Coaching Mario Cristobal on Joe Rose, Monday 10/10

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m really getting tired of the “not enough talent” line. Everything else was good to hear from coach.
truth hurts? there is a different talent. High school talent doesn't automatically turn into colleg talent. same goes for college talent to NFL talent.

He simply said we dont have enough talent to make mistakes and still win big. He isn't wrong.

Agree completely.

A work in progress and that's most teams which is something we've been for years. There's been nothing special about us in a while.

I will never excuse MTSU, that was bad. Southern Miss half was bad, but we won. This loss though, the win was there for the taking and we came up short. ****, A&M was there as well, but didn't make enough plays.

He's right on a few plays being the difference. UNC is literally neck and neck in talent compared to us, so again I'm fine with it. No clue why people were losing their **** but maybe it's a cumulative effect.

It baffles my mind sometimes with these coaches. We as fans see things quicker than the coaches, now granted a lot of have been fans of football for 20,30, 40.
years.
Some of said exactly that about the offense. We were playing with ZERO tempo and looking at the sidelines waaaayyyyyyy too much. How does any O coord implement that philosophy to begin with, and how does it tale so long to adjust. Spread the g dam field and go go go. And yet still we scored 24 on a freakin bad defense. There is still lots nd lots and lots of work to do. Buy my goodness at the very least they recognized the tempo part. It's a start.

Advertisement
Agree completely.

A work in progress and that's most teams which is something we've been for years. There's been nothing special about us in a while.

I will never excuse MTSU, that was bad. Southern Miss half was bad, but we won. This loss though, the win was there for the taking and we came up short. ****, A&M was there as well, but didn't make enough plays.

He's right on a few plays being the difference. UNC is literally neck and neck in talent compared to us, so again I'm fine with it. No clue why people were losing their **** but maybe it's a cumulative effect.
They actually have a few guys that would start here easily in key positions of need. Downs and Grimes are 100% starters here.

I’m really getting tired of the “not enough talent” line. Everything else was good to hear from coach.
We have enough talent to win, but not enough to blow teams out is how I perceived his comments.

As far as the comments about “mistakes,” it’s the coaching staff’s job to minimize those. We shouldn’t be seeing blown coverages anymore — simple as that. Get that crap fixed. Teams are going to score on this defense no matter what, but we can’t keep making it so easy.

The reason we lost the A&M and UNC games is because they made us work for everything. It was classic bend, don’t break. I can just hear those coaching staffs now, “who cares how many first downs they get, eventually they will make a mistake because that’s what UM does!” We did exactly what they expected by prolonging those drives — the Rooster fumble, dropped passes, WRs falling down out of their break, etc.

Unfortunately, this comment capsulizes the current state of Miami football. Will need to win ugly & not talented or explosive enough to overcome self-inflicted mistakes.

-" At our current talent level we’re going to be in a lot of close games that come down to the wire, to the fourth quarter. So ball security, re-pointing a Mike when he walks outside, maintaining leverage on a pass rush so a guy doesn’t escape and he moves the chains and they exchange a drive, those things have to show up consistently when we practice for them to show up consistently in the games in the most critical moments. Because these games are going to come down to 3, 4, 5, 8 plays. So they have to show up better in practice to show up better in the game. And we’re working on it.”

Advertisement
He didnt say that about Tyrique at all. He said "obviously Tyrique needs to get his hands on the reciever and reroute him". Thats my biggest complaint about both Ivey (MTSU) and Tyrique at least twice this season getting burnt. They dont put their hands on the recievers before passing them off into the next zone. Cant let wr go full speed into the safeties zone. Will get Kam and Williams burnt alot. Plus watch that play again, James Williams takes the rb in the flat, no reason for Tyrique to avoid contact with wr and leave him so fast.

And i will add that yes i recognize Kam f**** up. Mario said that too. But Tyrique knew where he was supposed to end up on the play and forgot all the technique he was supposed to use getting there fast. It happens but when 2 guys both make mistakes on same play thats when big plays happen. If he bumps wr, Mayes throw is off or Kam might have a chance to recover and make the tackle because wr isnt already in a full sprint. Its on both dbs.
We can argue over technique all you want. But reality is, Kam wasnt where he was supposed to be. He gambled on a crossing route..Did you watch Coach Hayes "Good, Bad, and Ugly" youtube breakdown? If not, check it out. He flat out breaks that play down and how Kam was out of position.

