Mario Cristobal got paid record amount in 2022

And for the record, this is because FOR-PROFIT corporations have a disallowed deduction for exec comp over $1M, thus the disallowed portion gets taxed at 21% (I just computed this for some of the execs at my company).

Since a non-profit "doesn't pay taxes", the 21% excise tax puts them on a level playing field with for-profit companies.

1713365232901.png

Advertisement
Last year was technically his first year with his staff and recruits. The year before he was thrown into the fray and had to plug holes, I don't count that year against him, yes he made some bad coaching decision last year but he deserves an opportunity to right the ship. I reserve judgment before saying his first 2 years were a "failure".
Cat Love GIF by Bare Tree Media

Doing a great job covering for him

Advertisement
I knew Mario was one of the top HC's in the nation but how did he get like an extra 10-12 million in incentives or whatever after this 8-10 million annual salary?

Anyway, you can call this a massive rebuild which it is in some ways be but that shouldn't stop Miami from winning 8 games a year. Absolutely must win big in 2024 and going forward.

If he loses to UF, which this place claims is trash with a trash coach, then he is trash and should get banner planed...
The UF game will be make or break for him. I believe we win that game and we win 10+ games, lose and you’re looking at another disastrous 7-5, 6-6 campaign for Cristobal. He will not recover from losing for the Gators.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I knew Mario was one of the top HC's in the nation but how did he get like an extra 10-12 million in incentives or whatever after this 8-10 million annual salary?

Anyway, you can call this a massive rebuild which it is in some ways be but that shouldn't stop Miami from winning 8 games a year. Absolutely must win big in 2024 and going forward.

He.

Didn't.

He had a $9.9M contract buyout at Oregon. The PERSON has to pay the buyout personally, his new employer cannot.

Mario was given $14.9M (grossed up for federal and state income tax, so that he would have $9.9M after-tax), and Mario then took that money and paid Oregon and the IRS. Very simple.

At the end of the transaction, all Mario had in the bank was his base-salary (after-tax).

Oregon buyout. It has to be paid by the employee, so the school ups his salary to cover it post taxes, to where he can make said payment. Standard operating procedure.

Advertisement
Cat Love GIF by Bare Tree Media

Doing a great job covering for him
Covering? Giving the guy a legit shot now that he's converted the O line, D line and roster along with new coaches to fit was he's wanting? If you're not excited about the current changes after decades of crap now I don't know what to tell you. Dude has earned his opportunity to see if he succeeds.

Covering? Giving the guy a legit shot now that he's converted the O line, D line and roster along with new coaches to fit was he's wanting? If you're not excited about the current changes after decades of crap now I don't know what to tell you. Dude has earned his opportunity to see if he succeeds.
Earned it? Earned it how? Have you not seen his record in the ACC or overall since he's been here?

My bad, he didn't have the perfect conditions to come in and win at least 8 games, or not lose to MTSU so he's excused lol

Advertisement
Back