New Kickoff rule

Advertisement
So at a quick read and glance dare I say that I like this?

Seems it is trying to avoid the high speed collisions but also not take away the return game completely

I mean sure gimme the old way of doing things but…seems a fair compromise
No more onside kicks expect if you’re trailing and announce it and then both teams line up the regular way.

Advertisement
More changes

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

How long before it gets adopted in CFB?

ATHENS, Ga. — The XFL kickoff system is coming to the NFL. And that means college football may not be far behind.
Georgia head coach Kirby Smart, a member of the college football rules committee, said he and others in the game are looking to make the kickoff more relevant while also making it safer. So they will follow the new NFL rule, which was approved on Tuesday.
“I think the NFL is the model. They know what they want. They know what they’re trying to do,” Smart said Tuesday. “And they’re going to get it right, and then hopefully we can look into it ourselves, if the kickoff is not part of our game.”

More after the jump, but it's behind a paywall so don't want to get in trouble...

The only thing I do not understand is they are keeping the kickoffs at the 35 yardline. When they made that change basically every NFL kicker can drill it through the endzone and that was the end of the kickoff part of football so we get 8 minutes of commercials to watch a 5 second kick soar out of the endzone.

So before, players were somewhat hesitant taking a ball out of the endzone but now those players are much much closer to them? idk how this will increase returns. Cut down on concussions sure, potentially, but also no more fair catches so maybe we start seeing a lot of pooch kicks with more hangtime landing inside the 5 because I also read now the touchback is at the 30 yardline. So returning teams are going to be inclined to let the ball go into the endzone. I also do not like how it neutered the surprise onside kick. Now teams need to announce it so the element of surprise is gone.

Advertisement
  • There are no onside kicks until the fourth quarter begins and a team is trailing, and current onside kick rules would apply

No more surprise onside kicks. Couple questions:

-How does this not eventually change for punting?
-Is the kicking team allowed to line up in any formation in that area? It seems if they're spread out it may be much easier to return kicks for TD's.

So at a quick read and glance dare I say that I like this?

Seems it is trying to avoid the high speed collisions but also not take away the return game completely

I mean sure gimme the old way of doing things but…seems a fair compromise
I think its a good thing.

Less injuries and no more touchbacks every kick.

i hope it comes to CFB. itll make kickoffs exciting game changing plays again.

I thought everyone was going to wear a flag for this play alone and then years later everyone can wear one

Advertisement
The only thing I do not understand is they are keeping the kickoffs at the 35 yardline. When they made that change basically every NFL kicker can drill it through the endzone and that was the end of the kickoff part of football so we get 8 minutes of commercials to watch a 5 second kick soar out of the endzone.

So before, players were somewhat hesitant taking a ball out of the endzone but now those players are much much closer to them? idk how this will increase returns. Cut down on concussions sure, potentially, but also no more fair catches so maybe we start seeing a lot of pooch kicks with more hangtime landing inside the 5 because I also read now the touchback is at the 30 yardline. So returning teams are going to be inclined to let the ball go into the endzone. I also do not like how it neutered the surprise onside kick. Now teams need to announce it so the element of surprise is gone.
My understanding that if it lands in the landing zone and goes in the end zone, it comes out to the 20 instead of the 30.

Advertisement
This new kickoff rule has been tested and executed in other leagues and it resulted in less major injuries, more returns, more explosive plays on returns and more strategic uses of returns.

It's a clear net positive for everyone involved.
If you prefer a football play over an auto TB into a commercial you should be for the change.

15 Years ago some NFL insiders were worried there would be no NFL because insurance carriers would stop insuring HS football teams and we would have a domino effect. The NFL with all their might has executed a strategy to largely eliminate that risk. I am sure they know to the injury how much this makes the game safer and my bet is we see a similar change at all levels.

If you watched it in the XFL, its pretty interesting and once you get the true savants involved, the playcalling on this play will evolve and be interesting. Also, roster construction in the NFL is going to be a little different, especially at the bottom of the roster and you'll start seeing that in this upcoming draft.

You'll start to see teams carry an extra FB or TE, an extra linebacker or jumbo safety (a guy like James Williams becomes more valuable because of this; KJ Cloyd has a little more value as a special teamer)...your traditional kick returner and what a kick off special teamer looks like will change.

I'm curious if the incentive for a team to start at the 30 is enough to keep the ball in play. Return teams are going to have a lot of tricks up their sleeves.

Advertisement
Back