Alot of posters owe TS an apology. I said in another thread that after looking at film breakdowns people will realize these safeties are hanging him out to dry. And TS has caught alot of flack on here.

Glad that Mario made a point to say that TVD played lights out because he absolutely did. To pass for almost 500 yards in this BS offense is something im looking at if im an NFL scout. Did any Michigan QB pass for even 300 yards in this offense last year at all?

Im glad that Mario is admitting that we dont have enough natural talent across the board to lolly gag around as much as we do. We come out flat and we play like we have this "We are going to somehow win this anyway because well..we are the U!" attitude. I felt that at the MTSU game. That the players just knew we were going to win at some point so they were just waiting for the W to just fall in their lap. Not sure why either! Smh. Thats on the coaches IMO. These kids need some internal humbling of some sort.
It was hilarious how bad it was in game thread, there were people who wanted to blame Avantae and he wasnt even on field, lol.. I still dont get how the excuse used to not play Avantae is because he will bust coverage and he missed a tackle against bethune but when others actually bust coverages nothing changes, what kinda precedent does that set?!

They actually have a few guys that would start here easily in key positions of need. Downs and Grimes are 100% starters here.

Oh, for sure.

Some just have this delusion that we should beat UNC because we're the U. Talent is on par for sure and they made a few more plays to win it.

**** though, 4 downs from the 2. The entire offense and staff should be kicking themselves over that. That's a game winner if we punch it in. Even a field goal and we play some more football. We had this game.

Advertisement
Anybody that says these interviews are a waste of time is wrong, at least sometimes. This was an informative interview. I LOVE they adapted things to the kids on offense. At this point, I want to see this team rebound, show heart and give us a season like 2016. That team went 9-4 with a bowl win and then followed that up with our best season (2017) in over a decade. It starts with Va Tech. Score early and often, get some more confidence.

It was hilarious how bad it was in game thread, there were people who wanted to blame Avantae and he wasnt even on field, lol.. I still dont get how the excuse used to not play Avantae is because he will bust coverage and he missed a tackle against bethune but when others actually bust coverages nothing changes, what kinda precedent does that set?!
Kam (who I love as a playmaker) is one of those players that gets alot of passes around here. And the reality he, he F'd up twice in this game and cost us big plays which lead to TDs both times. If that had been any other S not named Kam...the board would have already been submitting his transfer paperwork for him. Kam is our best playmaker. But he thinks hes Ed Reed. Takes too many chances and loses more often that not and gives up huge plays.

Don't think that has anything to do with it. Supposedly it's more about practice habits... Mario is a stickler on the practice aspect. He says it every time he speaks to the press. maybe it's a battle of wills right now...

He didnt say that about Tyrique at all. He said "obviously Tyrique needs to get his hands on the reciever and reroute him". Thats my biggest complaint about both Ivey (MTSU) and Tyrique at least twice this season getting burnt. They dont put their hands on the recievers before passing them off into the next zone. Cant let wr go full speed into the safeties zone. Will get Kam and Williams burnt alot. Plus watch that play again, James Williams takes the rb in the flat, no reason for Tyrique to avoid contact with wr and leave him so fast.

And i will add that yes i recognize Kam f**** up. Mario said that too. But Tyrique knew where he was supposed to end up on the play and forgot all the technique he was supposed to use getting there fast. It happens but when 2 guys both make mistakes on same play thats when big plays happen. If he bumps wr, Mayes throw is off or Kam might have a chance to recover and make the tackle because wr isnt already in a full sprint. Its on both dbs.
Even if he gets his hands on him, it doesnt matter because Kam was jumping a route that was already covered! Wtf.. Even if he reroutes to a safety the safety still has to be over the top doing his job! Not trying to do anyone else's job trying to jump shallow routes. Watch the play, everyone can see who is responsible for deep coverage, the announcer, the coach says it, everyone can see it, the short players are covered, what is he doing??!

Advertisement
Back