Coaching Josh Pate Late Kick Live tonight: Talks Mario's staff

This guy gets it...when he said "when's the last Saban/Kirby/Dabo knew by name the full coaching staff at UM"...that was telling. Because they know now, and those guys know us even keeping a moderate share of our own elite FL based kids, it changes the power landscape in a major way.

Mario in FL, Jimbo in TX, and Riley in Cali, and is going to help restore some of that competitive balance that's been lost in college football. Probably should throw Kelly in Louisiana in there too because he's an elite coach that will lock down his state for the most part as well.

Advertisement
Especially if Riley can lock up Cali and Texas kids stay in state.
I listen to the podcast that Andy Staples and Ari Wasserman put on and they have been saying this pretty much since Mario was hired - that between Mario in Miami, Riley in Cali and potentially Sark in Texas, Napier, Kelly, etc that just maybe the top tier recruits get spread out enough to where the same 3 or 4 (and lately 2) programs arent so dominant.

You man don't understand the implications of hotbed schools holding their hometown players. You see those layers of depth Saban and UGA etc have? Thats what goes away. So when you play them they will have top talent as always. Its when they get injuries or have to sub, that's when you can't just roll another 5 star in there, maybe he is a low 4 star that needs some development, as their primary target went Miami, Texas or USC.

As for us, I have seen this before. Lots of teams can stack talented college football players on one rosters. I have yet to see a team replicate NFL all of famers on the same roster, like 3,4, 5 even plus others who were on the edge. Its a different animal when it clicks for us.

I didn't have a problem with Saban's comments.
I don't have a problem with the comments in a vacuum, but since every Bama fan knows exactly who Saban is talking about, he really trashed those kids. Now maybe he is right and they deserve to be trashed for not having themselves ready to play. Or maybe he is wrong and Williams and Metchie are special and the next few are not AND did work their hardest but just aren't ever going to be at the same level.

Right or wrong, because of his success, Saban assumes every guy they have is as good as the guy in front of him if he works hard enough. Maybe, but maybe not. There was an obvious drop off at the WR position for Bama without the 2 starters. We will find out next year if the backups didn't work hard enough or if they are just not as talented.

But **** he called them out more directly than I can recall a coach doing, maybe ever.

Advertisement
@Josh Pate

Make yourself at home. Help yourself to the fridge.
Yep and at the time he wasn’t wrong… we had to put up to shut up and that’s what’s happened. He is one of the more reasonable CFB talk shows out there
Well, he was wrong in that he said we couldn't do it--which is what caused him to eat that piece of paper during one of his shows.

I'm in the belief he gets elites in sfla and mixes it with national guys. Sfla kids love competition and they will want to play with OOS phenoms. I'm super convinced without a shadow of a doubt he does this. I was never confident in other staffs being able to do this even MR. Now this is a different animal from top to bottom. Trust me it will happen I believe it so much nothing can shake it. I could be wrong but my belief is through the roof based on Mario and everyone up top the money and the staffers we have brought in.

I also want to add Lincoln isn't some beast recruiter. He is a schematic beast but just like Cali kids are looking for hope and an excuse to go to USC and UM. He went to USC knowing it's easier there when they are committed than OU. He wasn't ever going to beat the SEC and blue bloods at OU never. No matter what gameplay he came up with it was over in the playoffs. Same thing Saban said if u watch the whole video. Saban said once his two star wrs got hurt it was over. UGA couldn't cover JW or Metchie and they didn't have another guy on the bench as explosive as those two. Although still good u need elite kids to win one on ones to make your gameplay work. UGA won the game as soon as those guys went down. Saban said it nicely but he's right it's about the players...he wasn't going to say yo the other guys suck but he basically did in a nice way. Got to give him props he keeps it 100
I agree Mario is going to cherry pick nationally to make up for Bama, Ga and ATM poaching SF. Similar to what he did landing Moss. We gonna be alright.

Advertisement
We can have the best coaching in the world, let's RELAX, no talent, no wins. Believe me I want the best for our team. It will take a while to stay in the TOP 10 and win some BOWL GAMES.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back