Jayden Wayne to the portal

His HS production was insane. My guess is he has a very high floor. No sure how high his ceiling is. But it's possible his floor is already what convinced coaches not to try to stop Wayne from leaving. It's still shiny object syndrome. At one point, if you invest as heavily as Mario's staff and NIL have done in high school recruiting, you got to figure out how to develop more than a handful each class.
He's developing the entire roster. To act like anything less than that is simply not being genuine. But everyone can look at things however they wish obviously. All Americans, freshman all Americans, numerous all acc players be damned. If the objective apparently is they need to be playing anywhere near peak level as freshmans or even sophomores than maybe the problem is y'all with these expectations. Okay maybe not maybe.

Advertisement
The one thing alot of you are missing in this is that Wayne wasn’t pushed out. He was apparently told we aren’t paying him at a NIL premium anymore. So he can stay but at a huge discount. That’s what multiple sources are alluding to. So Wayne made a smart decision for himself. That’s the NIL era we live in now. We don’t mind giving freshman time to develop but not at an NIL price of what an All American would get. That’s why Samson is being given every opportunity to show what he’s got. Even if it means putting him at OG. All this isn’t that hard to figure out.

The one thing alot of you are missing in this is that Wayne wasn’t pushed out. He was apparently told we aren’t paying him at a NIL premium anymore. So he can stay but at a huge discount. That’s what multiple sources are alluding to. So Wayne made a smart decision for himself. That’s the NIL era we live in now. We don’t mind giving freshman time to develop but not at an NIL price of what an All American would get. That’s why Samson is being given every opportunity to show what he’s got. Even if it means putting him at OG. All this isn’t that hard to figure out.
This. Same thing is done in the NFL off seasons

Advertisement
4th string DE leaving stings as much as 4th string QB leaving
A former top prospect leaving after only 1 yr is equivalent to losing the 4th string qb who was never gna play here...not saying it's some massive loss but it would have been nice to see a young guy like that stick around and continue to grow and compete

It’s all about the replacement for me. I wait until the fall roster is set and then look at the overall picture. So far in my mind it’s kind of like the following trades:
Alstead for Kelly
Clark for JHH
Cook for ?
Martinez (hopefully) for Chaney
? For Citzen
? For Wayne
? For Colby Young
Ward for TVD
Poff for Jacurri
Etc

If we win overall on the trades than WGAF about the evaluations. This is business.

It’s all about the replacement for me. I wait until the fall roster is set and then look at the overall picture. So far in my mind it’s kind of like the following trades:
Alstead for Kelly
Clark for JHH
Cook for ?
? For Citzen
? For Wayne
? For Colby Young
Ward for TVD
Poff for Jacurri
Etc

If we win overall on the trades than WGAF about the evaluations. This is business.
I think Clark was a necessary pick up on his own and wasn’t replacing anyone. Our DT situation is scary right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know it’s been a long time but this is what happens when you create competition for positions. People are going to get passed on the depth chart and look to play elsewhere. You factor in NIL and how it has to be managed like a salary cap, you have to weigh someone’s production/potential vs what they’re getting paid. Guys who got big money to sign but aren’t making an impact on the field are going to be asked to move along. You kind of have to consider it as opening up a little salary cap space for someone who will contribute more. Like a starting DT.

People just can’t seem to grasp this is the new college football. NIL and the portal allow kids to move easily and let coaches push kids out. It’s not just us; every single school has or will deal with these type of transfers to highly recruited guys.

And to those complaining we now have “unproven” talent, exactly what has Wayne “proven” to this point? Because he played snaps? That’s like saying Big Lou gives us “proven postseason experience.” Wayne was just as unproven as the new guys.

Advertisement
All the major new 2024 d linemen better be ready to play now: McConathy, Blount, Artavius, and Scott in particular.

Advertisement
This just makes me think that blowing a ton of nil reserves on a high ranking class maybe isn’t the move
This is like saying NFL teams should only invest in free agency and trade away all draft picks to acquire veterans.

You spend on the HS recruits and then reallocate those funds to impact players in the transfer portal after 1-2 years if the young kids don't progress.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Bain/McConathy/Blount
Clark/Moten/Scott
Cook/Campbell/Horton/Gore/Jones
Mesidor/Alston/Bryant/Lightfoot

We currently have 15 DL, not sure where Pickett and Rudolph are lining up, so lets go 16. How many DL do you normally carry?

People are jumping off bridges, and its definitly not a #'s problem. It would be a #4 DT production, and a #4 DE production and experience problem.

Alstead for Kelly
Clark for JHH
Cook for ?
? For Citzen
? For Wayne
? For Colby Young
Ward for TVD
Poff for Jacurri
Etc

Facts if there saying it's cause we didn't wanna pay him that leaves me to believe these freshman DE are either better are gonna be better or they wouldn't be letting him walk. Mario wants the best and Wayne or Kelly never looked like they were on there way to dominating! As long as dudes like Bain, Jojo, mauignua, Popo aren't leaving we good is what it is bring in a portal filler an recruit a star

People just can’t seem to grasp this is the new college football. NIL and the portal allow kids to move easily and let coaches push kids out. It’s not just us; every single school has or will deal with these type of transfers to highly recruited guys.

And to those complaining we now have “unproven” talent, exactly what has Wayne “proven” to this point? Because he played snaps? That’s like saying Big Lou gives us “proven postseason experience.” Wayne was just as unproven as the new guys.
Multiple reporters and podcasters told us that there would be departures. We were told that it would be painful due to numbers and the need to bring people in.
Now if those dudes knew what was coming, why do people act like the coaches didn’t know?
This was expected and dudes were likely told or the staff was notified about them.
Could some dudes have surprised the staff? Possibly.

I also doubt that coaches haven’t thought about several possibilities that are happening now and likely developed a plan.
However, good plans don’t always pan out.
There are either contingencies or not. We shall see.

Advertisement
Back