MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Why is it a big difference? 300 million (for a stadium) is 300 million. And, why do I have to show all my work, but you're allowed to just hand-wave? lol. And I know it's a problem, perhaps THE problem, I just don't think it's a solution-less problem.

*Tangent* - Admittedly, I am not sure how the land/buildings were acquired (maybe @TheOriginalCane could help me out) so this might backfire on me, but you know that we have an adjunct campus, right? Perched on a prime piece of real estate, right on the water in Key Biscayne. Complete with a dozen buildings and a fleet of research vessels. My guess is that you'd agree with me that the capital needed to obtain that land and construct those buildings and buy those boats and operate that facility was "necessary" if our goal were to have a world-class marine research program. But, to have a world-class football program we can't do (essentially) the same thing (might need a few more 0s, I get it)?

And, lastly, since I think I'm done (for now - I'm sure another one of these threads will pop up in 8 months and I won't be able to constrain myself then) and not necessarily directed at you specifically - but I'd be remiss if I didn't call out those who want to have their "we're a professional team" cake and eat it too. How many professional teams don't at the very least operate their own stadium? I know Arison doesn't "own" whatever they are calling the AAA these days, but there aren't green seats in the lower bowl.

Not gonna touch that middle part.

Yeah, while we acquired the Rosenstiel campus a long time ago when land was much cheaper, the upkeep is ENORMOUS.

You have to spend money to make money. Something that Frenk and his advisors have started to live by very late in the game (but glad to have the change).

I said it in another response, but I'd be willing to wager big money that UM could improve its US News Rankings by 25-30 spots if we spent the money for a football stadium. Some can laugh, I don't care, but I saw it first hand in the 1980s (when we went from 88th to the low 60s) and we could see it again if we could crank up applications and a more active student body (at least compared to the slapdicks over the past 15-20 years).

Advertisement
Apparently, it's already been bought - by another gaming company who thinks they'll be the one who finally convinces this State's legislature to get out of bed with the Seminoles.

Land in Miami is bought and sold all the time.

And speaking of purchases, I'm trying to remember the name of the group that acquired the Hard Rock name and properties...

Anyhow, whoever acquired Hard Rock probably has the capital and connections to wear out any competitors...

Primary issues with InterMiami site include (possible) limitations on stadium HEIGHT due to MIA flight paths (thus limiting capacity generally, and luxury boxes specifically), as well as some of the InterMiami/Melreese parking will be underground.

My suggestion with the Magic City/dirt-mall location is to use the proximity of that location PLUS InterMiami's site for additional parking (linked by a game-day shuttle). This would apply to both sites, InterMiami uses the football area for extra parking, and the football stadium uses InterMiami for additional parking.

With the Mas brothers owning InterMiami, there are definitely possibilities for synergy. After all...we use DRV PNK for the spring games...
Also "dirty" secret of site....

significant ****nic contamination...not a big deal for use, but utility/underground construction costs will be $$$$$$$$

Advertisement
Land in Miami is bought and sold all the time.

And speaking of purchases, I'm trying to remember the name of the group that acquired the Hard Rock name and properties...

Anyhow, whoever acquired Hard Rock probably has the capital and connections to wear out any competitors...
Yeah. I think my exact response to rsa when he told me magic city is off the table because someone already bought it was - if it was sold once it can be sold again.

I dont think you understand the new student body. a lot has changed since you attended. more and more care less about the program once theyre gone and there are many that dont give back once theyre gone. trust me, there are a lot kids I graduated with that have nothing to do w the school anymore other than throw up the U when they see it or watch games on Saturday.

the population has changed and so has the student.

Look, I'm going to try to be nice...

But I think that's some bull****.

I "don't understand the new student body"? Whatever. I'm so ooooold. I don't know how these young whippersnappers be today...

And "the population has changed"? Meanwhile there's news report after news report, and study after study that have shown a connection between the collegiate experience (classes, fun, sports, activities, etc.) and the general satisfaction and eventual alumnus support.

Are you trying to claim that Miami and Miami students are unicorns? And that this "disaffected alum" stuff only happens with UM grads, but not the rest of the alums of the major universities in this country?

I am not saying that everyone behaves identically. I realize that there are selfish self-oriented people such as @Canedude08 who "chose to buy season tickets while an undergrad" and "opted out of paying the athletic fee" because you somehow couldn't make any friends with your fellow classmates. I get it.

But "you just don't understand kidz today" is not a reflection of what 100 other universities are seeing, nor evidenced by the steps that those universities have taken towards creating an active student population that then turns into an active alum population.

Have some things changed? Sure. Are there new challenges? Absolutely. But these universities are definitely taking action to try to turn students into contributing alums.

Last edited:
Look, I'm going to try to be as nice as possible...

