Official New DB Coach, per Canesport (*Official, 2.21*)

Advertisement
Born & raised in Louisiana (New Orleans), & played FB at So. Miss. His only connection to South Fla are his 7 years w/ the Miami Dolphins and coaching at AH. I’m not sure why anyone would think or consider The Univ. of Miami his home.
Stop, you know the rule. If you live within 100 miles of UM campus for more than a decade you MUST love UM.

Advertisement
So...not Pat Surtain? I don't recognize the name, therefore I don't know how to feel about this.
Funny enough, I did my research on him last year because I thought Addae was gone.

Few things standout
- he was named MAC recruiter of the year in just his 2nd season as a D1 position coach

- in just his 3rd season as a D1 coach he was named head recruiter at Ball State.

- the first coach Les Miles hired at KU (was also a GA for Les & Raymond).

- Guidry now the 2nd guy to hire him twice (this speaks volumes to me personally).

- He has a footprint in Georgia, lots of commits at all 3 stops (BS, KU, Marshall) come from the peach state. This is nice to have.

That DC at LSU was a Disaster. The dysfunction on that side of ball forced Kelly to replace the entire defensive coaching staff.
Yeah, was an overall mess. But the fans were saying the players stunk, too. Just not up to par with what they have been used to, which is usually, 4-5 NFL DB candidates on the roster...they had 2 (or 3) G5 type DBs in the team and they just stuck out like a sore thumb to the fans.

I get it.

Born & raised in Louisiana (New Orleans), & played FB at So. Miss. His only connection to South Fla are his 7 years w/ the Miami Dolphins and coaching at AH. I’m not sure why anyone would think or consider The Univ. of Miami his home.
why????

B
E
C
A
U
S
E

T
H
I
S

I
S

C
I
S

A
N
D

C
I
S

I
S

L
I
F
E

Last edited:
Funny enough, I did my research on him last year because I thought Addae was gone.

Few things standout
- he was named MAC recruiter of the year in just his 2nd season as a D1 position coach

- in just his 3rd season as a D1 coach he was named head recruiter at Ball State.

- the first coach Les Miles hired at KU (was also a GA for Les & Raymond).

- Guidry now the 2nd guy to hire him twice (this speaks volumes to me personally).

- He has a footprint in Georgia, lots of commits at all 3 stops (BS, KU, Marshall) come from the peach state. This is nice to have.
It's a great resume no doubt. Just hasn't had that big name job yet but all signs point up here.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, home is where the heart is.

Surtain is similar to John Bosa (Nick & Joey’s father). He’s lived here since he got drafted by the Phins in 1987, yet never cared for UM at all. Their mother went to OSU and had always been an advocate for that **** school. Dad was cool with it, because while he lived here and that was home, he never considered UM “home”.

In fact dad played at BC and was on the Hail Flutie team. Between BC and OSU I’d bet they hate UM, yet have lived in South Florida for 35 years. I guess it’s as simple as doesn’t matter where you live, sometimes you don’t care for a singular college.

Im trying to think as to why folks think ACTUAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS who are alumni to other schools think of UM as their team?.

I dont think Pat Surtain has any hate to UM **** a bunch of kids he coached played for us recently.

I would think had he been offered the job he would have high tailed it out of tally lol..

Chevis Jackon seemed to be the target from b4 Addae wa sout of the gig and im cool with that cause thats Guidry's guy

Pat is actually from the Magnolia Projects of all places. Cash money records taking over for the 99 and 2000s

Advertisement
It's a great resume no doubt. Just hasn't had that big name job yet but all signs point up here.
Sounds a little like our DC

Feels like the 2nd time around here there’s a focus on staff cohesiveness which is easier if you can offer them the compensation to keep them around as well

I feel pretty good about it not gonna lie

Advertisement
Said he can recruit his *** off and brought some players to the program.
He's a Perry Eliano disciple, which means he learned from one of the best.

Plus he's an Outsider, that lets me know he's all business & working his way up to become a P4 CB's Coach.

Such a breath of fresh air actually reupholstering the Secondary room with dudes who actually know wtf they're doing & not just hiring people just because of where they're from or where they may have played at one point in their life.

"fLoRidA TiEs!" is so fckin overrated.

Question - Did Addae always suck or regress while at UM? And if the former, isn't Kirby a former DB coach and would know what good coaching looks like at that position first hand, ie, why would he hire him as well?
Sometimes things just don't work out.

NFL liked him well enough, but he just didn't produce on the recruiting trail and his unit was pretty undisciplined when they were here overall and in the few examples we've got, outplay their performance here in the pros so far.

He's a Perry Eliano disciple, which means he learned from one of the best.

Plus he's an Outsider, that lets me know he's all business & working his way up to become a P4 CB's Coach.

Such a breath of fresh air actually reupholstering the Secondary room with dudes who actually know wtf they're doing & not just hiring people just because of where they're from or where they may have played at one point in their life.

"fLoRidA TiEs!" is so fckin overrated.
He said he is a worker with a good personality and the kids respond. Im just glad to hear he knows how to teach the technique. Ready to see actual technique on gameday.

Advertisement
Back