Jayden Wayne to the portal

Advertisement
Bain/McConathy/Blount
Clark/Moten/Scott
Cook/Campbell/Horton/Gore/Jones
Mesidor/Alston/Bryant/Lightfoot

We currently have 15 DL, not sure where Pickett and Rudolph are lining up, so lets go 16. How many DL do you normally carry?

People are jumping off bridges, and its definitly not a #'s problem. It would be a #4 DT production, and a #4 DE production and experience problem.

You’re talking pure numbers. There is no context at all. Yes, 15, but how many of those are completely unproven or need a lot of work in the weight room? A lot. Of the 15, not sure how many are true rotational players at this point.

His HS production was insane. My guess is he has a very high floor. No sure how high his ceiling is. But it's possible his floor is already what convinced coaches not to try to stop Wayne from leaving. It's still shiny object syndrome. At one point, if you invest as heavily as Mario's staff and NIL have done in high school recruiting, you got to figure out how to develop more than a handful each class.
Again, Miami needs to get below 85 to be active in the portal. He was given his post-spring assessment and he decided to transfer. No more complicated than that.

Advertisement
Depth Chart Currently

DE: Bain, Mcconathy, Campbell/Portal
DE: Messidor, Alston, Malik Bryant

Reserves: Blount, Booker Pickett

We good.
mesidor is always hurt and makes joel embiid seem like cal ripkin. the other guys are freshman. bryant hasnt done a single thing his entire career.

Wayne had 0.5 sack to put it into context, rudy doubled his stats and fictitiously got carried off the field playing one snap
People just can’t seem to grasp this is the new college football. NIL and the portal allow kids to move easily and let coaches push kids out. It’s not just us; every single school has or will deal with these type of transfers to highly recruited guys.

And to those complaining we now have “unproven” talent, exactly what has Wayne “proven” to this point? Because he played snaps? That’s like saying Big Lou gives us “proven postseason experience.” Wayne was just as unproven as the new guys.

We should expect this every season. We recruit top talent, therefore we will lose top talent every year. Recruits/players want to start and if they aren't starting by year 2, you have to know other teams/agents are in their ear.

I hate the portal for this exact reason. I like to follow recruits and see them grow into starters. We do not have that luxury now. Kids bail for better opportunities now. It sucks but that is college football in 2024.

Advertisement
Wayne had 0.5 sack to put it into context, rudy doubled his stats and fictitiously got carried off the field playing one snap
yup, 13 total tackles and .5 sacks. Who knows what went on behind the scenes. It sucks cause I like to follow recruits and they progress in their careers but it isnt possible in the NIL era.

mesidor is always hurt and makes joel embiid seem like cal ripkin. the other guys are freshman. bryant hasnt done a single thing his entire career.
Ok I understand Mesidor got injured last season super early and basically missed the entire year. But I'm very confused by this narrative that Mesidor is always hurt and basically an after thought on the DL.

He played in 9 games in 2020 as a TF at WV.
He played in 13 games in 2021 at WV.
He played in 11 games in 2022 at Miami.
Obviously was injured last year.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have some injury concerns but it's not like he's made of glass. This is not that ridiculous of an injury plagued type of career.

Don’t think the same decision would have been made if it wasn’t chips all in on 2024.

12-13 record after 2 years will force your hand

Im not sure there’s a lot more to Wayne’s game than he’s shown. He just lacks burst and bend. He’s a smart football player with nothing to take him to another level.
I know it’s been thrown out a lot, but he’s the opposite of Cole. Idk what Cole will be in 3-4 years. But he’s impressed thus far. I’m disappointed in the portal as it stands, hope we’re cooking up something… even with the pending offensive infusion.

Ok I understand Mesidor got injured last season super early and basically missed the entire year. But I'm very confused by this narrative that Mesidor is always hurt and basically an after thought on the DL.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have some injury concerns but it's not like he's made of glass. This is not that ridiculous of an injury plagued type of career.

Look at you listening to the bozos here and thinking you have to make a reponse like this.

These ******* morons would tell you Cal Ripken Jr wasn't durable.

Advertisement

Thank you to this and FINALLY. Dont let the facts ruin a good BS narrative. People got short memories. Messidor was the only guy we had in 2022 that was worth a **** on that DL. Now all of a sudden people acting like hes been injured his entire career here. Smh.

I know it’s been thrown out a lot, but he’s the opposite of Cole. Idk what Cole will be in 3-4 years. But he’s impressed thus far. I’m disappointed in the portal as it stands, hope we’re cooking up something… even with the pending offensive infusion.
Disappointed in the portal as in who from us has entered or who we have targeted thus far on the defensive side?

Also, these guys are a "loss" it is never good to lose a recruit you had high hopes for and it did not pan out for whatever reason. Are they the difference in winning a game or two? Probably not. But still a loss.

Last note, we likely all have been following the portal tracker thread and you see @WeBallinBoyz and others post someone entering and say take or nah and we have a debate. We are obviously tied to Wayne and JHH so we have stronger opinions but say for a second JHH went to Syracuse from the jump and Wayne to Washington and they both entered the portal. Based on the College tape, potential etc. would the board want to take those guys? Or would it ***** and want to wait for some true stud?

Advertisement
Thank you to this and FINALLY. Dont let the facts ruin a good BS narrative. People got short memories. Messidor was the only guy we had in 2022 that was worth a **** on that DL. Now all of a sudden people acting like hes been injured his entire career here. Smh.
Ehhh idk man. The same foot injury twice and he needs special cleats now does not exactly scream healthy. I get his history makes him seem less injured but he played hurt a lot and at some point a 60% messidor is not as good as the guy behind him but a 100% messidor is arguably the best defensive player period.

And to the "Mario is doing bad evals" crew...Alot of teams would have struck out on Wayne. He was a top 50 player in the preseason. Now of course his ranking dropped a little..but he still could have gone to any program he wanted to pretty much.

And someone said it in here as well and it got looked over...Bain showing out as a TF didnt help his confidence AT ALL. Because now people are looking at Wayne with the side-eye.

The kid did the right thing. Go home and start over. I wouldnt be shocked if this was another "Elijah Roberts" situation where in 2 years we are watching Wayne on TV and he has 10 sacks and is playing solid ball for Washington. (or whatever team he goes to)

Ehhh idk man. The same foot injury twice and he needs special cleats now does not exactly scream healthy. I get his history makes him seem less injured but he played hurt a lot and at some point a 60% messidor is not as good as the guy behind him but a 100% messidor is arguably the best defensive player period.
True..but thats why we got Alston. Hes not an All American but he **** sure is proven. And hes hungry and motivated.

Advertisement
Back