New Kickoff rule

Advertisement
He's gotta learn how to come to balance, track, close space, and finish to be valuable in the open field
I think a little differently...his reckless style could be very beneficial. Listen, that style has led him to a blooper reel equal to if not greater the highlight reel...a true feat in football. But, in this new play that - for now - has a "go get ball" element to it, I think James Williams splash plays play up in this very theoretical scenario - and his weaknesses are just washed out by the complexity of the league and advanced play of those around him. That doesn't translate to defense or anything...just in this very theoretical scenario with how maybe this new play type would work. He's a really smart guy, too...and I know that didn't always show up on the field...but I'm sure he understands there are levels to this. Also, hustles his *** off, even after a blooper.

If that's not how you see James Williams, that's cool. I'm just saying I think I know he can play specials in the NFL at least, idk. Maybe that's crazy.

If I'm a GM, and I have to assemble a roster with this new **** to account for...JW is a guy I'd ear mark to draft with the lone purpose of being a fun piece of this new play. Maybe you get a lot more. Maybe you get nothing. Maybe you get Ray Ray Armstrong. idk. rolling the dice though.

I think a little differently...his reckless style could be very beneficial. Listen, that style has led him to a blooper reel equal to if not greater the highlight reel...a true feat in football. But, in this new play that - for now - has a "go get ball" element to it, I think James Williams splash plays play up in this very theoretical scenario - and his weaknesses are just washed out by the complexity of the league and advanced play of those around him. That doesn't translate to defense or anything...just in this very theoretical scenario with how maybe this new play type would work. He's a really smart guy, too...and I know that didn't always show up on the field...but I'm sure he understands there are levels to this. Also, hustles his *** off, even after a blooper.

If that's not how you see James Williams, that's cool. I'm just saying I think I know he can play specials in the NFL at least, idk. Maybe that's crazy.
Specials in the NFL are built around track, scallup, close space, finish. Can't whiff unless you're a gunner, can't give every single returner a 2-way go by freezing your feet. Some of this is just too much to learn on borrowed NFL time. He'd have to be working on contact prep / tracking now vs. whatever slaps he chose for his combine prep that made him look even less athletic.

So at a quick read and glance dare I say that I like this?

Seems it is trying to avoid the high speed collisions but also not take away the return game completely

I mean sure gimme the old way of doing things but…seems a fair compromise

I'm with you. At first glance, I was skeptical but the more I think about it, the more I like it. PRior to this year, kickoffs were a non event. Guys frequently kicked it out of the EZ. Now, every return is returnable and dare I say, you make a key block, and there's a good chance at a long gain. Higher likelihood for a long run than before.

Honestly, it's an advantage for a team like Miami that always has an abundance of skill players from South Florida. Kickoffs now rely solely on the returner to execute on his own, with a sprinkle of special team "strategy" on blocking. This seems like you can combine athleticism with actual scheme.

It's more of an actual "play" now than, "let's see what happens".

Advertisement
This new kickoff rule has been tested and executed in other leagues and it resulted in less major injuries, more returns, more explosive plays on returns and more strategic uses of returns.

It's a clear net positive for everyone involved.
This is my thoughts too but you know people love to complain about everything.

Last edited:
If you watched it in the XFL, its pretty interesting and once you get the true savants involved, the playcalling on this play will evolve and be interesting. Also, roster construction in the NFL is going to be a little different, especially at the bottom of the roster and you'll start seeing that in this upcoming draft.

You'll start to see teams carry an extra FB or TE, an extra linebacker or jumbo safety (a guy like James Williams becomes more valuable because of this; KJ Cloyd has a little more value as a special teamer)...your traditional kick returner and what a kick off special teamer looks like will change.

I'm curious if the incentive for a team to start at the 30 is enough to keep the ball in play. Return teams are going to have a lot of tricks up their sleeves.
Something that benefits true savants.... ****..

Advertisement
Back