I've listened to it multiple times over the past few months....

Floyd structured CERTAIN songs to be very long. Some songs had multiple parts. Some songs had repeating elements throughout the albums as well. They did not have a three minute song on an album that turned into a 20 minute jam in concert. The song was always intended to be whatever length they created it to be.

Almost every "long" Floyd song was written at the time of Wish You Were Here, including Shine On You Crazy Diamond (in 9 parts). Animals had three long songs (Dogs, Pigs, Sheep), two of which (Dogs, Sheep) were written at the time of Wish You Were Here and had been played in concert for years. Pigs (the "new" long song) was the only one that was often even longer in concert.

Advertisement
Floyd is a different situation, and I'd say the same thing about a lot of other progressive rock bands. Oh, and by the way, I just got the remastered "Animals", so I've listened to it multiple times over the past few months....

Floyd structured CERTAIN songs to be very long. Some songs had multiple parts. Some songs had repeating elements throughout the albums as well. They did not have a three minute song on an album that turned into a 20 minute jam in concert. The song was always intended to be whatever length they created it to be.

Almost every "long" Floyd song was written at the time of Wish You Were Here, including Shine On You Crazy Diamond (in 9 parts). Animals had three long songs (Dogs, Pigs, Sheep), two of which (Dogs, Sheep) were written at the time of Wish You Were Here and had been played in concert for years. Pigs (the "new" long song) was the only one that was often even longer in concert.
I saw them in 1977 (Animals tour)

Yep. That's the tour that was such a bad experience (to Waters) that it inspired him to write The Wall, because he literally wanted to build a wall between him and the audience. The Animals tour promoters lied to him and oversold most venues, and at one point there was even a spitting incident.

After that Animals ("In the Flesh") tour, the band only ever played 31 more concerts with Roger Waters before he left the band.

7 shows in LA (The Wall tour)
5 shows in Nassau County NY (The Wall Tour)
11 shows at Earls Court London (The Wall Tour)
8 shows in Dortmund Germany (The Wall Tour)

And that was it.

Yep. That's the tour that was such a bad experience (to Waters) that it inspired him to write The Wall, because he literally wanted to build a wall between him and the audience. The Animals tour promoters lied to him and oversold most venues, and at one point there was even a spitting incident.

After that Animals ("In the Flesh") tour, the band only ever played 31 more concerts with Roger Waters before he left the band.

7 shows in LA (The Wall tour)
5 shows in Nassau County NY (The Wall Tour)
11 shows at Earls Court London (The Wall Tour)
8 shows in Dortmund Germany (The Wall Tour)

And that was it.
He's unquestionably, one of the biggest Douchebags on Earth, but also was a brilliant musician. The concert I saw was at the Old Miami baseball stadium, and was incredible. (*Note*....the bottom left Skynyrd stub was 5 days before the Tragedy...I think it was the second to last concert before the plane crash)
received_530165955726146.jpeg

He's unquestionably, one of the biggest Douchebags on Earth, but also was a brilliant musician. The concert I saw was at the Old Miami baseball stadium, and was incredible. (*Note*....the bottom left Skynyrd stub was 5 days before the Tragedy...I think it was the second to last concert before the plane crash)View attachment 232771
Cellar Door. Wow! Haven’t heard that name in years. My father hated concerts in the Miami Baseball Stadium and the OB. The fields were totally destroyed and it took days to clean up the stands.

Advertisement

Unfortunately I am too young (45) and didn't fully appreciate Pink Floyd for being the musical geniuses that they are until nearly too late, but I did at least get to see them 2x on the Division Bell Tour. David Gilmore to this day is one of my favorite musicians! And that is coming from a punk rock guy!!!!

Unfortunately I am too young (45) and didn't fully appreciate Pink Floyd for being the musical geniuses that they are until nearly too late, but I did at least get to see them 2x on the Division Bell Tour. David Gilmore to this day is one of my favorite musicians! And that is coming from a punk rock guy!!!!
The 1977 Pink Floyd concert was beyond Incredible.

Yeah, and obviously anyone can be a fan of anything, so nothing against the people who like the Dead.

But I've tried. I've tried and I've tried. Nobody can make the argument "but just give it a listen, you'll start to like it". I've listened to The Dead (more "against my will" since Touch of Grey) for nearly my entire life, and the music just...isn't good...

