Coaching Looks are Deceiving....

Advertisement
I think the Canes of that era could have easily adjusted their defensive scheme to thwart today's type of offenses. It's ALL in the players and those teams definitely had players.
I recall when Houston came down with their run and shoot offense averaging like 50+ points a game or something ridiculous like that and they thought they would throw up and down the field on us until they saw our linebackers were running stride for stride with their receivers.

I think we hold our own with today's offenses.

I think the Canes of that era could have easily adjusted their defensive scheme to thwart today's type of offenses. It's ALL in the players and those teams definitely had players.

It's not the scheme so much, it's the technique. Our CBs, especially Ryan McNeil, would be getting flagged every play due to their physical style. Now I still think we'd win with our pass rush, but it'll be ugly.

Advertisement
I think Lubick was from the Dakotas or Montana but in OP's photo he looks more like a like the assistant gm of a 1970's Cadillac dealership actually in Lubbock, Texas.

thats what she said
The Office Thats GIF

Advertisement
Those were good times. If I remember correctly Lubick wasn’t big on blitzing either. Just lined up and said beat us if you can and most didn’t. Fast and nasty as a whole. More gang tackles than you could ever believe. 11 Canes on the ball pretty much.

Go Canes!

I recall when Houston came down with their run and shoot offense averaging like 50+ points a game or something ridiculous like that and they thought they would throw up and down the field on us until they saw our linebackers were running stride for stride with their receivers.

That was a brutal night for Houston's program in OB.

Advertisement

We not only won, but destroyed Houston's program fir the next decade..

The OB was electric that Thursday night!

Miami bad boys humble Houston in 40-10 win

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back