Larry Coker

Advertisement
Proving to be a good HC at a low level. He got swallowed up here by what used to be very high expectations and a staff that probably didn't respect him enough. Lots of divisiveness on that staff. If he took over for Shannon instead of when he did when the expectations were so high he probably would have survived.

Don't minimize his achievements as an OC. They guy failed badly here as HC but knew how to use talent on the offensive side of the ball in-game.

I get that he wasn't the kinda guy that could continue the greatness on his own, but never say that a man that held the crystal failed badly. Even if that team was the greatest college football team ever assembled, you still have to put the wins on the board.

636.jpg

Edit: image upload fail

Last edited:
Glad for him. Not his fault administration hired him above his ability. Only thing I have against him was firing all our great coaches to save his job.

Cant help but root for him. Dude is super nice and easy to root for. Hope he continues doing well at UTSA.

Advertisement
Don't minimize his achievements as an OC. They guy failed badly here as HC but knew how to use talent on the offensive side of the ball in-game.

Was one crappy call away from winning 2 National Championships.

Everyone always says, "it was Butch's team."
It was also Coker's team. He was the OC who helped make that that team coaching and recruiting wise.

Personally, I think his downfall came with the dependence upon internet recruiting.
We started recruiting based on stars, whereas before we always went after the best football players and the eyeball test.

I get that he wasn't the kinda guy that could continue the greatness on his own, but never say that a man that held the crystal failed badly. Even if that team was the greatest college football team ever assembled, you still have to put the wins on the board.

1.jpg

+100000
None of his successors have done anything close to him and if failing is going to two titles then everyone not named Brown, Saban, Miles and Meyer are failures... The guy couldn't sustain success but his resume speaks volumes... Its jut that he couldn't adapt the changing landscape of college football...

Advertisement

636.jpg

He actually won 2 straight NCs here. So, that's a pretty serious accomplishment.

636.jpg

He actually won 2 straight NCs here. So, that's a pretty serious accomplishment.

I was having a nice saturday watching college football, why'd you have to bring that up? Still irks me to no end to this day. That was my freshman year.

Advertisement
Back