And when the primary arguments are "but they're better live" (KISS figured out how to get better sound on studio albums) or "you need to be high when you listen", those are NOT good cases for why their music is any good.

I'm just not impressed by a band that drops acid and turns a tight 3-minute rock-and-roll song into a meandering and pointless 20 minute "jam". Nope. Sorry. Never been impressed. And I wanted to, being a Deadhead seems like it could be fun.

Imagine the good that could have come from a bunch of sellout hippies giving their time and money to a more-deserving and talented band.
And honestly, "Touch of Grey",..... is their best song.

Advertisement
Was never a big fan of Floyd but liked some of their stuff. Gilmore is a highly under rated guitarist overshadowed a lot by Roger Waters and all his drama.

Yeah, and obviously anyone can be a fan of anything, so nothing against the people who like the Dead.

But I've tried. I've tried and I've tried. Nobody can make the argument "but just give it a listen, you'll start to like it". I've listened to The Dead (more "against my will" since Touch of Grey) for nearly my entire life, and the music just...isn't good...

And when the primary arguments are "but they're better live" (KISS figured out how to get better sound on studio albums) or "you need to be high when you listen", those are NOT good cases for why their music is any good.

I'm just not impressed by a band that drops acid and turns a tight 3-minute rock-and-roll song into a meandering and pointless 20 minute "jam". Nope. Sorry. Never been impressed. And I wanted to, being a Deadhead seems like it could be fun.

Imagine the good that could have come from a bunch of sellout hippies giving their time and money to a more-deserving and talented band.
I’d actually recommend the opposite from the live show. If you like Americana/folk, I would say listen to American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead studio albums. Ripple being the one song I would point to specifically. Lyrically, it is a beautiful, beautiful song.

Possibly only good song......my opinion.

Touch of Grey? It's funny you say that, because in the Dead community, it's a lightening rod song, and that's being generous. A lot of people loathe it as their solitary, fleeting attempt at commercial music (which is actually unfair). I don't think you will find a legitimate fan of the band that would call it their best song. Most wouldn't put it top 25 or 50 tbh. I don't judge anyone, music is a highly subjective thing, and I certainly have my favorites, but it's generally an instant way to discern whether someone really knows anything about the band and it's music. Touch of Grey barely registers with Deadheads.

So if you go back to the origins of Touch of Grey, they played it live for years before they even bothered to go into the studio to record and release it, let alone shoot that wacky video. It debuted in 1982, became a live staple, and wasn't even recorded and released until 1987 where it became their biggest commercial radio hit.

That's a key thing that uninformed people who are ignorant to the band's history don't know. Most bands record an album in the studio, multi-track it, dub it, get it fully produced, and then go try to replicate it as best they can on the road. Or ****, they even write it in the studio.

The Dead are a live band, period. They wrote their songs, and worked them out in real time, live on the road with their audience, not in the studio. You can even often hear the songs change a great bit over the first year or two they played them. Their music is meant to be heard live, especially since there is so much improvisation. Contrary to ignorant opinion, they don't as much "stretch out" a studio song on the road with exploratory improvisational jams sometimes, no, that's what the songs ARE, they have to simplify them to fit on the record! It's in reverse. You have no idea how influential they've been, to so many famous artists across all genres. Their ability to go out on a high-wire with no net each night, often without a set list, and bring it home is legendary, and they've been compared to great historical jazz musicians many times because of it. They will play 4-5 shows without repeating a song. Here is Don Was (musician and famous producer of The Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, Jackson Brown, STP, Van Morrison, Ziggy Marley, etc etc) and Taylor Hawkins (drummer for the Foo Fighters, of course) talking about their influence for example:

The Dead were a terrible fit for the studio, and they've all said as much, they tried to avoid the studio as much as possible, didn't care that much about releasing studio records, but did it anyway, because its what you do. I don't know a single legitimate fan of their music who ever bothers to play one of their studio records. Ever. I sure don't. They hated the studio. I play the live shows. The albums are really only used as ways for new people to maybe get introduced, before they quickly move on.

