Luke Chaney of 247 talks Canes hoops Portal targets and recruiting

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

The Canes were one of the most disappointing teams in the country this year. But as we saw in 21-22, things can turn around quickly. Luke Chaney of 247 and the Miami Hurricane joined the CanesInSight Daily Podcast to discuss the future of Canes Hoops:

On the Portal: I expect Miami to be a lot more active in the Portal this year. Some of that will probably be by necessity because there will be more vacant roster spots than there was a year ago. They also have those two...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
1710686900874.png
1710686868341.png

1710686936842.png

Advertisement
Casey was a bust.. Watson I thought had potential. I'd be really surprised if Robinson sticks around.

Possibly only one big? Has Larranaga learned nothing
POSSIBLY. It's also POSSIBLE that Coach L gets outed as a long time serial killer tomorrow, doesn't mean that it's going to happen. No one knows anything, but let's keep running with this. L knows full well that he can't go into a season with only Nwoko and possibly Omier.

Nwoko will be much, much better if he works hard during off season. I think we take 2 bigs if Norchad leaves. We need at least 2 long wings who can produce and actually play some defense.
Correct. They'll add a big regardless but if Norchad leaves, they'll need 2.

Advertisement
Thanks Captain Obvious. Some real riveting takes on your part.
Dude, get a life. All you do is provide snarky commentary to people's posts on this board. You must be real fun at parties and a true joy to be around.

I made the point because last season, we sat around and let a lot of talented prospects go without getting involved. Some of that was our Final 4 appearance. We obviously aren't in the same boat now, and should take advantage of our head start.

Last 4 high school recruiting classes:

2020:
Timberlake - couldn't play, gone after 1 year
Cross - didn't even make it 1 year because he didn't smile enough

2021:
Robinson - can't play
Poplar - fine role player who gets exposed when asked to do too much
Joseph - fine role player who gets exposed when asked to do too much

2022:
Watson - couldn't play, gone after 2 years
Casey - couldn't play, gone after 2 years
Aire - couldn't play, gone after 1 year
Jovanovich - couldn't play, gone after 1 year

2023:
Nwoko - looks like a slightly more fluid Aire imo (UPDATE: gone after 1 year)
George - pretty good, but likely gone after 1 year
Djobet - probably a decent role player

An entire collegiate cycle, and we got 3 decent role players, and 1 goodish player who'll probably only be here for 1 season. 12 players total, and at least 6 of them were objectively terrible. Seems bad to me idk

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dude, get a life. All you do is provide snarky commentary to people's posts on this board. You must be real fun at parties and a true joy to be around.

I made the point because last season, we sat around and let a lot of talented prospects go without getting involved. Some of that was our Final 4 appearance. We obviously aren't in the same boat now, and should take advantage of our head start.
You're the king of armchair quarterbacking. Do you have any idea of how active they were in the portal they were last year? I know for a fact that they tried to fill multiple roster spots (they really wanted a replacement for Wong) but simply lost out on the targets they were after. Blame the staff for that if you'd like but this whole 'they sat around and did nothing' shtick is an extremely uninformed take.

Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like this was in the works for a bit. Larranaga explicitly talking about Nwoko playing with Norchad next year was probably a retention pitch. Think he can develop into a good big and probably the first true ‘loss’ as far as attrition but we needed a complete overhaul of the roster

Advertisement
You're the king of armchair quarterbacking. Do you have any idea of how active they were in the portal they were last year? I know for a fact that they tried to fill multiple roster spots (they really wanted a replacement for Wong) but simply lost out on the targets they were after. Blame the staff for that if you'd like but this whole 'they sat around and did nothing' shtick is an extremely uninformed take.
Don't think we "sat around and did nothing." But we were often late to the punch. Hope to see that not be the case again this time.

Don't think we "sat around and did nothing." But we were often late to the punch. Hope to see that not be the case again this time.
Again, I ask how are you so sure they were even late to pursue kids? This is all complete assumption

...But also true that we WERE involved in several highly talented portal players, and couldn't get them here (except Cleveland). Could it be Coach L's system, outdatedness, the weather, the fans, the porsters? or N.I.L

I think money talks, and empty wallets walk. I hope i'm wrong and/or hope it's different this year. If Coach L is going to need a half dozen high-priced transfers as everyone is heading out, I can't imagine him happy about thin basketball wallets (if that develops, as I fear) ... and if anything leads to an unexpected early retirement, this may be the kicker.

Advertisement
Back