But that's absolute BULL****.

I expected the whole "boomer, let me tell you how us kids like to wild out today" nonsense, but this is just hilarious.

Sure, I "don't understand the new student body". Sure. Whatever. I'm so ooooold. I don't know how these young whippersnappers be today...

And "the population has changed". Sure. Meanwhile there's news report after news report, and study after study that have shown a connection between the collegiate experience (classes, fun, sports, activities, etc.) and the general satisfaction and eventual alumnus support.

Or are you trying to claim that Miami and Miami students are unicorns? And that this "disaffected alum" bullcrap only happens with UM grads, but not the rest of the alums of the major universities in this country?

I am not saying that everyone behaves identically. I realize that there are selfish self-oriented people such as yourself who "chose to buy season tickets while an undergrad" and "opted out of paying the athletic fee" because you somehow couldn't make any friends with your fellow classmates. I get it.

But your snobbish "you just don't understand kidz today, man" bullcrap is not a reflection of what 100 other universities are seeing, nor evidenced by the steps that those universities have taken towards creating an active student population that then turns into an active alum population.

Have some things changed? Sure. Are there new challenges? Absolutely. But your ridiculous responses are just typical of the "give-up" reaction that some young people have today. Nothing can be done. There are no solutions. People just don't care, man.

Whatevs.

ok. thats a lot of words for saying I disagree.

also, youre snobbish a ton on here so you should look into the mirror.

anyways, youre a nice dude so idont want to get into a. back and forth about an unrealistic thing that ill never see in my lifetime.

also, idk who bought season tickets in undergrad but that wasn't me. I got mine through the Athletic fee that we all paid lol. maybe keep your CIS fights straight. thanks for calling me selfish incorrectly though and assuming I can't make friends. I could respond w a ton of names but like I said I like you as a poster on here so I wont resort to name calling in that sense.

Advertisement
ive been donating to UM yearly since I graduated.
F94DDB12-5640-4BFE-A57C-ECF686F5687D.gif

Guess we need to find a few more folks to help us out.

I've said it for a while now, but the generations coming up don't care about sports anywhere close to as much as they once did. Schools better enjoy the television revenue they're getting now as once the 60 to 70 year old crowd dies off, it's going to be a free fall in sports revenue. Same for salaries of the players in the pro's.

There will always be a sports fans, but it's on the decline.

While you can debate the percentages of fans who show up to live events vs. "watch-it-on-TV"...

...sports is enormously popular. More than ever. Women's sports are seeing growth too. Merch. TV ratings. Websites like this one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Also "dirty" secret of site....

significant ****nic contamination...not a big deal for use, but utility/underground construction costs will be $$$$$$$$

Oh, DEFINITELY agree on the chemical issues. Universal Studios was going to purchase an old Martin-Marietta (Lockheed) site in Orlando...and then they did the research. And the Pritzker family from Chicago (Hyatt Hotels) bought the old US Navy Training Center in Orlando to redevelop it, and of all places, the old base dry-cleaner shop was the most polluted area of all (which is a separate issue from why you put a Navy Training Center in Orlando in the first place).

As for the utility/underground stuff, that is where the Mas brothers are lucky to have inherited MasTec!

ok. thats a lot of words for saying I disagree.

also, youre snobbish a ton on here so you should look into the mirror.

anyways, youre a nice dude so idont want to get into a. back and forth about an unrealistic thing that ill never see in my lifetime.

also, idk who bought season tickets in undergrad but that wasn't me. I got mine through the Athletic fee that we all paid lol. maybe keep your CIS fights straight. thanks for calling me selfish incorrectly though and assuming I can't make friends. I could respond w a ton of names but like I said I like you as a poster on here so I wont resort to name calling in that sense.

Oh, man, I'm sorry, that was @Canedude08 . Sorry, I thought I was responding to him. My apologies.

As for being snobbish, I shouldn't have to apologize for knowing a lot of stuff. Blessing/curse. The people who know me on here know I'm not a snob, just a guy who will argue hard for what he knows about and believes in.

Again, apologies on the mixup with the guy who actually did purchase season tickets in order to opt out of paying his Athletic Fee.

I've said it for a while now, but the generations coming up don't care about sports anywhere close to as much as they once did. Schools better enjoy the television revenue they're getting now as once the 60 to 70 year old crowd dies off, it's going to be a free fall in sports revenue. Same for salaries of the players in the pro's.

There will always be a sports fans, but it's on the decline.
Normally we’re on the same page, but the age demographics says otherwise.

Attachments

• 694E78D5-4C37-40AC-897F-DB11C26126DA.jpeg
    694E78D5-4C37-40AC-897F-DB11C26126DA.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 9
Advertisement
Back