Kyshawn George Intends to Enter NBA Draft

Advertisement
This might be the worst draft in the modern era. He’ll get picked somewhere. Also, y’all should be rooting for him. Going from unranked recruit to draft pick in 12 months is going to be a heck of a recruiting pitch for the staff
I'll root for him, but I just don't see it. He's not even a very good college player at this point. Just a kid with potential. But if that's what they're drafting on now, then good for him.

He was an unranked prospect that was playing in the second division of French professional basketball. Zero chance he thought he was going to be one-and-done.

The Clemson and Wake game performances in January put him on a lot of radars
You could cite more games that should have taken him off radars too. Maybe he hit the freshman wall but he disappeared for the team down the stretch.

Also, he better learn to elevate on his jumper. That set shot won't work in the league.

Advertisement
Best thing for him would probably be going somewhere like Memphis in the early second where they develop well and he wouldn’t be expected to do much right away because they’ll be deep as **** next year. Also having JJJ would take some of the pressure for him to become a good defender off, he could be more of that spacing 4 if he’s able to put some weight on.

This might be the worst draft in the modern era. He’ll get picked somewhere. Also, y’all should be rooting for him. Going from unranked recruit to draft pick in 12 months is going to be a heck of a recruiting pitch for the staff
This draft being so *** is a reason that George and Poplar will probably stay in the draft. There are no proven producers at any level(college or pro) projected to go highly, and the guys that did produce like Edey and Knecht are older or outdated as players and are projected lower. This draft is all about projection and "potential". George with his intangibles such as height and age plus shooting 41% from 3 will get him in the top 35 at least. Poplar despite literally not knowing how to dribble or really play basketball at all shot 39% from 3 this year(around 50% pre injury) and is also one of the most explosive athletes in CBB, despite never using it or showing it for some reason. He will likely do good enough at the combine(athletic testing/spot up shooting) to convince some team that they can teach him how to play basketball. He'll go in the Wong/Jordan Miller range I think. Omier not a shot he's getting drafted he needs to stay.

Advertisement
The only way I see him exceeding in the NBA is to significantly bulk up and become a stretch 4.

I think he lacks the athleticism to survive at the 3.
I think he needs a year or two to adjust to his body. Not that he was a great athlete to begin with but growing significantly in a short span will tend to make you play super uncoordinated and unathletic until you adjust to your new size and length. I think he looked much better at the end of the season movement wise than at the start, but still has a ways to go before being considered even an average athlete at the NBA level. I think his problem is he doesn't know his role at all, if he played a more unselfish brand of winning basketball while handling the ball he could even be considered a combo guard, but he can't put any pressure on the rim and takes literally all his shots as 3s.

This draft being so *** is a reason that George and Poplar will probably stay in the draft. There are no proven producers at any level(college or pro) projected to go highly, and the guys that did produce like Edey and Knecht are older or outdated as players and are projected lower. This draft is all about projection and "potential". George with his intangibles such as height and age plus shooting 41% from 3 will get him in the top 35 at least. Poplar despite literally not knowing how to dribble or really play basketball at all shot 39% from 3 this year(around 50% pre injury) and is also one of the most explosive athletes in CBB, despite never using it or showing it for some reason. He will likely do good enough at the combine(athletic testing/spot up shooting) to convince some team that they can teach him how to play basketball. He'll go in the Wong/Jordan Miller range I think. Omier not a shot he's getting drafted he needs to stay.
Wooga could potentially play himself into a late second round slot. At worst he will get a summer league invite. He was disappointing relative to expectations but he still averaged 13 and 5 on 43/38.5/86. Only 21 years old which will help him too.

this is why the NBA sucks. this kid will be rewarded as a first round pick and likely wind up a bust.
The NFL does their own version of this at a lesser rate. In both professional leagues, there are dozens of guys who have been taking advantage of busts’ early rewards and retiring with more money than them.

Both recruiting and drafting have improved over time and yet they will never reach a perfect equilibrium. That’s what the games are for.

Best thing for him would probably be going somewhere like Memphis in the early second where they develop well and he wouldn’t be expected to do much right away because they’ll be deep as **** next year. Also having JJJ would take some of the pressure for him to become a good defender off, he could be more of that spacing 4 if he’s able to put some weight on.
I actually think that is a bad spot for him because they will be ready to compete right away after a down year. Memphis has had the most success with super productive, versatile college players. Obviously George does not fit that mold.

Their one and dones picks were underperforming 5* and seems like they went 50/50 (GG + ZW - ). Wherever he goes, i think it is best if it is a team like the Spurs/Pistons where he will have a leash to make mistakes or GSW/Suns type team with a lot of veterans. The difference between the latter teams and Memphis is that Memphis’ team leaders are all in their early to mid 20s.

Nets/Magic could be interesting for his development too. The nuggets took a similar unproven one and done in Peyton Watson who seems to fit into a niche role.

Honestly think he is making a real bad decision because he could be a lottery pick with a strong second year; or more prepared to adapt in any situation.
You could cite more games that should have taken him off radars too. Maybe he hit the freshman wall but he disappeared for the team down the stretch.

Also, he better learn to elevate on his jumper. That set shot won't work in the league.
he is 6’8. That is a tough shot to block; he will be fine. He will just need some cushion like Tyrese Haliburton shoots.

Advertisement
I respect Wong more and more. Dude stayed in college and improved his game the old fashioned way.
Wong also enjoyed being in college, he was active on campus and really believed in the program. George comes from a different part of the world, he just wants to ball and doesn't really care for a lot of the collegiate experience, from what I've heard.

Advertisement
A definite red flag:

please respect my decision please no paparazzi , I know what’s best for my family.

Wong also enjoyed being in college, he was active on campus and really believed in the program. George comes from a different part of the world, he just wants to ball and doesn't really care for a lot of the collegiate experience, from what I've heard.
tbh tho wong wasnt getting first round grades either. if he were getting first round grades, he'd have left the first time he declared

Advertisement
Back