Back to Touch of Grey - it was a really nice little catchy sentimental song that played well live. Then once it got MTV'd, Heads started to roll their eyes at it and dismiss it. Interestingly enough, as it's aged, and the band has aged, and ****, I'm not even of that generation, but I am sure aging like all of us too, it's kind of circled back to being that nice little song with some relevant sentimentality, telling us it's going to be ok and it's ok even when it's not, especially the way the last few decades have gone here on Earth, with not just the band, but maybe most of us experiencing adversity and also losing people.

"We will get by. We will survive."

"Every silver lining's got a touch of grey."

Music Moments with CE, every Tuesday morning. Tell your friends. :)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Touch of Grey? It's funny you say that, because in the Dead community, it's a lightening rod song, and that's being generous. A lot of people loathe it as their solitary, fleeting attempt at commercial music (which is actually unfair). I don't think you will find a legitimate fan of the band that would call it their best song. Most wouldn't put it top 25 or 50 tbh. I don't judge anyone, music is a highly subjective thing, and I certainly have my favorites, but it's generally an instant way to discern whether someone really knows anything about the band and it's music. Touch of Grey barely registers with Deadheads.

So if you go back to the origins of Touch of Grey, they played it live for years before they even bothered to go into the studio to record and release it, let alone shoot that wacky video. It debuted in 1982, became a live staple, and wasn't even recorded and released until 1987 where it became their biggest commercial radio hit.

That's a key thing that uninformed people who are ignorant to the band's history don't know. Most bands record an album in the studio, multi-track it, dub it, get it fully produced, and then go try to replicate it as best they can on the road. Or ****, they even write it in the studio.

The Dead are a live band, period. They wrote their songs, and worked them out in real time, live on the road with their audience, not in the studio. You can even often hear the songs change a great bit over the first year or two they played them. Their music is meant to be heard live, especially since there is so much improvisation. Contrary to ignorant opinion, they don't as much "stretch out" a studio song on the road with exploratory improvisational jams sometimes, no, that's what the songs ARE, they have to simplify them to fit on the record! It's in reverse. You have no idea how influential they've been, to so many famous artists across all genres. Their ability to go out on a high-wire with no net each night, often without a set list, and bring it home is legendary, and they've been compared to great historical jazz musicians many times because of it. They will play 4-5 shows without repeating a song. Here is Don Was (musician and famous producer of The Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, Jackson Brown, STP, Van Morrison, Ziggy Marley, etc etc) and Taylor Hawkins (drummer for the Foo Fighters, of course) talking about their influence for example:

The Dead were a terrible fit for the studio, and they've all said as much, they tried to avoid the studio as much as possible, didn't care that much about releasing studio records, but did it anyway, because its what you do. I don't know a single legitimate fan of their music who ever bothers to play one of their studio records. Ever. I sure don't. They hated the studio. I play the live shows. The albums are really only used as ways for new people to maybe get introduced, before they quickly move on.

Back to Touch of Grey - it was a really nice little catchy sentimental song that played well live. Then once it got MTV'd, Heads started to roll their eyes at it and dismiss it. Interestingly enough, as it's aged, and the band has aged, and ****, I'm not even of that generation, but I am sure aging like all of us too, it's kind of circled back to being that nice little song with some relevant sentimentality, telling us it's going to be ok and it's ok even when it's not, especially the way the last few decades have gone here on Earth, with not just the band, but maybe most of us experiencing adversity and also losing people.

I'll be honest... I put American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on the record player ALL THE TIME. As much as Europe 72. Probably because the songs on them lend themselves to the Dead's version of being great for the studio and those songs are not the big jam vehicles anyways.

I'll be honest... I put American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on the record player ALL THE TIME. As much as Europe 72. Probably because the songs on them lend themselves to the Dead's version of being great for the studio and those songs are not the big jam vehicles anyways.

Those are definitely special, special albums, because they are stuffed with amazing songs. Any lyrically, I could listen to a dying dog spout Hunter lyrics. But give me Europe 72' or countless ****'s Picks or whatever I grab off the Re-listen app in my truck, and I'm where I need to be. I like to find the differences in the performances and I love what the crowd brings.

Last edited:
And honestly, "Touch of Grey",..... is their best song.

Yeah, and that goes back to my point about the Dead being TERRIBLE in the studio and having a reputation based solely on playing live. Which shouldn't make any sense for a band over 20 years into their existence. I'll explain.

A bunch of the songs on that "In the Dark" album had been written years earlier. The Dead had played that song ("Touch of Grey") and other songs live for over five years. And they RECORDED the album on a live stage with the lights out (hence the title "In the Dark") to duplicate the live playing experience. Which is why THAT ALBUM was finally a studio album that sounded halfway decent (plus, they did some overdubs to fix it up).

Compare that to KISS, who only broke through to a wider audience with the "Alive!" album, after struggling through three studio albums that were tamer than their live show. For their fourth studio album, they went out and got Bob Ezrin to produce. Paul Stanley referred to the sessions as a rock-and-roll "boot camp", and that's exactly what KISS needed. But the Dead really couldn't figure out how to match an album to their live performances until 20 years into their existence, after playing the album live for 5 years in a row. Sad.

Advertisement

My cousin is a die hard dead head and has seen them countless times. Touch of Grey is actually one of his least favorite songs of theirs.

To each their own, I am a punk rock/hardcore guy for the most part. My brother growing up was into the dead and floyd. I just could never get into the dead. Perhaps it is the 90 second song mentality of the punk rock genre, I lose interest too quickly in a tune.

My cousin is a die hard dead head and has seen them countless times. Touch of Grey is actually one of his least favorite songs of theirs.

To each their own, I am a punk rock/hardcore guy for the most part. My brother growing up was into the dead and floyd. I just could never get into the dead. Perhaps it is the 90 second song mentality of the punk rock genre, I lose interest too quickly in a tune.
To most real "deadheads", it's probably seen as being too commercial.

I love punk rock too. And some metal. I love a lot of different music.

The Dead... I get it, from afar, it's like wtf? It's why you REALLY need to see it live or you have no shot at understanding it. It's really hard to put into words. It just is. ****, it doesn't even have to be them. Check out Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD) if they come to your town. They RIP through Dead songs, it's intense and they are masters of their instruments. They are all ringers who have played with all the various band members off-shoots over the years. They have a much younger following. I love them too. They sell out places as big as Red Rocks.

Once it clicks though, it's like everything turns from black and white to color with it. It's really hard to explain. We call it "getting on the bus." It's why you see a guy like Taylor Hawkins, late in his (too short) career, suddenly like, holy ****.

Also, these never get old lol:

Last edited:
I’d actually recommend the opposite from the live show. If you like Americana/folk, I would say listen to American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead studio albums. Ripple being the one song I would point to specifically. Lyrically, it is a beautiful, beautiful song.

I hear you, my friend. I'm definitely not trying to knock the fans of the band. Everyone likes what they like.

But man...I've tried...if I told you the number of times I've heard "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones" and "Box of Rain" and "Friend of the Devil" and "Sugar Magnolia" and "Truckin"...****, I can probably quote you lyrics (and many of the lyrics are very poetic, I'd never deny the talent and the inspiration of the 1960s on so many singer-songwriters). I grew up in the 1970s when all the white kids on my schoolbus outvoted the black kids and the busdriver had to play the album rock station, so I've heard quite a few Grateful Dead songs.

And I had numerous friends at UM who were Deadheads ("In the Dark" came out in the summer after my freshman year). I assure you, my dislike of the music is not based on a bias, I've listened, I've tried to like it. My jokes about "sellout hippies" are more a product of what I've observed from the 1990s and beyond, I just think it's comical, but that's separate from me not liking the music.

Finally, my comment on the long jam songs is my feeling on every band's music. I love the Allman Brothers, but I'm not a fan of an album-side-length "Mountain Jam" (though I MIGHT make an exception for "Whipping Post", which is a stunningly great song). I was not a fan of the 27 minute version of "Dazed and Confused", though Zeppelin is one of my favorite all-time bands and I love the studio version of the song. I could MAYBE live with Skynyrd turning a 9 minute studio "Freebird" into a 14 minute concert version. I love Rush. I love Genesis. I love Yes. But I'm otherwise not a fan of turning a 3 minute song into a 30 minute song.

That's all. Much respect to all the Deadheads, I would never question your enjoyment, I would never question your fandom. I'd love to join the club, it looks like a helluva good time. But the music doesn't move me, though I've given it every chance to do so.

Advertisement
Back